Responsible for overseeing all monitoring and evaluation activities, including devising and implementing strategies to ensure data collection and analysis, and collecting, archiving, and reporting program data. The M&E Specialist will also manage the synthesis of project information and coordinate with the programs team and local partners to produce draft weekly, monthly, quarterly, annual, and final reports for review by the COP, as well as special reports upon request. He or she will also collaborate closely with the programs team to maximize and document project impact, and enable Internews staff, partners and donors to learn from programs and each other.
Note: Tanzanian citizens are strongly encouraged to apply. Successful candidate must have work authorization in Tanzania.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Implement all aspects of the performance and impact measurement for Internews in Tanzania, including collection and monitoring of all data, processing and verification.
- Implement and track the project’s approved Monitoring and Evaluation Plan (MELP), including all required submissions of quarterly data, annual PIRS and any other requests.
- Conduct/manage the collection of qualitative and quantitative data per the approved project work plan.
- Responsible for keeping meticulous records, archives, and databases for all activities and ensuring they are updated regularly.
- Work closely with project staff and local partners, and provide training and capacity building in effective and appropriate data collection as well as M&E methodology and tools.
- Provide program support to key program personnel such as the Media and Communications Director and the Sub-grants Officer, as and when required.
- Design, implement and contribute to evaluation methodologies and measurement approaches, above and beyond required indicators.
- Liaise with international impact evaluation consultants and other external experts supporting the program, providing them with information and support as and when is required.
- Draft regular donor narrative reports, as well as any other reports needed for internal and external use.
- Maintain contact with and facilitate two-way communication and feedback with all program staff and local partners to facilitate timely and regular flow of information and data and to ensure that reports are utilized and practical.
- Work with program staff to write human-interest success stories and other communications products about project impact representing a wide range of locations and topics for sharing with general audiences as well as donors.
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
- Bachelor degree in social science, development, or related field or equivalent standard of education. Master’s degree and/or professional training in M&E preferred.
- At least 5 years professional experience in the field of performance measurement for social development activities and/or media. Experience working on USAID-funded projects is highly preferred.
- Familiarity with both qualitative and quantitative data collection and M&E database systems. Knowledge of data management processes and tools, including USAID’s database systems.
- Experience with relevant M&E and communications software, such as Excel, SPSS, In-Design, Photoshop etc.
- Experience working with and providing technical and/or capacity building support to civil society organizations in Tanzania.
- Sensitivity to cross-cultural dynamics in the work place and experience providing technical support to a cross-section of staff and local partners.
- Fluency in English and Kiswahili.
- Solid English writing skills, to a publishable standard. Writing samples required.
- Detail-oriented with strong analytical and information management skills.
- Must be self-reliant, resourceful, good problem-solver, good humored, and flexible.
- Ability to work independently, efficiently and reliably, to a high standard and to deadline.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a diverse staff.
- Willingness to travel to project areas in different locations across the country.
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network’s offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our Internews Benefits page.
About the Organization
Internews is an international non-profit organization whose mission is to empower local media worldwide to give people the news and information they need, the ability to connect and the means to make their voices heard.
Internews provides communities the resources to produce local news and information with integrity and independence. With global expertise and reach, Internews trains both media professionals and citizen journalists, introduces innovative media solutions, increases coverage of vital issues and helps establish policies needed for open access to information.
Internews programs create platforms for dialogue and enable informed debate, which bring about social and economic progress.
Internews’ commitment to research and evaluation creates effective and sustainable programs, even in the most challenging environments.
Internews operates internationally, with administrative centers in California, Washington DC, and London, as well as regional hubs in Bangkok and Nairobi. Formed in 1982, Internews has worked in more than 90 countries, and currently has offices in Africa, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, Latin America and North America.
Internews Network is registered as a 501(c)3 organization in California, EIN 94-3027961. Internews Europe is registered in England and Wales as a Charity no. 1148404 and Company no. 7891107. Internews Network and Internews Europe operate cooperatively with independent boards of directors.