Job DescriptionJob Summary:
Oversees the business operations and administrative management planning of a department of moderate complexity and scope. Collaborate with department leaders to ensure project implementation aligns with strategy to maintain an integrated and coordinated scientific and programmatic portfolio in support of FHI 360’s vision, mission, values and priorities. Ensures continuous process improvement and takes appropriate actions to increase revenue, leverage and maximize resources, and contain costs. Collaborates across departments, business units and regional offices to ensure effective and efficient communications and harmonized operations.
Applied Knowledge & Skills:
- Oversee workforce plan and staffing models for a department, considering multiple and interrelated initiatives to either increase or decrease headcount, each with their own set of success criteria/outcomes, budget, and duration.
- Contribute to change management work to support business and process improvements and overall departmental/divisional effectiveness.
- Coordinate departmental budget analysis, provide input into and monitor budget forecasts and review progress.
- Monitors spending on management and development accounts.
- Works with the management team to prepare management and development budgets and pre-approve them for final authorization.
- Coordinates routine departmental portfolio reviews with department and BU leadership, as required.
- Alerts leadership to budget and other risks and ensures that appropriate risk authorization documents are processed, and steps are taken to mitigate risks.
- Ensures compliance with policies and procedures throughout departmental operations.
- Develops, in conjunction with department leadership, and monitors work plans, staff labor allocations and budgets, working closely with department directors and their management teams.
- Engages in business development efforts depending on the needs and priorities of the business unit.
- Serves as liaison with Enterprise Services (e.g., Human Resources, Information Solutions and Services and Business Development and Diversification, and Contract Management Services) to strengthen systems to support a department, and to harmonize policies and procedures within FHI360.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Problem Solving & Impact:
- Demonstrated management skills in organizational management, financial planning and personnel management
- Demonstrated familiarity with non-profit and/or non-governmental organization operations.
- Ability to develop and maintain productive relationships with colleagues, subcontractors and collaborating implementing agencies.
- Ability and willingness to travel nationally and internationally as needed, including travel to developing countries.
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills.
- Must be able to read, write, and speak fluent English.
- Works on problems of moderate to complex scope that require in depth evaluation of data and various factors.
- Resolves moderate to complex multi-sector issues affecting the business operations of the Business Unit; and facilitates better interaction and cooperation between the Business Unit and enterprise services departments.
- Exercises judgment within broadly defined practices and policies in selecting methods, and techniques for obtaining results.
- Understanding that decisions made generally affect a department’s operations and may impact overall business activities.
- Manages staff to meet the Business Unit’s, department’s, and organization’s strategic goals.
- Sets goals and budgets, in conjunction with department leadership, develops and implements procedures, and trains staff to achieve results.
- Develops and recommends solutions to management to meet internal and external needs of the company.
- Typically reports to a Director.
- Bachelor’s Degree or its International Equivalent in Business Administration, Social Sciences, Public Health or Related Field.
- Master’s Degree preferred.
Typical Physical Demands:
- Demonstrated experience with financial and contractual management of USAID contracts and cooperative agreements including budget design, financial oversight, and expenditure projections.
- Experience in developing country settings and management experience in public health programs.
- Non-governmental organization (NGO) experience.
Technology to be Used:
- Typical office environment.
- Ability to spend long hours looking at computer screen and doing repetitive work on a keyboard.
- Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift 5 - 25 lbs.
- Personal Computer, Microsoft Office 365 (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, e-mail), office telephone, cell phone and printer/copier.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
Please click here to continue searching FHI 360’s Career Portal.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. FHI 360 is an equal employment and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.
About the Organization
About FHI 360: FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology — creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories. We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of: Operations Performance Manager