The Operations Specialist reports to the Country Director and oversees operational responsibilities in the areas of office management, finance and administration, human resources and project coordination. The Specialist will help establish and build a country office in Burkina Faso. The Specialist brings strong operations and people management skills as well as broad understanding of local law and operating requirements.
This is a full-time position based in ThinkWell office in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso.
Please note: Burkinabe nationals are encouraged to apply. This position includes a national benefits package and does not include international relocation or expatriate benefits.
- Plan and monitor all office responsibilities (supplies, IT, communications, utilities, contracts for office services)
- Act as a liaison between Solutions team and IT vendor to manage IT equipment
- Support the establishment and growth of the ThinkWell country office including government registration and liaison activities, administrative duties, legal and compliance requirements, logistics and procurement.
- Prepare correspondence and provide administrative support during meetings.
- Liaise with professional employment organization, ICI
- Ensure proper accounting of all project transactions using ThinkWell’s accounting system and in line with local and funding agency requirements
- Manage banking operations (receipt of funds, movements of funds in the accounts of the institution and payroll)
- Ensure statutory compliance with various local laws and maintain financial files and support audits.
- Revise and/or formulate country office manual outlining processes, policies and procedures
- Develop and maintain filing system for financial documents in readiness for audits or tax reporting purposes
- Plan, implement and manage program budgets, reviews and reports
- Coordinate with Talent team to manage local staff recruitment
- Work with global operations teams to develop and manage a payroll system for local staff, including the calculation and remittance of tax and other statutory requirements.
- Help revise HR manual based on company policy and in accordance with labor laws
- Manage new hire onboarding and introductions
- Manage staff contracts for approval
- Develop and maintain a secure confidential HR filing system
- Partner with Country Director in the implementation of performance management system
Program Coordination & New Business Development
- Collaborate with consultants and team members to develop and implement budgets and reports
- Provide logistical and operational support to consultants as required
- Assist the Country Director to budget for new business concept papers and proposals
ThinkWell core values are our fundamental organizational guiding principles. They define our corporate culture, influence our behavior at work and help us achieve our mission. Our values are:
Influence the conversation
Evolve by learning
ThinkWell core competencies are foundational skills and behaviors that align with our values and are expected of all employees.
An entrepreneurial, results-oriented ‘do-er’ with a willingness to take risk, think big and challenge conventional wisdom.
A change maker who reaches independent judgement with an open mind, influences the conversation, and seeks innovation.
Able to help create an empowering environment in which everyone feels free to take initiative, be accountable and fail intelligently (learn from mistakes).
A collaborative colleague who engages constructively with people from different cultures, orientations, and perspectives and maintains positive relations in a virtual world.
Principally motivated by a growth mindset, meaning the pursuit of knowledge, experience, and self-improvement. You always question and continuously learn.
Authentic, honest, direct, self-aware and open to giving and receiving feedback.
- BA/BS and 5+ years experience or graduate degree and 3+ years experience;
- Demonstrated skills and experience in financial management, accounting, donor compliance, human resources management, local labor law, and contracts management;
- Relevant work experience in management consulting firm, bilateral or multilateral development agency, and/or international NGO with some experience managing projects in low or middle-income countries;
- Technical savvy and strong computer skills, IT systems familiarity;
- Understanding of and curiosity about establishing and operating a new country office in a complex setting environment;
- Understanding of Burkina Faso labor, banking and procurement practices and law preferred;
- Demonstrated team and people management abilities with a focus on growing staff, mentoring and coaching junior professionals;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel and PowerPoint;
- Demonstrated poise and professionalism in engaging with external partners, donors, and stakeholders;
- Full English and French fluency;
- Outstanding cross-cultural communication skills, including the ability to relate respectfully with staff at all levels, ages, genders, nationalities and orientations as well as across work areas.
About the Organization
Do you believe that everyone deserves access to affordable, quality healthcare? Are you driven by creativity, bold ideas, and disruptive innovation? Are you inspired by exceptionally talented, diverse, impact-oriented colleagues? Do you thrive in a dynamic, high-growth, fast-paced environment? Most importantly, are you fed-up, even disgusted, with the status quo of foreign assistance in the health sector? Then consider a job with ThinkWell.
ThinkWell is a growing, flexible health systems organization, with both global influence and local grounding. Our focus is on driving transformation in the global health space by always questioning and disrupting conventional wisdom about what works or what can or cannot be done.