Join the Media Platform for the Global Development Community
You: a sharp editor and strong manager who keeps the trains on time and cultivates an open, dynamic newsroom.
Us: the Washington Post called Devex the Bloomberg of foreign aid. We’re a buzzed-about social enterprise committed to changing the world by serving our audience of one million aid workers and development professionals.
If you’re eager to use your editorial chops and newsroom leadership skills to make a real difference for people everywhere and to continue building one of the most exciting new media platforms in the world, we’d love to meet.
You will have an opportunity to grow and learn from sharp, committed colleagues, and be part of an innovative culture that’s low on bureaucracy and high on impact (and fun). Get to know us better by checking out our tumblr page.
Why this position is great for you:
- We cover the most important issues in the world, from eradicating malaria and polio to fighting climate change to ending poverty in our time
- Our news team gets to know some of the most inspiring leaders in the world, from heads of state to celebrities to philanthropists to aid workers making a difference on the ground
- Our journalists and editors produce news stories, features, interviews, investigations, multimedia projects, OpEds and online events and have a sustainable business model to do it.
- Professionals at NGOs like Save the Children, CARE, ONE, Gates Foundation and more rely on us to be in-the-know
- We’re a dynamic social enterprise that’s growing fast and that has an open, collaborative culture
- No bureaucracy here: you’ll get to own your work and will get the support you need
- Want to get ahead? We’re filled with stories of people who joined Devex and moved up, and up, and up. And that’s exactly what we’re looking for from you.
- Like to travel? There are lots of opportunities to get out to where the stories are happening.
What we need from you:
Reporting directly to our President & Editor-in-Chief, the Devex News Editor is our top newsroom position. The main responsibilities of the Devex News Editor are…
- Leading a fast-growing team of 20+ full-time journalists and dozens of freelance reporters and contributors
- Running the operations of our newsroom: directing the editorial calendar; assigning stories; organizing coverage of events and breaking news
- Being the lead editor at Devex: helping to plan major features with reporters; editing and signing-off pieces before publication
- Playing a key content management role: determining story line-ups in newsletters; deciding what to feature; leading content managers to connect news coverage to other Devex content such as our survey and research capabilities
- Other areas you would play a lead role include developing the most effective internal workflow, processes, and policies; major reporting efforts including investigations and features; recruiting and onboarding top-tier journalists; and cultivating specialist freelancers and bloggers
To fit well in this role you must be a sharp thinker, an excellent writer and editor, and someone with the leadership and communications skills that attract colleagues to want to work with you. You also must have…
- At least 10 years of work experience as a journalist
- At least 3 years of experience as an editor
- Experience in the developing world and a global mindset
- Relevant undergraduate degree & existing work authorization
Besides the basic requirements, here’s what we’d love to see…
- Significant management experience
- Work experience at a major cutting-edge media brand
- A solid grasp of reporting for niche professional audiences learned on the job
- You haven’t just heard of the World Bank and the Gates Foundation; you actually know what they do and how they work
This position can be based in any of three Devex offices: Washington, DC, Barcelona, or London - but pre-existing work authorization is required. Get the conversation started by submitting an application today!
About the Organization
Devex is the media platform for the global development community. As a social enterprise, we connect and inform development, health, humanitarian and sustainability professionals through news, business intelligence and funding & career opportunities so you can do more good for more people. Devexers live our mission, and bring their top-notch academic and professional credentials to work every day to change the world.