R4D seeks an solutions-oriented and entrepreneurial Partnership Manager to play a key role in the Scaling Innovation practice, specifically with the flagship program Global Innovation Exchange.
R4D’s Scaling Innovation practice is providing leadership through our unique position managing highly respected global innovation initiatives. We lead the management of the Global Innovation Exchange (GIE) supported by USAID, DFAT, KOICA and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. GIE is a data-driven tech platform on a mission to help scale the most promising global development innovations by providing data and tools for various actors in the global development innovation ecosystem. It is the largest database of its kind with more than 13,000 innovations and over $1.5B cumulative in funding opportunities for these innovations showcased on the platform. GIE currently specializes in serving social entrepreneurs or innovators in helping them discover new funding and showcase their innovations. GIE also partners with other supporters (e.g. development agencies, incubators and accelerators) and customers (e.g. development experts and local governments) of innovations.
R4D seeks a Partnership Manager with a “client first” approach to manage and grow GIE’s partnership initiatives including some fee-based offerings. The partnership manager will lead GIE’s existing partnership offerings - Data Champions (free), Innovation Finder (fee-based) and GIE Custom (fee-based) - managing current partners/clients and acquiring new ones. This position will also provide thought leadership in developing new functionalities and initiatives for various actors positioning GIE as a key player in supporting the strengthening of the innovation ecosystem. A successful Partnership Manager will have an entrepreneurial mind-set, find passion in building new relationships from the ground up or strengthening existing ones, enjoy creating and improving processes, have an “outside of the box” approach, and is someone with a growth mindset.
The Global Innovation Exchange team is resourceful, responsible, tenacious, adaptable, and always has a positive attitude.
This position is based in Washington, D.C. and reports to the Global Innovation Exchange Lead. The position works closely with the Senior Program Associate who manages the data on GIE and the Communications Officer.
GIE client and partner acquisition and management, such as:
- Client management for existing Custom, Innovation Finder, etc. clients* setting GIE up for renewed commitments next year.
- Independently develop new partnerships - e.g. demos/pitches to prospective partners and clients about GIE’s existing tech functionality, services, and offerings*
- Collaborating with new Custom clients to understand their business needs for their sites, leading the strategy and set up of their sites and if needed, gathering requirements and negotiating pricing for developing new functionalities.
- Necessary implementation management such as the interns in processing data from Data Champions, advising the SPA in understanding client needs for Innovation Finder and collaborating with the tech partner on new functionality development for GIE Custom.
Front line ambassador to promote all GIE offerings* including:
- Develop the strategy to acquire new partners for all current GIE offerings* for 2020-2022 with targets for data (free offerings) and revenue (fee-based).
- Lead the implementation of the strategy such as partnering with the Communications Officer for website content management, independently creating simple, engaging and visual materials and supporting the GIE Lead in presentations at events or donor meetings.
Team management and mentorship
- Management of and mentorship to a Senior Program Associate (SPA) who owns the GIE Data Manifesto, Industry Reports, GIE’s Innovation Finder Service, based on client and industry needs.
Thought leadership and partnership
- Lead the strategy for GIE’s data management, including setting the strategy and overseeing the day-to-day activities for it completed by the SPA and interns.
- Providing thought partnership as a development expert to the GIE lead in evolving GIE’s value for various actors in the development innovation ecosystem to bolster its role as a data-driven tech platform in strengthening the innovation ecosystem.
*Includes Data Champions and paid clients for Innovation Finder Service, GIE Custom and other offerings.
- BA/BS with 6+ years of experience or master’s degree with 4+ years of experience
- BA (or MA) in global development, public health/administration, business/management, or relevant field.
- Experience in global development is required. Also prefer a background working within innovation in development (e.g. social entrepreneurship, ICT4D, human-centered design, etc.) and technology for good solutions.
- Highly skilled relationship builder and manager demonstrated with experience in:
- Demanding client-facing roles balancing responsiveness with expectation setting
- Sales capacity to “close the deal” with new partners for free / fee-based offerings
- Working with partners across geographies and cultures
- Sales/account management specifically for technology solutions is highly preferred but can be substituted for demonstrated interest and ability to quickly understand and effectively communicate about GIE’s tech offerings.
- To be successful in this role, the candidate must also demonstrate the following skills:
- Impeccable writing, communication and presentation (e.g. in-person/virtual presentations, email, marketing collateral, etc.)
- Excellent project management with the ability to prioritize and manage work in a fast-paced environment across work streams and partners with competing time/resource demands.
- Highly collaborative, adaptable and approachable team member who is enthusiastic about doing what it takes to support the team, mentoring junior staff and working closely with others at R4D.
- High level of organization, attention to detail, professionalism, and reliability balancing entrepreneurial “scrappiness” with a growth mindset.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team, especially with distributed team members and partners across various time zones and cultures.
About the Organization
Results for Development (R4D) is a leading non-profit global development partner. We collaborate with change agents around the world — government officials, civil society leaders and social innovators — to create strong systems that support healthy, educated people. We help our partners move from knowing their goal to knowing how to reach it. We combine global expertise in health, education and nutrition with analytic rigor, practical support for decision-making and implementation and access to peer problem-solving networks. Together with our partners, we build self-sustaining systems that serve everyone and deliver lasting results. Then we share what we learn so others can achieve results for development, too.
We have a unique and vibrant culture at R4D. Diversity, equity and inclusion are at the heart of our work environment and help advance our mission. Diversity—of ideas, identities, perspectives and backgrounds—is vital to who we are and what we do. We seek people who embrace these values and will help reinforce them. Our work culture is collaborative, creative and entrepreneurial. We operate based on trust and respect. Teams across the organization frequently collaborate on programmatic work and support each other in continuously building a better R4D.