You will manage and/or coordinate the majority of the following operational functions -Human Resources (HR), Logistics, Procurement, Administration, Fleet, Information and Communication Technology (ICT) and Audit - in support of the Catholic Relief Services’ (CRS) mission to serve the poor and vulnerable. You will promote stewardship of resources, help ensure principled compliance, proactively identify risk issues, and under supervision lead operational improvements.
The Congo-Brazzaville is a new program that opened in May 2018. The current portfolio includes Global Fund to conduct a mass LLIN campaign and OFDA/USAID for emergency response and recovery. Total program value for FY20 is estimated to be nearly $3 million and is managed by 22 staff. The country program is seeking an Operations Manager particularly to ensure high quality operations with effective and efficient systems and procedures. The Operations Manager should also be adept at working with partners to build their institutional capacity in operations.
- Manage or coordinate operations functions – systems, processes and staffing – that meet CRS’ standards, donor requirements, and local regulations and support high-quality programming. Collaborate with programming leads to ensure appropriate project expenditures in line with financial plans and proper stewardship of material sources.
- Coordinate and monitor day-to-day operations to ensure support services are delivered with high-quality in an efficient manner. Identify and help address challenges that affect the proper stewardship and optimal utilization of program assets and resources (financial, human, and material). Proactively manage security and mitigate security risks.
- Work closely with local partners, in collaboration with the Country Manager and Finance Manager, to reinforce organizational operations capacity per the partnership capacity strengthening plan
- Effectively manage talent and supervise. Manage team dynamics and staff well-being. Provide coaching, strategically tailor individual development plans, and complete performance management for direct reports. Monitor and assess performance to ensure adequate capacity for successful support of high quality programming.
- Provide guidance of internal processes for approving expenses, monitoring spending, and making budget adjustments in line with operational and programmatic needs and with donor requirements. Participate in preparation of annual budget plans and grant/project budgets to ensure they reflect maximum operational efficiency and budgetary compliance and mitigate risks.
- Contribute to effective staffing of CP needs and adherence to HR systems, policies and practices that support a high-performance culture, staff development and retention. Help assure quality personnel administration and a work environment that truly reflects the agency’s guiding principles.
- Coordinate compliance with agency and donor requirements and local laws and regulations through periodic systems checks, review and assessment of operations policies and procedures. Coordinate response to issues that emerge from internal and external audits and provide guidance to implement improvements.
- Ensure integration and promotion of best practices for safeguarding and gender-sensitive programming and operations.
- Help maintain the proper conditions for learning - a safe environment for the sharing of ideas, solutions, and difficulties and the capacity to detect, analyze and respond quickly to small deficiencies. Identify capacity strengthening needs and provide guidance for project teams and partners, which includes cross-departmental learning.
Typical Background, Experience & Requirements:
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting, or other relevant field. Masters preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years work experience in finance, human resources, logistics, or administration officer/support level position with progressive responsibilities.
- Additional education may substitute for some experience; additional experience may substitute for some education.
- Management experience a plus. Experience with an NGO preferred.
- Understanding of financial systems, including budgeting and budget/expense analysis experience preferred. Knowledge of SunSystems and Vision accounting software or similar financial reporting software a plus.
- Knowledge of multiple public donors’ regulations, including USAID, a plus.
- Staff management experience and abilities that are conducive to a learning environment a preferred.
- Proficient in MS Office package (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Visio), Web Conferencing Applications, and information and budget management systems.
- Good strategic, analytical, systems thinking, and problem-solving skills and ability to make sound judgment and decisions.
- Good relations management abilities. Ability to work collaboratively
- Ethical conduct in accordance with recognized professional and organizational codes of ethics
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions-oriented and results-oriented
Required/Desired Foreign Language French (fluent written and spoken), English (professional fluency written and spoken)
Travel Required 20%
Key Working Relationships:
Supervisory: HR/Admin Officer, Procurement Officer, Logistics Officer
Internal: Country Manager, Finance Manager, DRC Partnership Manager, RoC Project Managers, other program and operations staff
External: Caritas Congo, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ministry of Finance, vendors and service providers
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff):
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship
NOTE: Applications will be accepted until this position is filled.