ACDI/VOCA is seeking a MSME Lending Lead Consultant for the USAID-funded Agriculture and Food Systems Development Activity (AFDA) in Myanmar. The AFDA facilitates the transformation of agriculture and food systems by increasing productivity, inclusiveness, and competitiveness of the agricultural market system in the zone of influence (ZOI) such as Kachin State, Shan State, Mandalay Region, Sagaing Region and Magway Region.
With the short-term assistance of the MSME Lending Lead Consultant, the AFDA will focus on providing technical assistance to National Banks Merger Project in Myanmar specifically in developing for MSME and Agri Lending business based on international cash-flow based methodology to be applied at the Bank. This initiative will create the organizational foundation for the development of comprehensive lending business within the National Banks Merger Project to further roll-out the products and methodology in the long run. Moreover, this project also emphasizes on equipping necessary skills in banking human capital in the Bank via training on the job and classroom training.
The objective of the MSME Lending Lead assignment is to help state-owned banks MEB/MADB’s transition team to set up the organizational foundation in the PMU to develop the methodology, tools and products to increase access to financing for MSMEs including Ag processing MSMEs and farmers in the agriculture sector through the introduction of internationally accepted lending methodology to State-Owned Banks in Myanmar and development of staff capacity to implement this lending methodology.
The anticipated timeframe for this assignment is between July 15, 2020 to December 30, 2020 with up to 100 days of effort. The primary location of this assignment is Yangon, Myanmar. The work may also be done off-site or remotely (i.e. via email exchange or virtual meetings, etc.) should travel restriction due to COVID-19 continue to prevent physical presence at the Bank and face-to-face meetings.
The consultant is responsible to manage and coach sub-teams and their staff , coordinate with other teams like IT and HR to prepare pilot lending related activities using Cash Flow-Based Lending methodology in the merger project of State owned MADB (Myanmar Agriculture Development Bank) and MEB (Myanmar Economic Bank).
Details of the duties and responsibilities are as follows:
- · Set up and manage sub-lending teams of various responsibilities:
o Product development and design for MSME (differentiated for M, S, M), Agriculture, Value Chain and Rural Development. Produce plan on importance of products and locations based on market research.
o Development of cash flow-based lending methodology for Agri businesses
o Development of lending policy and procedures (general and specific)
o Training: Development of training materials and class-room training of loan officers, team leaders, credit risk officers and credit committee members for specific agri loan products
o Developing of credit scoring tools in MRB
o Industry and product research
o Development of specific agri lending marketing material together with marketing department of Myanmar Retail Bank (MRB)
- · Development of detailed work plan for roll-out of trainings and products
- · Design of on-the-job follow-up training for all participants of training
- · Development of HR requirements for all lending staff including detailed hiring procedures and remunerations schemes; cooperation with future HR department of MRB
- · A minimum of 20 years of management and consulting experience in banking (retail banking, commercial banking, development banking, microfinance);
- · At least 10 years’ experience in MSME lending/ Agri Lending and Lending model development;
- · Excellent entrepreneurial and organizational skills, result-oriented;
- · Demonstrated successful experience in technical assistance to MSME and Agri lending projects;
- · Experience with merger and organizational change projects;
- · Strong coaching and technical skills;
- · Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills;
- · Ability to relate to, communicate, and motivate staff effectively; ability to communicate effectively across business and technical teams;
- · Excellent spoken and written English.
Interested consultants should submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org by July 3, 2020:
- CV specifically responding to required qualifications
- Cost proposal – Professional fee daily rate
Only shortlisted candidates considered for an interview will be contacted. ACDI/VOCA is an equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities and people from diverse groups are encouraged to apply.