Requisition ID: req2397
Job Title: Payroll Officer
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Location: USA-New York, NY - HQ
The IRC Finance department seeks to achieve excellence in financial management by providing accurate and timely financial information to IRC management and programs and by adhering to established inancial practices and accounting principles. The HQ Finance Team does this by supporting and training staff, by implementing and monitoring the implementation of IRC and donor policies and procedures, and by gathering the necessary financial information in preparation of the organizations’ financial statements.
The Payroll Officer must supervise daily operation of the payroll unit including processing payroll cycles, providing support for payroll accounting and related regulatory reporting and filing requirements. The Payroll Officer will provide information and assistance in all aspects of US payroll.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
* Responsible for overseeing all aspects of HQ payroll for US Domestic and expatriate employees
* Maintaining accurate and timing quarterly and annual tax information in coordination with ADP.
* Supervise the payroll team (4 staff) ensuring payrolls are executed accurately, timely and any adjustments are properly reviewed and recorded.
* Liaising with staff and management on payroll related queries.
* Provide management with expertise in the areas of US taxation, payroll requirements and reporting.
* Ensuring compliance with all applicable local, state, and federal government regulations; keeping current with changes in government requirements.
* Review and recommend improvement to existing payroll procedures, updating documented payroll procedures as necessary. Develop best practices to improve efficiency of payroll processes.
* Analyze payroll problems and provide appropriate resolutions
* Review monthly salary allocation/payroll journal entries.
* Ensure timely remittance of 403b retirement contributions and regular reconciliations.
* Liaison with Human Resources for HRIS integration with ADP related to technical issues, upgrades and ongoing maintenance.
* Prepare annual payroll reports for audit, insurance, 403b and other reporting as requested.
* Other duties as assigned by the Associate Controller.
KEY WORKING RELATIONSHIPS:
Based at IRC Headquarters in New York, the Payroll Officer will report to the Associate Controller, oversee a team of 4 payroll staff (2 payroll managers, payroll accountant and payroll assistant) and will work closely with the members of the finance department in HQ, US Programs and International Offices as well as HQ Human Resources.
* Bachelors Degree, in Accounting, Business Administration or Finance
* Payroll certifications desirable
* Min. 5 years experience in supervisory-level payroll processing,
* Min. 7-10 years payroll expertise including US taxation rules
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
* Strong verbal and written communication skills
* Ability to work accurately, pay attention to details, and consistently meet deadlines
* Attention to detail, a drive for accuracy and a strong work ethic
* Solid organizational skills: the ability to be productive under pressure in a fast-paced team environment
* Flexible work attitude: the ability to be flexible and yet focused & reliable in an environment of frequently changing demands
* Proficient computer skills: MS Word, Excel, & Outlook
* Experience with ADP payroll software is required; knowledge of ADP Vantage is preferred
* The position will work in the New York City Headquarters location and is expected to be on-site
* Standard office work environment
* Relocation assistance is not available for this role
About the Organization
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 27 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure.