New Business Associate - Clean Energy, Environment, and Water
Effective with the release of this position announcement, Winrock International will be recruiting applicants for the position of New Business Associate for a Virgina-based position under the Clean Energy, Environment, and Water Unit. The responsibilities, duties, and qualifications are described in the attached position description. Position is contingent upon receipt of donor funding.
Winrock International is a nonprofit organization that works with people in the United States and around the world to empower the disadvantaged, increase economic opportunity, and sustain natural resources. By linking local individuals and communities with new ideas and technology, Winrock is increasing long-term productivity, equity, and responsible resource management to benefit the poor and disadvantaged of the world.
SALARY & BENEFITS:
The salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Applicants should go to https://www.appone.com/MainInfoReq.asp?R_ID=2025396 and submit a current resume and cover letter referencing “New Business Associate.” This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Winrock would like to graciously thank all applicants for their interest but only candidates who meet all requisite criteria and are short listed will be contacted.
Location: Arlington, Virginia
Position Title: New Business Associate: Clean Energy, Environment and Water (CEEW)
Department: Clean Energy, Environment and Water (CEEW)
Reports To: New Business Development Director, CEEW
The New Business Associate (BDA), Clean Energy, Environment and Water (CEEW) position is an important team member who will provide a full range of support to the New Business Development (NBD) for CEEW. S/he will help drive and catalyze new business activities and strategy for CEEW. Under the guidance of the NBD Director, the PA will assist in the new business development process to support technical staff to secure approximately $50 million in funding per year from foundations, private companies, US Government agencies (USAID, MCC, USDA, and others), and other bilateral (e.g., DFID, DFAT and JBIC) or multilateral (such as the World Bank and the Asian Development Bank) donors.
This position provides a tremendous opportunity for growth and increased responsibilities for a highly motivated and capable individual with excellent written and verbal communication skills; a proven track record of supporting senior leaders in securing new clients and in proposal development resulting in program funding and expansion; and the ability to work collaboratively with a multi-disciplinary team of headquarters and field office staff to support the design of successful projects and foster donor relationships. This person must be able to actively engage with a broad array of donors in the public and private sectors, as well as with non-traditional donors. The job may require overseas travel, as determined by the NBD Director, when necessary and appropriate. S/he may also be asked to provide technical or management support on existing contracts.
Support the NBD for the CEEW Group in achieving annual new business targets and long-term growth. This will involve the following:
- Support the NBD Director’s development of the strategic direction for portfolio development, including the development and implementation of a strategic multi-year growth and diversification plan.
- Work with the NBD Director to manage new business pipeline tracking, forecasting, and analysis to improve return on investment, and work to improve processes for business capture and proposal development.
- Work with the NBD Director and technical staff, field offices, partners, and other Winrock teams to conceptualize and design sound technical approaches for new program/funding opportunities.
- Depending upon qualifications and experience, and under the guidance of the NBD Director, lead or contribute to capture efforts (up to and including desk research and intelligence gathering in the DC area and overseas), and the proposal development process on select opportunities. This includes working with proposal teams, as well as ensuring compliance with Winrock and donor requirements and working with HR on recruitment of key personnel.
- Assist the NBD Director to continuously grow and maintain institutional relationships with potential programmatic partners and help prepare teaming agreements, memoranda of understanding, and other institutional agreements with partners.
- Support and assist the NBD in representing Winrock before governments, private sector, and other stakeholders regarding programming and priorities for clean energy, water, ecosystem services, forestry and land use, and possibly attend various meetings (solo) in this capacity.
- Support the NBD in cross-divisional program/project planning, implementation and proposal development.
- Assist and support the NBD in maintaining and growing a diverse network of high quality subject matter experts and consultants, as well as client contacts.
- Assist in the development of marketing materials, in conjunction with appropriate staff.
- Assist the NBD in representing Winrock at high profile events in the United States and overseas.
- Assist the NBD in developing forecasting and tracking systems.
- Conduct additional tasks as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND BACKGROUND:
Education: BS required in fields related to international development, energy, water, forestry and land-use. Master’s Degree preferred, but not required.
Languages: Fluency in English required; fluency in at least one additional language strongly desired.
- At least 2 years of international development/non-profit business development experience required, with experience in Africa and/or Asia preferred.
- Demonstrated commitment to and experience with relevant technical issues and program areas.
- Experience in supporting successful business development efforts with diverse donors, such as the USG (USAID, DoL, MCC, etc.), private sector, foundations, and other independent donors.
- Hands-on experience in supporting the development of proposals/applications to US Government and other bilateral/multilateral agencies strongly preferred.
- Ability to support project planning, budgeting and financial analysis and management.
- Excellent communication, writing, editing, and proof-reading skills.
- Ability to juggle multiple demands, manage shifting priorities, and meet tight deadlines.
- Ability to work collaboratively across teams and institutions.
- Administrative skills and good knowledge of computer applications (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint, Visio).
- Must be a team player with good interpersonal skills.