RTI is currently accepting applications for the position of Research Associate to support our work in global health within the International Development Group. Applications will be reviewed and shortlisted on an ongoing basis. Therefore, candidates should apply immediately.
The Research Associate (RA) will work primarily on supporting research for neglected tropical diseases (NTD). This includes conducting literature reviews; providing support on research design, data collection, analysis and write up of NTD and other GHD studies; and support for proposal writing to secure external operations research funds. This position will report to the senior NTD researcher, is a core member of the GHD team and supports all GHD program goals. RTI is recruiting for an RA in Washington, DC. The position may require international travel. The successful candidate must be available to start in the position by April 1, 2020.
The successful candidate must demonstrate the following: an exceptional ability to rapidly gather and synthesize relevant technical information, write technically, and to plan and organize work. They must follow through on agreed upon actions, while maintaining a positive and productive attitude with other team members in a fast-paced and demanding environment. S/he must be energetic and show initiative, demonstrate a willingness to take on challenges, while at the same time appreciating the scope of the position and the role within the team.
• Support NTD and wider GHD teams to conduct desk reviews and background research as required.
• Support project implementation and operational research activities, e.g. development of research procedures and training documents, design and use of quantitative and qualitative data collection tools, and data analysis.
• Support write-up, presentation and dissemination of project outputs, e.g. peer-reviewed manuscripts, presentations, reports, blogs, and social media.
• Support preparation of technical documents for external research proposals
Operational and Administrative (30%)
• Support IRB applications;
• Set up and support management of meetings as needed, including setting up invites, supporting agenda development and taking notes;
• Manage set up of interview schedules;
• Support the manager of the RTI’s strategic investment fund (SIF) on NTDs with management of proposal applications and follow up of accepted studies as needed;
• Provide operational support for conferences, workshops and related activities;
• Provide support to recruitment and onboarding of interns and oversee their work at RTI;
• Work with GHD Communications staff to solicit and manage photos, descriptions, credits, etc.—to be used for briefs, websites, and annual reports;
• A bachelor’s degree in a relevant social science field, with related professional experience.
• Proven excellent oral and written communication skills;
• Proven experience in data collection and analysis;
• Proficient organizational and administrative support skills and abilities with attention to detail;
• Strong computer skills (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint).
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and meet deadlines under pressure.
• Excellent soft skills, including include strong interpersonal and communication skills, a problem-solving attitude, and being a self-starter who works both independently and as a collaborative team player.
• Ability to travel internationally.
• Knowledge of global health, specifically, neglected tropical diseases.
• Language skills in French .
• Prior experience working, studying, or traveling in developing countries a plus.
RTI International is an independent, nonprofit institute that provides research, development and technical services to government and commercial clients worldwide. With a staff of more than 4,000 people, RTI’s mission is to improve the human condition by turning knowledge into practice.