Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
The Operations Manager Business Development and DC Office will provide direct support to the Managing Director, Institutional Partnerships to strengthen global strategic partnerships and drive revenue generations from institutional donors as well as support in office logistics, management and administrative assistance in Heifer’s Washington DC office. The Operations Manager will have a deep understanding of the Business Development, Design and Effectiveness (BDDE) operations and support the entire department. The Operations Manager will work closely with other department staff in the DC office to support their operational and logistic requirements within the office. And in conjunction with the BDDE team, integrate with the global new business teams across Asia, Americas and Africa. This position will report to the Managing Director, Institutional Partnerships and will work closely with the Operations Manager based in Heifer’s Little Rock office.
In close coordination with the Operations Manager in Little Rock, this position is the go-to person to trouble shoot and problem solve any operational issues that arise within the DC office and the BDDE team. This position works to address immediate needs as they arise and support development and maintenance of long-term processes and systems.
Essential Character Traits
Committed to Heifer’s strategic vision and values; organized and detail oriented; great communication skills; thrives in a team environment; flexible, self-motivated, computer literate; ability to work through complex problems; maintains a positive attitude; service oriented; can work with minimal supervision and is comfortable creating structure when it is needed and understands the need to be agile in all aspects of our work in order to meet deliverables as assigned.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DELIVERABLES
A. Support day-to-day operations of the Business Development, Design and Effectiveness Department at the direction of the Managing Director, Institutional Partnerships (50%)
· In close collaboration with the BDDE Little Rock Operations Manager, improve business processes across the department through management of routine processes, including liaison with Human Resources on employee recruitment and management, legal team for contracts, IT for logistics and other relevant support, procurement for vendor recruitment, and other departments for scheduling while ensuring alignment with organizational requirements
· Develop and maintain procedures for the successful implementation of operations that support the department’s priorities – on time, on scope, and on budget
· Manage and support analysis, efficiencies and continuous improvement of the new business development hub’s budget and cost analysis
· Work in close collaboration with the Operations Manager in Little Rock to ensure budget is updated to pipeline spending vs forecast on a monthly basis.
New Business management
· Research and closely understand institutional donor strategies and processes
· Track and identify regularly institutional funding opportunities through online portals such as DevelopmentAid, Grants.gov (US), Beta.sam.gov (US), Gov.UK (UK), DevEx, etc.
· In conjunction with the BDDE team, integrate with the global new business teams across Asia, Americas and Africa
· Maintain an up-to-date tracker of institutional donor opportunities and coordinate with area teams, Resource Development and Operations, and the Senior Manager of the Proposal Design Hub to ensure accuracy in PFID
· Maintain relationship management system that captures and details engagement with strategic implementing partners and institutional donors including key contact information
· Understand HIC, GPA, Foundations and Regional (Africa, Americas and Asia) objectives, strategies, targets and facilitate opportunities for integration
· Schedule, coordinate agenda, capture meeting minutes, and share with participants monthly global and regional pipeline meetings
· Develop and maintain the Departmental sharing folders in collaboration with the Senior Manager of the Proposal Design Hub that will be made available to internal and external team members; provide all documents to Managing Director upon request
· Administrative support to Managing Director including contract management, meeting and travel arrangements including support in processing of expense reports
· Support Managing Director in communications development of SVP communication content, messages and presentations; responses to written, oral and electronic inquiries; screened and prioritized correspondence, reports, presentations and other information for internal and external use
· Proactively manage an accurate calendar for the Managing Director, including online scheduling of internal and external, domestic and international appointments/meetings and travel schedule.
· Biweekly meetings with Little Rock Operations Manager to discuss business process improvements
· Introduce new processes and procedures for improved operations
· Regular communications with service providers to build rapport and good relationship.
· Monthly cost analysis reports
· Monthly revenue analysis report.
· Collect and maintain institutional strategy reports and summarize their bidding processes
· Maintain and update daily funding opportunities tracker
· Maintain and update as happens strategic partner tracker
· Coordinate with regional teams to ensure PDIF captures all business opportunities
· Capture meeting minutes for all pipeline meetings
· File management with proposal design hub team
· Expense report submission
· Communication collateral
· Up to date and accurate Meeting calendar
B. Manage administrative and logistics for Heifer’s Washington DC office (45%)
· Interface and negotiate with office vendors
· Manage general office supplies stock and routine logistical needs
· Manage office kitchen and office storage
· Manage day-to-day financial management of invoices, credit card statements and/or other accounts payable associated with office expenditures
· Maintain close relationship with office management company, when appropriate
· Manage relationships and plan for regular cleaning and maintenance within office
· Support office and logistics needs for all Heifer staff housed in DC office in collaboration with HQ based support staff
· Staff and manage front desk
· Work with Heifer facilities team to address office space requirements and issues
· Serve as point of contact on office related IT needs in liaison with Heifer’s IT department at Headquarters in Little Rock
· Liaison with Human Resources and other relevant teams on employee recruitment and management processes, ensuring alignment with organizational requirements, provide logistical support to DC new staff interviews
· Provide logistical and IT leadership and collaborate with staff when hosting meetings or events at office with outside stakeholders
· Respond to written, oral and electronic inquiries with pre-approved information about Heifer’s work in general
· Oversee office security and ensure application of protocols
· Maintain office vendor and management contact list
· Office stock list
· Purchase orders in place for ongoing office services
· Maintain system for capturing office staff needs
· Maintain calendar for office events, meetings, and social interactions
· Point person for office security including establishment of security protocols
C. Perform other job-related duties as assigned (5%)
A Bachelor’s Degree plus at least seven (7) years of relevant new business development and administration experience. Demonstrated strong writing and oral presentation skills in English.
Master’s degree or equivalent in the fields of Agriculture Economics, Business Administration, Entrepreneurship, Business Development, Finance, or other related field plus five (5) years’ experience in international development. Fluency in Spanish language.
Most Critical Proficiencies
· Demonstrate deep understanding of Heifer’s core mission and values and the global context in which we operate.
- Skills in managing across complex work, bringing structure, prioritization and applying project management skills.
- Be a team player. Proven ability to build deep and lasting relationships with a variety of internal partners, with whom no direct line supervision exists.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work cooperatively, tactfully and diplomatically with a culturally diverse group of people, especially in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to understanding the comprehensive and strategic agenda of the Mission Effectiveness work while also seeing the implications for details of operations and translating that to action.
- Ability to quickly assess and prioritize competing interests, such that those which are most important are given the direct attention of the CME, including the ability to interpret and apply policies and procedures independently, and use sound judgment and discretion.
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills
- Excellent customer relations skills
- Be a problem solver - work in a solution-oriented way, exploring and deploying technologies appropriately to ensure the operations and broader dissemination of Mission Effectiveness work and materials.
- Detail-oriented with excellent project management skills. Time management skills.
- Experience in budgeting and tracking expenses
- Ability to command attention and respect in formal and informal meetings or presentations, coupled with professionalism and integrity.
- Ability to promote Heifer with external representatives externally and internally as a surrogate for senior leadership.
- Strong scheduling, e-mail, and Internet/Intranet skills.
- Demonstrated experience and success holding prior positions that required high level of sensitivity and confidentiality.
- Extensive experience using computers as a tool for word processing, communications and organizing. Must possess demonstrable skills using Microsoft Word, Outlook, Publisher, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Knowledge of financial management sufficient to effectively monitor budgets and expenses.
- Ability to be proactive in anticipating any needs of the CME and Mission Effectiveness team and collaborators.
Essential Job Functions and Physical Demands
- Committed to learn Heifer’s values-based holistic community development model, Theory of Change, Cornerstones, and other Heifer established systems.
- Demonstrate a high degree of honesty and integrity.
- Ability to work independently or with a team and perform multiple tasks with occasional interruptions.
· Ability to handle multiple tasks and deadlines, establish priorities and make sound judgments often in a fast-paced environment and the flexibility, energy, and attention to detail needed to manage a heavy workload and rapidly changing contexts.
- Ability to proofread correspondence for correct punctuation and grammar, and produce documents in a well-designed, attractive format with impeccable attention to detail.
- May require constant sitting and moving, working at a computer for extended periods.
- Occasional bending and lifting of up to 20 pounds (9 kilograms).
- Must have access to reliable transportation.
- Must be eligible to work in the United States.
- Willingness and ability to work outside of normal business hours to accommodate clients in different time zones.
- Willingness and ability to travel domestically and internationally as needed.
- Ability to work with sensitive information and maintain confidentiality.