Growth, Enterprise, Employment & Livelihoods (GEEL) is 5-year USAID-funded project designed to promote and facilitate inclusive economic growth in Puntland, Somaliland and other existing and emerging federal states. The project is currently focusing on the agricultural sector (dairy, fisheries, sesame & banana) but is anticipated to expand in the future into other sectors of the economy. It will also seek to strengthen the business enabling environment through improving access to finance, policy and regulation, and business development services. Particular focus will be given to increase the participation of women and youth in the economy as entrepreneurs, employers, and employees.
The Operations Specialist will contribute to the effective management of the GEEL operations, including coordination of day-to-day operations, supporting the operational staff, including the DCOP, the procurement team, and the infrastructure team to effectively respond to an expected increase in operational requirements, including additional small scale infrastructure projects, grant agreements, and the associated procurements. The Operations Specialist will assist the technical teams in designing programming that is consistent with the overall objectives of the GEEL project, drafting scopes of work and other documentation for each activity, conducting appropriate due diligence on vendors and beneficiaries, and coordinating subcontracting for small scale civil works.
This position will support and work closely with the Chief of Party and Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) as well as coordinating with other team members, including GEEL•s engineers, M&E team, grants team, and communications specialist.• The position will report to the DCOP and be based in Mogadishu, with regular travel to Hargeisa, Somaliland.
The Operations Specialist will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Assist the DCOP in the development of subcontracts, procurements, and grants in support of project technical implementation activities.• This will include:
- Determining the most appropriate implementation modality;
- Development of scopes of work, in line with project objectives;
- Establishing delivery schedules with partners in order to meet overarching project timelines.
- Work with project engineering staff to develop Bills of Quantity (BOQs) for small-scale infrastructure projects • primarily, but not exclusively, related to agriculture, water, and energy.• These BOQs will be incorporated into public tenders for engineering services;
- Conduct internal market assessments of costs and rates that can be used in the evaluation of GEEL procurements;
- Conduct negotiations with vendors, potential subcontractors, and other stakeholders to develop budgets and pricing models that allow effective implementation of project activities.
- Assist the DCOP in managing financial elements of the project, including developing budgets, conducting pipeline analysis, and tracking field office accruals;
- Assist the DCOP, Grants Manager, and technical teams in conducting due diligence and Somalia-specific compliance requirements on implementation activities, including spot checks to develop recommendations on how to improve performance;
- Coordinate with the project communications staff to highlight activities, interventions, and outcomes that can feed into Success Stories and other project communications products;
- Support HR staff in review of job descriptions, activity scopes of works, biodatas and supporting salary history information prior to submission to home office and USAID;
- Oversee and manage selected sub-contractors and national staffs related operations activities.
- Bachelor•s degree in relevant field, masters is preferred.
- At•least•of three years• experience working with USAID-funded contractors.
- Experience•with operations, procurement, or project management•in•support of•USAID-funded projects.
- Understanding of rules and regulations applicable to USAID programs.
- Excellent•oral and written English language skills.
- Willingness to travel to and work in Mogadishu.
About the OrganizationIDG Food & Agriculture