Job DescriptionJob Summary:
Responsible for tracking and monitoring the overall financial status of Global Health, Population and Nutrition (GHPN) Business Unit. Ensures prudent business management of the portfolio of projects within GHPN and provides support and guidance to leadership and staff. Works with the GHPN Leadership to develop, address and monitor strategic and long-term financial business direction. Identifies potential financial and compliance risks and notifies appropriate units and/or management to prompt action toward resolution. Leads efforts to develop and improve financial operations through efficient and effective integrated processes, implements common management processes/services to leverage organization resources. Directs financial review of cost and service structures, productivity measures and delivery methods to achieve planned targets. Selects, develops and evaluates personnel to ensure the efficient operation of the function.
Applied Knowledge & Skills:
- Works with team leadership to align budgets to goals and strategy.
- Represents department on working committees addressing financial topics.
- Works under minimal supervision on projects impacting one function or multiple cross functional processes.
- Effectively manages the elicitation and documentation of business needs, requirements and solutions into work products in support of projects.
- Applies maturing knowledge of business manager tools and deliverables. Serves as a resource to less experienced team members.
- Acquires and applies general knowledge of the business, its products, and processes.
- Financial and business planning – translates business goals into financial and budget plans - Prepares reports and monitors against financial/budget plans – maintains all financial reports and communicates to the leadership team.
- Provides recommendations on areas for departmental or implementation process improvements.
- Enhances the GHPN, departmental and organizational reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different strategies; exploring opportunities to add value to project accomplishments.
- Ensures the accuracy and integrity of the financial books and records for the Business Unit.
- Creates and maintains financial procedures and policies for GHPN and establishes necessary controls.
- Interacts with management on financial plans, processes, and projects to achieve the GHPN’s and organization’s goals. Provides relevant reports and analyses.
- Interacts with senior management and senior level staff of Corporate Finance.
- Provides support, guidance, and training related to financial management of the portfolio of projects.
- Communicates lessons learned and expands knowledge and proper implementation of financial and related compliance procedures.
- Facilitates interaction and cooperation between internal stakeholders.
- Analyzes monthly management reports summarizing project, management, and development account expenditures versus budgets and obligated funds.
- Supervises/monitors spending on management and development accounts.
- Prepares and/or supervises preparation of forecasts for overhead accounts to ensure expenditures are on target and within budget.
- Works with the GHPN management team to prepare management and development budgets and pre-approve them for final authorization by GHPN Director and approval by the CEO and COO.
- Facilitates monthly Portfolio Reviews with appropriate Enterprise Services and Operations representatives.
- Follows up with Project Directors and finance staff as required.
- With input from Project and Department Directors, prepares annual GHPN-level project budget and annual direct base budget; prepares/monitors annual management and development account budgets.
- Alerts GHPN Director and Project Directors to budget risks; ensures that appropriate risk authorization documents are processed, and steps are taken to resolve issues.
- Serves as liaison for GHPN-level interaction with Corporate Finance. Meets regularly with, and responds to tasks delegated by, the CFO, COO, , Accounting, and others.
- Manages or coordinates cross-business unit or cross-department initiatives sponsored by the COO.
- Advocates for adoption of standardized financial procedures and monitoring systems throughout the Organization to assure compliance with both client and corporate policies.
- Performs other duties assigned
Problem Solving & Impact:
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of concepts, practices, and procedures with financial operations and management.
- Demonstrates excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrates excellent organizational and presentation skills.
- Demonstrates excellent project management skills.
- Demonstrates the ability to influence, motivate, and negotiate and works well with others.
- Must be able to read, write and speak fluent English.
- Works on problems of complex scope that require in depth evaluation of data and various factors.
- Resolves complex multi-sector issues affecting the business operations of the Business Unit; and facilitates better interaction and cooperation between the Business Unit and enterprise services departments.
- Exercises judgment within broadly defined practices and policies in selecting methods, and techniques for obtaining results.
- Decisions made generally affect the organization’s operations and may impact overall business activities.
- Manages staff to meet the Business Unit’s, department’s, and organization’s strategic goals.
- Sets goals and budgets, develops and implements procedures, and trains staff to achieve results.
- Develops and recommends solutions to management to meet internal and external needs of the company.
- Typically reports to Chief Operating Officer or Business Unit Director.
- Bachelor’s Degree or its International Equivalent in Accounting, Business Administration, Finance or Related Field.
- Master’s Degree preferred.
- Certification in Project Management (PMP or PRINCE II) preferred.
Typical Physical Demands:
- Typically requires 15+ years of finance/business management experience.
- Demonstrated experience with financial and contractual management of USAID contracts and cooperative agreements including budget design, financial oversight, and expenditure projections.
- Non-governmental organization (NGO) experience preferred.
Technology to be Used:
- Typical office environment.
- Ability to spend long hours looking at computer screen and doing repetitive work on a keyboard.
- Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift 5 - 50 lbs.
- Personal Computer, Microsoft Office 365 (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, e-mail), office telephone, cell phone and printer/copier.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
Please click here to continue searching FHI 360’s Career Portal.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. FHI 360 is an equal employment and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.
About the Organization
About FHI 360: FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology — creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories. We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of: Operations Business Manager