Develop, lead, monitor and evaluate the assigned nutrition project(s), effectively managing and reporting on the projects in line with the objectives, time frame and budget with a focus on nutrition system strengthening, training and coordination. Provide leadership, strategic direction and technical support, manage and capacity build Nutrition Managers in meeting quality standards in nutrition service delivery, behaviour change communication and project cycle management, encourage beneficiary participation, and liaise and coordinate with external stakeholders. Anticipate, plan, and contribute to the development of new nutrition and/or related project proposals and reports.
Medair has been operating in Afghanistan since 1996, and is currently implementing multi-sectoral projects in nutrition, WASH and food security in vulnerable communities in Kabul, the Central Highlands and Southern Afghanistan. There are plans to expand the current programme into new areas and potentially new sectors, as well as growing and strengthening local partnerships. Take a look at Medair’s Health & Nutrition work.
Field based position in Kandahar, Afghanistan. Take a look at Medair’s work in Afghanistan.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 24 months
Key Activity Areas
Nutrition Project Management
- Provide strong leadership of the assigned nutrition project(s), working to ensure both short and long-term positive impacts and outcomes for the beneficiaries, local nutrition authorities and local staff.
- Contribute to development and implementation of an appropriate and effective nutrition strategy including proactive planning for responsible exit.
- Set clear objectives and indicators for nutrition activities.
- Continuously monitor and supervise nutrition activities, evaluating progress through outputs and impacts using both quantitative and qualitative data, and involving the nutrition team in analysis and taking appropriate action as needed to ensure continued progress.
- Provide input into the integration of beneficiary participation and accountability.
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting of activities according to Medair, donor, etc.
- Develop new proposals, linked to the assessed needs and gaps and the Medair country strategy, in conjunction with the country nutrition advisor and relevant field managers.
- Line-manage the Nutrition Managers, including day-to-day management, development and training, appraisals, etc. It may also be necessary at times to line manage other nutrition project staff.
- Facilitate regular meetings to assist information sharing between project staff, ensuring staff members are aware of project objectives and current work plans and to provide the opportunity for feedback.
- Provide coaching and technical supervision of Nutrition Managers, as well as capacity build them in project cycle and budget management, in order to develop ownership and responsibility.
- Assess the training needs of nutrition staff and ensure that appropriate training is conducted.
- Manage the nutrition budget for the assigned project(s) and ensure all expenses are according to budget and meet the Medair standards with regard to financial management.
Communication and Coordination
- Participate in nutrition coordination meetings, Medair internal trainings, and other working groups or meetings as required, representing Medair and feeding back to the nutrition staff and managers.
- Support and plan the logistics activities of nutrition programming, particularly in relation to the purchasing of medicines, supplies and equipment for the assigned nutrition facilities and activities and monitoring for sufficient buffer stock.
- Ensure nutrition projects are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards i.e. Sphere and HAP standards.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Higher level qualification, preferably in nutrition or in another relevant field such as nursing/midwifery/doctor/community-based training.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- 2 years post-qualification professional experience in a relevant field.
- Management experience in a nutrition / health context.
- Experience in training / mentoring / coaching staff. Problem solving ability.
- Ability to manage project implementation. Aptitude for community mobilisation and capacity-building.
- Good numerical, report writing and administration skills.
- Knowledge of humanitarian principles, Sphere and HAP Standards.
- Able to prioritise clearly, oversee multiple tasks, take the initiative, set clear objectives and to delegate.
- This is a field-based position and working and living conditions may be very different to that previously experienced.
Before you apply, please ensure you are fully aware of the:
- Medair organisational values.
- Profiles sought for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
- Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
- Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
Then to apply, go to the “Current Vacancies” page, then:
apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile), or
apply for a Medair ROC (where we can try and match your competencies to our vacancy needs)
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed. Medair does not set closing / deadline dates for applications; recruitment is on-going until the position is filled.
About the Organization
Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world’s most remote and devastated places. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality. As signatories of the Red Cross Code of Conduct, we believe that aid should be given to everyone who is in need, regardless of political, social or religious viewpoint. We save lives in emergencies and then stay to help people recover from crisis with dignity—working side by side with communities to leave a lasting impact. We provide a range of emergency relief and recovery services: health care and nutrition; safe water, sanitation, and hygiene; shelter and infrastructure.