The Sakchyam Access to Finance for the Poor Programme (Sakchyam) is an initiative funded by UKaid as part of an agreement between the Governments of Nepal and the UK. It is implemented by Louis Berger for the Department for International Development (DFID Nepal) in partnership with local and international institutions. The 5-year programme, valued at £20.5 million, is working with the public and private sectors to leverage access and facilitate financial sector development in Nepal for small and medium enterprises (SMEs) and for poor people with a focus on Province No. 5, 6 & 7, and beyond.
To do so, the programme focuses on three main outputs:
- Improved SME Finance as banks and other financial institutions provide more and better products and services to these enterprises.
- Strengthened capacity of microfinance financial institutions (MFIs) as well as other formal and semi-formal financial institutions, to provide services in selected districts.
- Improved financial capability of enterprises and households in priority districts.
Sakchyam is working with commercial bank partners to improve (M)SME financing in Nepal. As part of its engagement, Sakchyam is looking for an experienced and qualified professional to support its select partner banks (3) in design and implementation of a comprehensive MSME strategy. This will include an internal assessment of partner banks, target market assessment, product development and roll out strategy, process flow, training and development of staff, among others. Key responsibilities are as follows:
- Organization review: Assess the institution’s strength, weaknesses and readiness to offer MSME products and services. It will involve thorough review of the institution’s Finance, Human Resource, Credit portfolio, Customers, Policies & Procedures, Distribution channels, MIS and IT.
- Market assessment: Design a framework and oversee market research to identify relevant market clusters and segments, financial and non-financial service needs, value chain linkages, competition and associated risks.
- Product development: Based on assessment of the market and organization, help the institution design/re-design appropriate lending products. It further requires support for pilot testing, roll-out preparation and system set-up including risk management, credit risk assessment and credit scoring model.
- Process and operational set-up: Design and position the organizational structure of the MSME unit, develop job description for the key positions, draft Operation plan for MSME business and design appropriate credit processes and procedures. It also includes specific focus on drafting credit assessment approach, approval & disbursement procedures and credit scoring model development and loan monitoring and management, and a comprehensive Management Information System.
- Training & development: Provide required trainings/ToT in, product design and marketing strategy, credit assessment, sales and service management and other related areas. It also includes drafting toolkits in the key areas.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
The successful candidate should possess adequate knowledge and experiences in formulating downscaling strategy, devising required actions plans, setting up the required structures and training appropriate personnel to make MSME become an essential part of the bank’s core strategy and operation. Key education and relevant experience requirement are:
- An advance degree (master’s or above) in business administration, finance, economics, international development or other relevant field.
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience in banking, finance, development economics
- Demonstrated experience in working with commercial banks in developing countries, preferably in South Asia, on the design and implementation of their downscaling strategy
- Experience in guiding a commercial bank in creating a dedicated MSME vertical
- Experience in product design, especially agriculture value chain financing products
- Experience in developing training manuals and conducting trainings
- Strong communication skills, including interpersonal and in written and oral English.
About the Organization
The Louis Berger Group, Inc. is an internationally recognized consulting firm that provides engineering, architecture, program and construction management, environmental planning and science, and economic development services. We are a devoted and trusted partner to federal, state, and local government agencies; multilateral institutions; and commercial industry. To this diverse client base we bring strategic vision and an entrepreneurial spirit, developing innovative solutions to some of the world’s most challenging problems. Integrated Development (ID), a division within Louis Berger, offers a multi-disciplinary approach to international development.