Role & Responsibilities
Facilitate the achievement of nutrition objectives to reduce morbidity and mortality in South Sudan by delivering quality emergency nutrition services in South Sudan. The nutrition manager will achieve this by assisting in the direct implementation of nutrition interventions which may include screening, treatment of severe acute malnutrition, moderate acute malnutrition, or provision of blanket supplementary feeding. Providing supervision and training to local staff to allow them to implement the programmes. The nutrition manager is also in charge of writing reports daily and weekly reports, developing and ensuring good quality data collection, recording, analysis and storage, assist with ensuring adequate stocks, provide training to local staff as needed, and monitor overall nutrition situation in the area of intervention and observe for potential outbreaks.
Multi-sector emergency response programme including provision of emergency health, nutrition and WASH services for vulnerable populations in South Sudan.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Aweil Town, South Sudan. Basic living conditions in the field/ during field trips**. Take a look at Medair’s work in** South Sudan.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 9 months.
Key Activity Areas
- Undertake the implementation, management, supervision and support of the assigned nutrition field interventions in line with the activity plan and time frame of the relevant project proposal and any applicable national and international guidelines and standards.
- Conduct daily supervision to clinics and other nutrition facilities for support and supervision.
- Provide training for local staff in line with the appropriate international and South Sudan guidelines.
- Ensure that regular monitoring and evaluation of intervention implementation.
- Provide input into the integration of beneficiary participation and accountability in the project.
- Oversee the process of data collection, collation and dissemination to meet the requirements and deadlines.
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting of activities for reports requested by field managers, GSO and donors.
- Input into the development of the country strategy, new projects and/or donor proposals.
- Assist the Project Manager to manage and oversee the assigned local nutrition team including recruitment, day-to-day management, development and training, appraisals, etc. The team may include certified health staff (e.g. medical assistants, community health workers), other nutrition staff and support staff.
- Assist to facilitate regular team meetings with the assigned nutrition team, reviewing team and individual objectives, ensuring team members are kept informed of issues and providing an opportunity for feedback.
- Ensure the assigned nutrition team members receive relevant and appropriate supervision, coaching, mentoring and training in order to develop their personal and professional skills, knowledge and understanding. This may be through on-the-job training and taught sessions.
- Promote the health and security of the nutrition team by ensuring the application of security guidelines, health and safety in the workplace and healthy living conditions and practices.
- Assist in the recruitment of local field staff within Aweil following all HR policies of Medair and the Government of South Sudan.
- Work with the PM and other Nutrition Managers to manage finances within the field location.
- Coordinate and oversee petty cash requirements of the intervention team, ensuring all required paperwork is completed accurately and in a timely manner.
Communication and Coordination
- Maintain appropriate communication structures with the assigned nutrition team, Medair in-country health and nutrition managers and advisors and other relevant stakeholders.
- Represent Medair at local level coordination meetings involving local authorities, other NGOs, etc.
- Manage all stocks within the field location ensuring proper stock keeping records are in place.
- Manage the correct and timely ordering of needed stocks and supplies to the field location in coordination with the Project Manager.
- Promote and use the Medair intranet and other operating procedures, ensuring that all standardised formats are used and guidelines are followed.
- Implement relevant policies and standards relating to health service delivery including Sphere and HAP standards, Ministry of Health and donor guidelines and other good practice.
- Participate in Medair internal workshops and distance learning sessions to keep up with changing trends, new guidelines and best practices.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Degree in Foods, Nutrition and Dietetics, Health, nursing, medical or Public Health.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- 2 years of post-qualification experience as nutritionist.
- Experience working in a nutrition programme in a developing country, in a humanitarian context.
- Project implementation and management skills. Good CMAM programme knowledge.
- Computer literate with good working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint.
- Good report writing skills. Good data collection and analysis skills. Good Staff capacity building skills.
- Able to develop and maintain effective relationships with colleagues, beneficiaries, and local authorities.
- Good Staff capacity building skills. Able to set clear objectives for staff and to delegate.
How to apply
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
a) Medair organisational values
b) Medair is committed to safeguarding the protection of beneficiaries, volunteers, staff and partners, and particularly children. Therefore, we do not employ staff whose background we understand to be unsuitable for working with children. Medair staff are required to give the utmost respect to, and comply with, Medair’s accountability policies and best practices
c) Key Profiles & Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
d) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
To apply, go to this vacancy on our Medair page.
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.
About the Organization
Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world’s most remote and devastated places. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality. As signatories of the Red Cross Code of Conduct, we believe that aid should be given to everyone who is in need, regardless of political, social or religious viewpoint. We save lives in emergencies and then stay to help people recover from crisis with dignity—working side by side with communities to leave a lasting impact. We provide a range of emergency relief and recovery services: health care and nutrition; safe water, sanitation, and hygiene; shelter and infrastructure.