The Cloudburst Group is anticipating the award of a mid-term performance evaluation for USAID/Malawi of the Local Government Accountability and Performance Activity (LGAP). LGAP supports the Government of Malawi to decentralize personnel, finances, and service delivery responsibilities to from the central government to local government councils. The goal of this evaluation is to assess the relevance and effectiveness of LGAP interventions in advancing the activity’s purpose. Evaluation methodology may include a desk review, key informant interviews and focus group discusses with key stakeholders and beneficiaries, and quantitative surveys.
This posting is to recruit an independent consultant to lead the Performance Evaluation with experience conducting mid-term and final performance evaluations for USAID programs.
Period of Performance: August through December 2020
Essential Duties/Tasks and Responsibilities:
- In consultation with Cloudburst and assessment team, develop a detailed work plan for the assessment.
- Collaborate with assessment team, including Cloudburst, to design and implement a rigorous mixed methods assessment approach. This should include primary survey data of sector stakeholders and beneficiaries, focus group discussions, key informant interviews, direct observation and case study, and policy analysis. Emphasis should be on collection of reliable empirical data and/or objectively verifiable evidence, as opposed to anecdotal evidence.
- Potentially coauthor an evidence review report highlighting main findings of preparatory work, specifically review of academic literature and other relevant reports (USAID strategy documents, program documents, past evaluation reports, relevant legislation). This may include serving as lead author on this report or collaborating with another assessment team member to draft this report.
- Conduct fieldwork to support assessment.
- Prepare remote findings workshop and out-brief for Mission and Embassy staff at conclusion of fieldwork.
- Coauthor a performance review report, responding to USAID’s questions and criteria, with an emphasis on analysis-based, actionable, and operational recommendations that can assist with strategic decision-making and programmatic decisions. This may include serving as lead author on this report or collaborating with another assessment team member to draft this report.
- Present assessment to USAID and other USG officials.
Minimum Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- At least five years of experience in democracy, governance, and rule of law research and programming.
- Master’s degree in a relevant field.
- Familiarity with USAID’s objectives, approaches, and operations.
- Knowledge of assessment methodology and field work preparations, including evidence reviews, qualitative and quantitative data collection, analysis, and reporting. Experience with rigorous impact evaluation methodology (RCTs, difference-in-difference, etc) preferred.
- Experience providing technical MEL support to USAID Missions or USAID projects preferred.
- Superior writing, communication, and analytical skills.
- Excellent management and leadership skills.
- English fluency required.
- Experience in Malawi and/or Southern Africa preferred.
About the Organization
The Cloudburst Group is a small consulting business with its main office in Landover, MD. Cloudburst is considered a leader in optimizing the effectiveness and sustainability of public/private programs that target underserved populations and support communities domestically and internationally. Our services include research, evaluation, planning, management consulting and technical assistance, communications and performance measurement.
The Cloudburst Group is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, national origin, age, veteran status, disability or genetics, or any other protected class. Cloudburst will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled