Devex is currently assisting a multilateral development bank dedicated to promoting economic cooperation and integration in the Caribbean Region, in their search for an Operations Officer (Energy) This is a full-time position to be based in Barbados.
Operations Officers (OOs) are collectively responsible for the identification of potential projects and Technical Assistance (TA) interventions for inclusion in the Bank’s pipeline. Project preparation, appraisal and implementation supervision activities account for a significant portion of the responsibilities of the position. The OO (Energy) is accountable for due diligence, probity and professional excellence in the discharge of the position’s key responsibilities. He/she is expected to stay abreast of advances in the energy sector, identify areas for improvement of operational policy, procedure and practice, “lessons learned” and best practices to support project development activities and project performance assessments. He/she will work directly with clients to contribute to the achievement of their development priorities, relating to the energy sector, and the Bank’s strategic objectives.
The OO (Energy) will be required to:
- Contribute as a team member to the screening of requests for assistance and the preparation and appraisal of assigned projects. Inputs will include, inter alia, assessment of the energy sector of the country from which the request originated, ensuring that the developmental need is appropriately addressed in the project design, as well as ensuring that all issues related to compliance with organization’s policies and procedures are identified and resolved at the preparation stage and/or during the appraisal process.
- Identify new opportunities using, among other methods, existing contacts and lead the development of capital and technical assistance projects in the energy sector. Among these should be opportunities for the integration of renewable energy and energy efficiency across all social and economic sectors, including education, industry, agriculture, transport and water.
- Develop and build relationships at the technical/professional level with clients and key specialists in other multilateral and bilateral institutions and other international organisations, in order to promote cooperative activities and generate new business for the Bank.
- Stay abreast of developments in assigned BMCs and provide information and analyses towards the revision, when necessary, of the Bank’s policy and strategies for the energy sector, including on issues of climate change, renewable energy, energy efficiency and other issues in BMCs in consultation with relevant government and development institutions/agencies.
- Provide technical inputs, when necessary, on energy sector related matters to inter-departmental working groups.
- Provide technical guidance to executing agencies on the organizations’ policies and procedures during design, preparation and implementation of energy sector projects.
- Supervise approved projects through to completion, including, inter alia, review of project reports for consistency with the organization’s policies, procedures and approved financing agreements, review of and comment on technical and other reports, timely preparation of project supervision reports, including Back-to-Office reports, ensuring the collection of data to facilitate the monitoring and evaluation of projects and aiding clients in resolving any project-related issues during implementation.
- Participate in or contribute to internal and external fora on the energy sector to facilitate advocacy of Bank products and services, information dissemination and knowledge-building, including technical support in the preparation of speeches/presentations by senior officers of the Bank.
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES
The OO (Energy) should have the minimum qualifications outlined below and should demonstrate strong proficiency in the defined competencies.
Technical Grounding and Expertise
The successful candidate must have:
- A first degree from an accredited university in Electrical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering and a post-graduate degree from an accredited university in Economics, Finance, Business Administration or a field directly related to energy.
- A minimum of eight years of relevant professional experience in the energy sector including substantial practical experience and experience in project design and appraisal to support economic development.
- Sound knowledge of the latest developments in the energy sector and of renewable energy and energy efficiency technologies and financing mechanisms.
- Familiarity with issues of sustainable development and climate change mitigation and adaptation as it relates to the energy sector in the Caribbean Region.
- Ability to lead and/or participate in Bank missions to BMCs and other fora.
- Experience working in the Caribbean or in developing countries with similar conditions.
The following is considered an asset for this position:
- Demonstrated knowledge of project cycle management, energy policy development, energy planning and management and energy regulation.
- Academic qualification in Engineering with an emphasis on power systems.
The OO (Energy) must have:
- Demonstrated ability to achieve results and an aptitude for problem-solving.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, and the ability to interface with the public and persons at all levels in government and in institutional settings.
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to gather information, assess risk, consider the impact and articulate the implications of decisions to both internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to effectively adapt to tight deadlines, heavy workloads and sudden or frequent changes in priority in order to accomplish objectives.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills including an ability to communicate complex issues in simple terms and to engage in evidence-based dialogue with stakeholders/clients.