Advisor, Nutrition | Opportunities
Save the Children seeks a Nutrition Advisor for the anticipated USAID-funded Multi-sectoral Nutrition Activity in Tanzania. The Nutrition Advisor will be responsible for strategic planning, coordination, and technical implementation of innovative integrated nutrition and social behavior change communication (SBCC) activities in the target areas. This senior-level nutrition and SBCC technical expert will build capacity of local staff in SBCC and nutrition throughout project design and implementation. The Nutrition Advisor will also work closely with the monitoring and evaluation specialist to ensure progress is being achieved towards nutrition targets. S/he will establish and maintain close and effective liaison with project and government partners to facilitate flow of information concerning research, policies, government strategic plans/guidelines program progress and to stay abreast of current trends including participation in relevant nutrition working groups and policy fora.
This position is contingent upon donor approval and funding.
Essential Duties, Responsibilities and Impact
- Provide senior-level technical support for the overall integrated, cross-cutting strategic approach of the project including nutrition, food security, gender mainstreaming, and SBCC.
- Lead the overall implementation of the integrated nutrition specific and sensitive activities in collaboration with Ministry of Health, Regional/Council health management team and project implementing partners.
- Provide all nutrition and quality improvement technical support to project staff, implementing partners, districts, health facilities and other relevant stakeholders.
- Participate in nutrition technical working groups and other relevant policy foras.
- Ensure project implementation is aligned with government policies and strategic plans and guidelines.
- Lead/oversee the development and ensure availability of technical resource materials, guidelines, training manuals, ASBCC tools and job aids as necessary.
- Provide support to LGAs (Regional and district nutrition officers) during planning, budgeting and monitoring of nutrition interventions.
- Lead development of project annual work plans, reports as well as documentation of lessons learns and best practices.
- Work with M&E specialist to oversee and coordinate formative and evaluative research using participatory methodologies to build local capacity and to design high impact interventions based on the social and cultural context in target areas.
- Based on research findings and stakeholder consultations, coordinate with the technical team to lead the development of evidence-based nutrition and SBCC tools and materials.
- Provide technical oversight for the design, development, and implementation of all nutrition and SBCC tools and training materials in collaboration with government and relevant stakeholders to maintain a quality and consistent approach across all target areas and technical interventions.
Required Background and Experience, Skills and Behaviors
- Minimum of 10 years of experience managing community based health, nutrition, and/or food security programs in Africa contexts and preferably, in Tanzania.
- Post-graduate education (master’s or higher), in public health, nutrition, food security, or related field.
- Demonstrated experience in management of large, community-based and inter-disciplinary teams.
- A history of providing technical assistance to government to improve nutrition programs through governmental health systems, processes and service delivery models, and behavior change communication in developing countries.
- Solid experience developing behavior change training tools and materials.
- Experience developing and implementing a behavior change communication strategy for the program, focusing on creating demand for community and clinic-based health and nutrition services.
- Demonstrated problem solving skills, collaboration experience, creativity and willingness to innovate.
- Familiarity and understanding of USAID policies and procedures, or those of other donors, or those of donor-funded projects or community-based projects.
- Demonstrated ability to address behavior change issues in improving household nutrition status.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to lead and work effectively in team situations.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Extensive experience working in Sub-Saharan Africa; work experience in Tanzania highly desirable.
- Qualified Tanzanian nationals are highly encouraged to apply.
About the Organization
Save the Children invests in childhood – every day, in times of crisis and for our future. In the United States and around the world, we are dedicated to ensuring every child has the best chance for success. Our pioneering programs give children a healthy start, the opportunity to learn and protection from harm. Our advocacy efforts provide a voice for children who cannot speak for themselves. As the leading expert on children, we inspire and achieve lasting impact for millions of the world's most vulnerable girls and boys. By transforming children's lives now, we change the course of their future and ours.