MAIN PURPOSE OF JOB
This role is responsible for the day-to-day administration of MSH’s U.S. payroll function. Processes payroll accurately and performs the administrative duties of the function, including recording journal entries and reconciling payroll-related accounts. Regularly assists the supervisor, the Accounting department, and Human Resources as it relates to the payroll responsibilities. The position helps to ensure the ongoing success of the function by recommending process improvements or changes to ensure compliance. Serves as the main resource for supporting interrelated processes and cross-functional projects involving payroll, and as the lead point of contact for U.S. payroll, provides customer-oriented support to employees and other departments.
DEPARTMENT: FAO Accounting
LOCATION: Medford or Arlington
Bi-weekly payroll processing
• Process payroll and all payroll-related journal entries, including the labor distribution entries timely and accurately
• Process disability calculations
• Calculate and process one-time payments, such as bonuses, as needed/requested
• Responsibility for the external payroll processing system and implementation of automation between HRIS system, ERP, and ADP
• Perform bi-weekly analysis of portal timesheet entry completion (working with MSH’s timesheet supervisors ensuring all employees complete the biweekly timesheet) and perform data entry of manual (non-portal) transactions. Track delinquent timesheets submission and/or approval.
• Create wire transfer for TCN’s, international pension plan, manual checks, and any others needed.
• Distribute paychecks to employees with new direct deposit account numbers and allowance spreadsheets on a bi-weekly basis.
• Work with the Benefits team closely to ensure that the benefits in HRB are consistent in ADP.
• Enter and reconcile allowances data for payment
Ensure the successful day-to-day administration of the payroll function
• Successfully implement and communicate any process, procedural, or regulatory changes related to the function
• Provide knowledgeable and sound guidance to all staff regarding payroll policies and procedures
• Effectively communicate and collaborate with management and employees to resolve payroll issues or problems
• Ensures compliance with payroll and tax laws, or other compliance-based requirements
• Support and assist with developing payroll policies and procedures
• Develop and maintain accurate and up-to-date process documentation
• Partner with the Human Resources team on policies and processes affecting both departments
Reconciliations and audits
• Prepare or provide GL team with cash entries for payroll related accounts, FSA, Cobra, employee contribution plans, etc.
• Perform all account reconciliations related to payroll, accruals, withholdings, salary expense, employee benefit plans, etc.
• Process year-end reconciliations and documents (i.e., W-2 forms)
• Support and respond to 401k audits, annual financial and uniform guidance audits, donor audits, internal audits, etc.
• Produce all reports needed to support and analyze payroll information including a 941 payroll reconciliation each quarter
• Assist the Corporate Controller with special projects as needed
Required: Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent experience
Required: 6 years of relevant payroll and finance experience, and at least 3+ years working in a multi-state payroll environment. Government contract industry experience is highly desired.
- Extensive knowledge of ADP Workforce Now is required. Experience with Deltek’s Costpoint ERP preferred; Experience with Workday desirable.
- Proficient in MS Office with expertise in Excel. Experience with Google suite preferred.
- Must exhibit strong Excel skills and be comfortable utilizing different software systems to analyze and report on payroll data
- Experience collaborating with HR management to ensure accurate and timely benefits reporting and taxation
- Strong knowledge of and experience complying with local, state, and federal payroll and tax laws and withholding requirements
- International payroll experience a plus
- Ability to maintain confidentiality at all times and protect confidential information
- Ability to adhere to and meet time-sensitive deadlines
- Ability to multitask and manage work with shifting priorities
- Creative problem-solving skills with an analytical mind-set
- Possess strong detail-orientation with strong organizational skills
- Process and systems-oriented with project-management skills
- Exhibits strong interpersonal and communication skills with all levels of the organization
- Performs as a team player
About the Organization
Management Sciences for Health, an international nonprofit organization, is dedicated to closing the gap between what is known and what is done about public health problems. MSH saves lives and improves health by helping public and private organizations throughout the world to effectively manage people, medicines, money, and information. Working from more than 30 country offices and our US headquarters, our staff from 65 nations is highly regarded for its technical expertise, integrity, and commitment to making a lasting difference in health.
Management Sciences for Health (MSH) is a nonprofit international health organization composed of more than 2,000 people from 73 nations. Their mission is to save lives and improve the health of the world’s poorest and most vulnerable people by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health. Together with their partners, they are helping managers and leaders in developing countries to create stronger management systems that improve health services for the greatest health impact.
MSH takes an integrated approach to building high-impact sustainable programs that address critical challenges in leadership, health systems management, human resources, and medicines. Simply put, they support stronger health systems for greater health impact.
Their expertise in these areas falls into the broad categories of management functions—for example, leadership and governance or pharmaceutical management—and health areas like tuberculosis or maternal, newborn, and child health. They apply their expertise by
- Partnering with governments, local organizations, and communities in developing nations to build their own capacity for long-term health impact;
- Providing global leadership in critical areas of health management and health care delivery;
- Bringing the best of MSH from around the globe to the people we serve, working as One MSH with a focus on lasting health system improvements.
Leadership, Governance, & Management
They work with in-country partners to build stronger health systems to improve:
- the management and leadership of priority health programs, health organizations, and multisectoral partnerships such as The Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria, developing a critical mass of managers at all levels of the health system who can lead and inspire teams to achieve results;
- the management systems of health organizations in the public and private sector, transferring practical approaches and skills to ensure that management structures contribute to sustainable organizational success;
- the governance and management of health organizations and multisectoral partnerships, facilitating change and transferring knowledge to enable organizations to administer their resources efficiently and scale up their services.
Health Service Delivery
MSH combines extensive public health expertise, proven service delivery approaches, and evidence-based interventions in five critical areas:
- HIV & AIDS
- Maternal, newborn, and child health
- Family planning and reproductive health
- Other communicable diseases, including malaria and pandemic and avian influenza
Human Resources for Health
MSH helps governments develop multisectoral strategies and policies to plan and manage their health workforces. We use a comprehensive approach that addresses all the facets of human resources for health needed to achieve an adequate supply of well-trained and motivated health workers. MSH offers capabilities in leadership, human resource management, education, partnerships, policy, and finance to achieve these goals.
Vital to our success is a participatory approach to project design and implementation, which cultivates broad-based support from all stakeholders. We also build and improve infrastructure and local capacity to effectively purchase, store, deliver, and use quality essential medicines.
Health Care Financing
MSH helps governments and NGOs assess their current financial situation and systems, understand service costs, and develop initiatives to use existing funds more effectively and generate additional revenue—all with the goal of supporting a nation’s health priorities.
MSH has developed proven methods for rapidly strengthening the analysis and use of existing health data—normally at the province, district, and facility levels—without revising existing recording and reporting requirements. With an emphasis on learning through action, district teams undertake assessments of health services, identify gaps in performance, and design solutions to support better decision-making and, therefore, better management of improved services.
MSH has worked closely with the Health Metrics Network of the WHO to develop a comprehensive approach for enhancing the performance of health information systems and data by employing a practical, strategic planning process that can be carried out by national working groups.