JOB TITLE: Operations Manager
DUTY STATION: Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh
REPORT TO: ER Director
ABOUT RI: Relief International is a leading nonprofit organization working in 20 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships, and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
RI has been working in Bangladesh for twelve years and is currently responding to the humanitarian emergency is Cox’s Bazar through provision of health and protection services for Refugees.
The Operations Manager is responsible for leading procurement, overseeing logistics, and ensuring compliance within the operational department. The scope of the position includes but is not limited to managing procurement-related paperwork, ensuring the timely collection quotations for goods and services, entering procurement information into the project database, managing inventory and conducting spot checks, completing inventory receipts and preparing payment requests, and overseeing logistics (fleet management, expat travel, government relations, and security if/when required).
Responsibilities & Duties:
- Ensure that RI Global procurement policies and procedures are kept up-to-date. Ensure changes are disseminated in a timely manner and that all appropriate staff are trained and competent. Ensure local, national and international procurement practices are compliant with donor regulations.
- Participate in mobilization efforts and meeting for all new projects and project extensions. Participate in finalizing of Procurement Plans for all grants.
- Centralize the program supply chain by setting up of effective order management systems including pre-approved, preferred suppliers and framework agreements.
- Ensure that the supply chain is appropriate and cost effective, based on budget, markets, infrastructure, nature of the RI programs, and need for timely delivery.
- Ensure there is no negative audit observations/findings related to Procurement. If required corrective actions plans are developed & implemented to address audit findings.
Warehouse and Stock Management
- Provide support to the warehouse team and make sure systems and reporting is in place to allow effective storage and distribution of transit and centralized stocks.
- Make sure stock management systems are implemented and all key staff know and adhere to policies. Support in monitoring projects stock levels and advice on appropriate stocking and replenishment to meet project demands.
- Oversee the stock management of pharmaceutical drugs are ensure that minimum standards are enforced in the management; inventory and transportation.
- Ensure warehouse and stocks are secure, well managed and documented. Improve on and ensure accuracy of reporting and tracking databases.
- Ensure regular rotation of stocks (particularly medical items) ensuring limited losses due to expiration
- Assist in the preparation of analysis and reports on inventory tracking, movements, etc. Analysis, reporting and follow up of such findings.
- Oversee routine physical stock counts, document discrepancies and report losses to finance
- Ensure receipt and reconciliation is done for all stocks which have been transferred from the warehouse to another RI location.
- Ensure a centralized asset register is maintained; ensure that all office and program assets are logged. For all assets maintain tracking system and ensure all assets are issued with unique RI asset number, ID tag and are tracked.
- Ensure assets and property are effectively managed, asset list is updated regularly and assets are disposed of according to RI and/or donor regulations. Ensure annual (or bi-annual) asset checks are completed; damage and losses are reported immediately.
- Ensure donor reports for assets are timely completed and submitted to the Finance/Program and other departments as appropriate. Ensure appropriate and timely disposal of assets as necessary according to donor standards and regulations.
Transport, Travel & Fleet
- Ensure management of vehicle fleets is in line with RI standards; ensure that appropriate allocation and safe use of vehicles is achieved throughout the program and ensure servicing and maintenance schedules are adhered to.
- Ensure transport services are cost efficient and reliable. Ensure the efficient coordination timely delivery of supplies to projects.
- Ensure systems are in place to effectively plan, coordinate and monitor staff travel by road or air (national or international).
- Proactively develop the skills of RI staff to understand and utilize appropriate tools and services to design and implement quality programming.
- Visit Field offices on regular bases and work with field staff to identify operational needs and ensure that issues are raised with CD, Department leads and other staff, as needed, to ensure they are included in new budget development.
- Design and implement capacity-building opportunities to strengthen the capacity of RI Operations staff.
- Provide feedback through regular performance evaluations and ensure staff is held accountable in accordance with the RI Human Resource policies.
Administration & Information Technology (IT):
- Facilities management – All properties including office, warehouse(s) and guest house(s)
- Oversee administration functions such as reception, office consumables, storeroom management, etc.
- Ensure office compliance to global IT policy and procedure, standard equipment and licenses.
- Working with Security, make sure the practical and effective implementation of the country security guidelines are in place for all logistics activities.
- Monitor appropriate sections of the budget(s). Review Budget vs. Actual expenditure reports and give feedback to CD and other key staff as agreed.
- Review monthly Logistics’ reports and give feed-back to all operations staff, Department Managers and other key staff as needed.
- Work in close collaboration with other members of the RI team; sharing information on the assessments and proposed interventions, providing overviews of logistics requirements for the development of project proposals and subsequent projects.
- Liaise with government, UN and other agencies as necessary. Represent RI at LogCluster and other relevant meetings.
- Comply with all relevant RI policies and procedures with respect to child protection, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies.
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities. We value:
- Transparency and Accountability
- Agility and Innovation
About the Organization
About RI: Relief International is a leading nonprofit organization working in roughly 20 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.