Job Description Summary:
The Intern for New Business Development will provide full project-cycle proposal research and development services along the continuum of capture through proposal development. The Intern will be based in Arden Hills, MN or Washington, D.C., and may be expected to travel internationally, depending on Covid-19 vaccination availability.
Position Summary and Primary Responsibilities:
The Intern will work within the full project cycle to support the development of new projects funded by the United States Government, primarily through the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA). Intern will receive mentorship from Venture37 Design and Technical services staff and build skills in strategy and pipeline development, teaming strategy, capture and project design. Primary responsibilities will include some of the following:
Tracking and Reporting
- With guidance from capture lead(s), research, track, compare, and evaluate different funding opportunities in Venture37’s core areas and verticals.
- Contribute to the refinement of customer development plans in multiple geographies.
Teaming and Networking
- Identify key influencers at donor organizations, within relevant host country government ministries, private sector/industry players and academia.
- Organize and document meetings with NGOs, private sector organizations, local government to identify local priorities and formulate strategies.
- Create customized corporate qualifications statements in support of teaming communications.
- Support teaming discussions with potential implementing partners and collaboration partners.
- Conduct secondary research and synthesis data to inform capture strategy and design, including review of competitor documents, target country policy briefs, customer development and cooperation strategies and political economy assessments, technical briefs, journal articles and white papers, and relevant agency websites.
- Travel to targeted country with Capture Lead to conduct Key Informant Interviews, meet with local partners, meet with Mission, and/or support execution of round-table events.
- In direct collaboration with Proposal Lead, organize and populate proprietary capture, research, and design management tools.
Capture and Proposal Coordination & Administration
- In direct collaboration with the Capture/Proposal Lead, coordinate proposal teams and processes, keep detailed notes, and ensure strong communication between all contributors.
- Schedule capture team meetings, take notes, and keep proposal teams informed of progress and deadlines working with capture/proposal leads.
- Develop and track capture and proposal budgets, prepare monthly spending updates.
- Identify, mobilize, and manage delivery of outputs by technical consultants.
- Organize and maintain project proposal sites in Land O’Lakes online knowledge management system.
- Manage and review proposal inputs of sub-partners.
- Support administrative management of expense reporting associated with travel.
- Format proposal documents and coordinate delivery.
Contribute to Technical and Cost Proposal Development and Production
- Assist in the writing and production of selected components of proposal documents such as past performance reviews, drafting corporate capability statements or management sections or other roles as needed, during proposal development.
- Develop personnel sections, format CVs with support of Proposal Lead and HR.
- Contribute to project design sessions.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Contribute research and thought leadership to Venture37’s Communities of Practice. Potential areas include: Climate Smart Agriculture, Market Systems Development, Gender and Youth Social Inclusion, Animal Sourced Foods, and Nutrition, etc.
Reporting & Supervision:
The Intern will report to a New Business Development Senior Manager.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- A recent graduate or currently in pursuit of a Bachelor’s or graduate-level degree, preferably in International Development, International Affairs, Public Policy, Plant Science, Animal Science, Food Systems, Business Administration, or other relevant field.
- Exceptional primary- and secondary-source research skills.
- Familiarity with international donor-funded projects with an agriculture focus; familiarity with proposal development process is an added advantage.
- Demonstrated interest in international development issues. Developing-country work and volunteer experience desired.
- Demonstrated leadership, ethics, and sound judgment, both independently and as part of a team. Ability to maintain maturity and patience, interpret and implement company policy, and adjust quickly to change in fast-paced, multicultural team environment.
- Strong skills and experience with MS Office Products with the ability to learn additional software packages.
- Excellent organizational skills with an emphasis on attention to detail and accurate record keeping.
- Strong collaboration and facilitation skills to establish and maintain good working relationships with global colleagues and partners in multi-country and multi-language settings.
- Excellent English language writing skills. Fluency in French, Arabic and/or Portuguese language skills is an added advantage.
About the Organization
Land O'Lakes Venture37 is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit committed to helping communities around the world build economies by strengthening local agriculture, helping agribusinesses create jobs and linking farmers to markets. Since 1981, it has implemented over 315 integrated dairy, livestock and crops development programs in nearly 80 countries — creating lasting impact by linking farmers, businesses, and the public and private sector in local and global contexts. Land O’Lakes Venture37’s long-standing affiliation with Land O’Lakes, Inc. sets it apart. Land O’Lakes, Inc. is one of America’s largest farmer-owned cooperatives. It supports Land O’Lakes Venture37 project implementation with nearly 100 years of expertise in dairy, animal nutrition, crop inputs and agricultural insights and technologies. This gives Land O’Lakes Venture37 development projects a unique global view of agriculture, food and the power of well-functioning market systems. Land O’Lakes, Inc. supports these efforts as part of its enterprise purpose of Feeding Human Progress at home and around the world.