Assist in the direct implementation of nutrition interventions which may include screening, treatment of severe acute malnutrition, moderate acute malnutrition, or provision of blanket supplementary feeding. He/She will provide supervision and training to local staff to allow them to implement the programmes. The nutrition manager is also in charge of writing daily and weekly reports, developing and ensuring good quality data collection, recording, analysis and storage, assist with ensuring adequate stocks, provide training to local staff as needed, and monitor overall nutrition situation in the area of intervention.
Provision of nutrition services to children under 5 and pregnant and lactating women in Aweil Center, which includes both semi-urban and rural sites.
Take a look at Medair’s Health & Nutrition work.
Field based position in Aweil Town, South Sudan. Take a look at Medair’s work in South Sudan.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
- Conduct daily supervision to clinics and other nutrition facilities for support and supervision.
- Provide training for local staff in line with the appropriate international and South Sudan guidelines.
- Ensure that regular monitoring and evaluation of intervention implementation.
- Provide input into the integration of beneficiary participation in all aspects of the project.
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting of activities for internal and external reports.
- Manage the local nutrition team including recruitment, day-to-day management, development and training, appraisals, etc.
- Ensure the team receives relevant supervision, coaching, and training in order to develop their personal and professional skills, knowledge and understanding.
- Promote the health and security of the nutrition team.
- Assist in the recruitment of local field staff following all HR policies of Medair and the Government.
- Manage finances within the field location and coordinate petty cash requirements.
Communication & Coordination
- Maintain appropriate and regular communication structures with the assigned nutrition team, managers and advisors and other relevant stakeholders (e.g. beneficiaries, community leaders, NGOs).
- Represent Medair at local level coordination meetings involving local authorities, UN and other NGOs.
- Manage the correct and timely ordering of needed stocks and supplies to the field location.
- Manage all stocks within the field location ensuring proper stock keeping records are in place.
- Monitor expiration dates of all stocks in the field location to ensure timely use.
- Implement relevant policies and standards relating to health service delivery including Sphere and HAP standards, Ministry of Health and donor guidelines and other good practice.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Degree in Foods, Nutrition and Dietetics, Health or Public Health.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- 2 years of post-qualification experience as nutritionist.
- Experience working in a nutrition programme in a developing country.
- Able to set clear objectives for staff and to delegate. Team-player with good inter-personal skills.
- Excellent organisational skills and good communicator. Project implementation and management skills.
- Willingness to support others and to share workload.
- Aptitude for community mobilisation and capacity-building.
- Capacity to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels.
- Good CMAM programme knowledge.
- Good report writing, data collection, analysis, problem solving and capacity building skills.
- Able to develop effective relationships with colleagues, beneficiaries and local authorities.
- Committed to consultative and servant minded leadership.
- This is a field-based position and working and living conditions may be very different to that previously experienced.
Before you apply, please ensure you are fully aware of the:
- Medair organisational values.
- Profiles sought for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
- Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
- Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS)
Then to apply, go to the “Current Vacancies” page, then:
apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile), or
apply for a Medair ROC (where we can try and match your competencies to our vacancy needs)
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed. Medair does not set closing / deadline dates for applications; recruitment is on-going until the position is filled.
About the Organization
Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world’s most remote and devastated places. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality. As signatories of the Red Cross Code of Conduct, we believe that aid should be given to everyone who is in need, regardless of political, social or religious viewpoint. We save lives in emergencies and then stay to help people recover from crisis with dignity—working side by side with communities to leave a lasting impact. We provide a range of emergency relief and recovery services: health care and nutrition; safe water, sanitation, and hygiene; shelter and infrastructure.