Nutrition Consultant (DFSA) – Scope of Work
Duration: November 1, 2019 – April 30, 2020 with possibility to renew
Hours/Week: Full-Time, 40 hours/week
Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
CRS is seeking a Nutrition Consultant to play a key role in the design and development of a large multiyear, multisectoral intervention in Mali that seeks to improve and sustain the food and nutrition security of vulnerable populations. It is anticipated that the nutrition design will include prevention of chronic and acute malnutrition, and multisectoral approaches to address malnutrition in children under 5.
The selected consultant will be a key part of a program design team and lead on all nutrition related aspects of the design process. This will include conducting any assessments as necessary, carrying out reviews of all relevant data and literature on the subject, and meeting key nutrition stakeholders in Mali. S/he will also contribute to the proposal narrative and budget and liaise with relevant partners and the donor if necessary.
- Relevant, pertinent, integrated, and impactful nutrition design for the intervention
- Draft of nutrition-related sections for the proposal narrative
- Realistic, cost effective budget for nutrition activities
- Any other nutrition related annexes deemed necessary during the proposal design process
- Masters or PhD in Nutrition, Public Health or related technical field.
- Minimum of five years relevant international working experience in an advisory or management role with progressive responsibilities, ideally with an international NGO, with minimum of three years working for programming interventions in the field of nutrition
- Previous experience providing technical assistance and developing successful nutrition proposals for external donor funding, particularly US government, is required.
- Demonstrated application of technical principles and concepts in nutrition, particularly in infant and young child feeding and nutritional practices as well as community empowerment and systems strengthening. General knowledge of other related disciplines to ensure proper cross-sectoral approach.
- Experience in business development, project design and proposal development in Nutrition, including technical writing.
- Experience in multisectoral approaches to prevent malnutrition including WaSH in Nutrition
- Knowledge of Mali and/or West Africa particularly in the context of malnutrition
- Fluency in English and French required
- Strong analytical and communication skills.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent relationship management skills with ability to influence and get buy-in from people not under direct supervision and to work with individuals in diverse geographical and cultural settings.
- Strong strategic, analytical, problem-solving and systems thinking skills with capacity to see the big picture and ability to make sound judgment
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong presentation, facilitation, training, mentoring, and coaching skills
- Proactive, resourceful and results-oriented
- Ability to work under pressure and with tight deadlines
Key Working Relationships:
Internal: Proposal development team, regional and global nutrition advisers,
External: Partners and key nutrition stakeholders in Mali
To Apply: Please send a resume and cover letter, constituting your Expression of Interest for this consultancy, by October 25, 2019 to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer