This position is intended to further enhance the strength of the Mission’s DREAMS (Determined, Resilient, Empowered, AIDS-free, Mentored, and Safe) portfolio in order to empower adolescent girls and young women (AGYW) and advance gender equality across many sectors of global health, education and economic growth. The DREAMS Specialist will work collaboratively with other staff in the Health Office, other offices in the Mission, the Ministry of Health, and other development partners to support a coordinated, strategic approach to HIV/AIDS care and treatment programming. The Candidate will provide expertise in organizational capacity strengthening to local organizations including faith-based and non-governmental organizations, community-based organizations, private sector institutions, as well as government departments and bodies both at central and local government levels.
The Candidate will spend a significant amount of time (at least 50%) in the field providing hands-on support to local organizations.
1. Strategic Oversight and Program Planning
- Provide overall technical guidance on the DREAMS program, including providing expert guidance in the design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of prevention programs for AGYW
- Work closely with other staff in the Health Office and across the Mission to optimize opportunities for cross-sectoral integration and leveraging of resources across the different program components
- Provide on-going technical assistance to USAID supported local partners to ensure that activities are evidence-based and that services are transparent, equitable, of high quality and responsive to client needs; that partners practice sound management and robust accounting; and that local partners are prepared to assume and sustain leadership
- Provide technical leadership and advice to partners on integration of quality improvement approaches in program design, planning, implementation and monitoring
2. Project Management
- Ensure quality of DREAMS programming at facility and community-level through monitoring compliance to national and international guidelines, approaches and tools and provision of supportive supervisions to IPs
- Support USAID IPs both within the public and private sector to develop strategic work plans with realistic and measurable targets to support effective implementation of the Mission’s DREAMS program
- Provide technical and organizational development guidance to local organizations entailing transfer of knowledge and skills in DREAMS programming, implementation, monitoring and reporting, and quality improvement. Guide institutional development including leadership and governance, management, human resources as well as fiduciary responsibility and sustainability
- Monitor program resources allocated for DREAMS activities to ensure that they are being used rationally and that there are no cost overruns
3.Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting
- In collaboration with Strategic Information staff, regularly analyze and interpret HIV care and treatment data to generate key results and trends to assist the Mission maintain a highly nimble DREAMS program
- Monitor and make recommendations to resolve implementation obstacles to ensure judicious use of USG funds and effective implementation of DREAMS interventions
- Perform data quality assessments to ensure the quality and reliability of program data
- Regularly undertake site visits to USAID supported programs to assess the quality of services, provide expert advice and guide implementing partners on newly emerging and highly efficacious approaches to HIV/AIDS prevention program implementation
COORDINATION WITH USG AND KEY STAKEHOLDERS - 20%
- Alongside other USAID staff serve as DREAMS subject matter expert through active engagement with other PEPFAR agencies, technical counterparts in Ministry of Health and other national stakeholders to advance USAID and USG strategic objectives related to key HIV/AIDS care and treatment interventions
- Engage actively as one of the Mission’s DREAMS staff in the preparation of key annual and mid-term planning and reporting documents including the Country Operational Plan, Operational Plan, Congressional Budget Justifications, Technical Notifications, Quarterly, Semi-Annual and Annual Progress Reports, among others
- Develop and maintain relationships with relevant national and sub-national/district and local government officials, in order to enhance success of HIV/AIDS service delivery interventions and advance USAID and USG strategic objectives
- Master’s Degree in Public Health, Social Work, Business, Finance, International Development or a relevant Social Sciences discipline
- A minimum of six years progressively responsible experience in HIV/AIDS programming, preferably with U.S. Government entities, or other bilateral organizations
- Experience in the design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of HIV/AIDS care and treatment initiatives in Uganda, or East Africa
- Demonstrated Knowledge of PEPFAR process through which HIV/AIDS programs are planned, reviewed, approved, implemented and evaluated.
- Demonstrated knowledge developing, implementing and assessing of institutional processes and systems in local organizations in Uganda
- Demonstrated experience in local organization capacity development focusing on governance, accountability and service delivery in public, faith-based, non-governmental, civil society and community institutions
- Ability to communicate information in an objective, transparent, accurate, and concise oral and written forms and to represent USAID/Uganda’s programs and priorities to a wide range of outside parties including senior Ugandan officials, USAID senior management, and others
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with implementing partners, private sector partners, other donor partners, and both central and district level Government of Uganda counterparts
- Spoken and written fluency in English required
About the Organization
QED is a global consulting firm with more than 20 years of experience providing data-driven and insightful solutions in more than 90 countries. We are passionate about transforming lives through knowledge-based solutions. Leveraging deep expertise in monitoring, evaluation, global health, and learning, we help our clients collect, analyze, visualize, and ultimately use data in more effective ways. Our work maximizes results through the use of cutting edge technologies and innovation, organizational development, and evidence-based decision-making.