Role and Responsibilities
Develop, lead, monitor and evaluate the assigned nutrition project(s), with support from sector advisors. Develop, lead implementation and ensure adequate monitoring and evaluation for effective management and reporting on the project activities in line with the objectives, time frame and budget with a focus on nutrition system strengthening, training and coordination. Provide technical support and leadership, manage and train nutrition staff to meet quality standards in nutrition delivery, anticipate, plan, and contribute to the development of new nutrition project proposals and reports.
Medair Afghanistan is a complex and dynamic country programme due to instability related to politics and security. Medair has been operating in Afghanistan since 1996, is currently multi-sectoral projects in nutrition, WASH and food security in vulnerable communities in Kabul, the Central Highlands and Southern Afghanistan. There are plans to expand the current programme into new areas and potentially new sectors, as well as growing and strengthening local partnerships. Take a look at Medair’s Health & Nutrition work.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Central Highlands, Afghanistan. Take a look at Medair’s work in Afghanistan.
Starting Date/ Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, short-term contract of 3 to 6 months.
Key Activity Areas
Nutrition Project Management
- Provide strong leadership of the assigned nutrition project(s), working to ensure both short and long-term positive impacts and outcomes for the beneficiaries, local nutrition authorities and staff.
- Continuously monitor and supervise nutrition activities, evaluating progress through outputs and impacts using both quantitative and qualitative data, and involving the nutrition team in analysis and taking appropriate action as needed to ensure continued progress.
- Works closely with other sectors to achieve seamless integration in implementation and results.
- Contribute to development and implementation of effective nutrition strategy.
- Set clear objectives and indicators for nutrition activities in collaboration with the country nutrition advisor, nutrition staff, field managers and with the local communities.
- Line-manage the Nutrition Managers, BCC Manager, WASH and Food Security Manager including day-to-day management, development and training, appraisals, etc.
- Facilitate regular meetings to assist information sharing between project staff, ensuring staff members are aware of project objectives and current work plans and to provide the opportunity for feedback.
- Provide coaching to managers in project cycle, data collection, reporting and budget management and technical supervision to nutrition staff in order to develop ownership and full responsibility for project activities. Ensure staff receive adequate technical supervision.
- Assess the training needs of nutrition staff and ensure that appropriate technical training is conducted.
- Manage the nutrition budget for the assigned project(s) and ensure all expenses are according to budget and meet the Medair standards with regard to financial management, including accountability and good governance.
Communication and Coordination
- Participate in relevant coordination meetings, Medair internal trainings, and other working groups or meetings as required, representing Medair and feeding back to the nutrition project staff and on relevant issues.
- Develop the procurement plan and ensure purchase requests are submitted in a timely manner to maintain project activities.
- Ensure nutrition projects are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards i.e. Sphere and HAP standards.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Higher level qualification, preferably in nutrition or in another relevant field such as nursing/midwifery/doctor/ community-based training .
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- 2 years post-qualification professional experience in a relevant field.
- 1 year experience working in a nutrition / health programme in a developing country, preferably in a humanitarian context; management experience in a nutrition / health context.
- Experience in the design, monitoring of implementation and evaluation of CMAM programmes desirable; Experience working in an insecure environment desirable.
- Knowledge and experience of nutrition / primary health care principles and management.
- Knowledge of humanitarian principles, Sphere and HAP Standards.
- Experience in training / mentoring / coaching staff; aptitude for community mobilisation and capacity-building; team-player with good inter-personal skills.
- Creative, open-minded, flexible, self-learner.
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
- Medair organisational values.
- Profiles and benefits package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
- Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
To apply, go to the ”Current Vacancies” page then:
- apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile), or
- apply for a Medair ROC (where we can try and match your competencies to our vacancy needs).
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.
About the Organization
Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world’s most remote and devastated places. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality. As signatories of the Red Cross Code of Conduct, we believe that aid should be given to everyone who is in need, regardless of political, social or religious viewpoint. We save lives in emergencies and then stay to help people recover from crisis with dignity—working side by side with communities to leave a lasting impact. We provide a range of emergency relief and recovery services: health care and nutrition; safe water, sanitation, and hygiene; shelter and infrastructure.