The Monitoring, Evaluation, Research and Learning (MERL) activity supports United States Agency for International Development (USAID)/South Africa’s Health Office by working collaboratively with the members of the office to achieve their overall goals by creatively finding innovative solutions, supplement their existing staff capacity and complement, and as appropriate enhance capacity in performance management; evaluation and research; and systematic collaboration, continuous learning and adaptive management.
As one of the principal agencies responsible for the implementation of the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR), USAID shares the Government of South Africa’s and PEPFAR’s strategic focus that utilizes quality epidemiologic results and budget data to ensure accountability, learn from experience, gain efficiencies, and maximize impact on the TB and HIV epidemics. This approach hinges on continually collecting and analyzing high quality data and using these data to strategically focus resources, improve implementing partner management, and replicate best practices and efficient interventions.
By bolstering MERL capacity, this activity seeks to support USAID’s Bilateral Health Office to meet MERL objectives for its HIV and TB programs and ultimately to achieve results across its specific health areas. In leading the MERL activity, the Panagora Group seeks to flexibly and rapidly respond to USAID’s needs as they arise by working with a wide array of South African consultants and institutions that are creative problem solvers specializing in many aspects of monitoring, evaluation, research and learning.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
This will be a full-time position, based in Pretoria, South Africa.
Responsibilities: The Performance Monitoring Advisor (PMA) is a creative problem solver with monitoring, evaluation, research and learning experience in South Africa. The PMA will work collaboratively with the USAID/South Africa Strategic Information Team to provide support to the larger USAID/South Africa Health Team to achieve their goals.
The PMA will provide this support in three overarching areas including: providing direct technical assistance, identifying areas and developing scopes of work for short term resources where needed and ensuring deliverables developed meet USAID expectations. The PMA needs to be a quick thinker who can develop out-of-the-box solutions and works well with a diverse team. He/she will:
- Collaborate with USAID or other partners to learn about their goals and requirements
- Provide direct technical assistance, brainstorming and support in a wide variety of monitoring, evaluation, research and learning activities
- Identify areas and develop scopes of work for support provided by specific consultant(s) and/or small organizations
- Understand PEPFAR and USAID standards, indicators, evaluations, and data collection tools and reporting timelines and systems
- Design and conduct data quality assessments including analysis of results and contribute to site and district specific recommendations
- Develop a variety of assessments and/or evaluations. Utilize both traditional and modern tools and those that meet USAID and PEPFAR standards.
- Develop data visualizations and presentations that effectively communicate results to a wide variety of stakeholders
- Facilitate the review and use of performance monitoring information for adaptive management
- Conduct secondary analysis and literature reviews
- Understand situational interpretations and analyze data to identify and understand challenges
- Formulate plans for implementation of recommendations
- Write R scripts or equivalents to improve data automation and use
- A Master’s degree in public health, international development, M&E, or a related field
- 10 years of experience in international development or global health
- Significant work experience as Management Consultant or another relevant role
- Proven experience in project management of large multi-phase projects
- Strong working knowledge of business management best practices
- Solid knowledge of data analysis and research techniques
- Familiarity with common business software, project management programs, data collection and analysis software, and IT systems
- Able to develop and present detailed, actionable proposals and plans
- Impeccable organizational skills
- Aptitude for analytical and creative thinking
- Excellent listening skills with an ability to communicate with professionals in various disciplines
- Ability to portray complex data sets in easy to understand formats and experience with data visualization
- Experience working with Health and/or PEPFAR-funded projects preferred
- Ability to obtain security clearance at the “facility access” level on award
Duration of the MERL Activity: August 2018 to May 31, 2021, with possibility of a 2-year extension
About the Organization
Panagora Group is a woman-owned small business providing novel and integrated solutions in global health and international development. Our vision is to provide high-quality, high-impact social and economic development consulting, with a special focus on public-private partnerships, human and institutional capacity-building, knowledge sharing and collaborative learning, NGO/community engagement, and integrated solutions that build country capacity and independence.