The Performance, Monitoring and Evaluation, and Learning (PMEL) Director will oversee PMEL activities for the anticipated USAID-funded Pakistan Youth Development Project (PYDP). The project will prepare youth for workforce participation (employment or entrepreneurship) by focusing education assistance on skills acquisition and civic engagement, and supporting youth as they emerge from training programs to identify employment opportunities or pursue entrepreneurial ventures to improve livelihoods, reduce the prospect of economic marginalization, serve as role models for other youth, and contribute to Pakistan’s economic growth.
The PMEL Director will take the lead role in ensuring the collection, analysis and reporting of performance information on all program deliverables and will be responsible for all aspects of the program reporting requirements.
The PMEL Director will develop a robust monitoring framework for program activities, assuring quality and responsible monitoring of activities and projects in the field. In coordination with the Chief of Party and HQ IT systems, s/he will design and implement a secure, accurate and comprehensive PMEL data base management system specific to PYDP program activities.
This position is contingent upon award of the PYDP project.
Essential Job Functions
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Developing a PMEL framework and a data system for capturing performance measurement reporting;
- Ensuring effective and efficient flow of information on project results to all stakeholders;
- Facilitating project evaluation, review and knowledge management to inform leadership team decisions;
- Training program staff on their roles and responsibilities in PMEL;
- Developing appropriate performance indicators; reviewing indicator data quality; setting baseline and target measures; and ensuring performance data is available and properly analyzed;
- Ensuring that gender considerations and the needs of special populations are fully considered in all evaluation, monitoring and survey work;
- Overseeing the development of surveys, and supervise and guide the work of survey contractors;
- Organizing and participating in periodic learning opportunities and the presentation of lessons from analytic work;
- Producing periodic project performance reports, including quarterly, semi-annual and annual reports;
- Overseeing special studies and analysis, including lessons learned case studies and success stories, as required;
- Responding to periodic performance data requests;
- Providing data on progress towards performance indicators, project details and analysis, and program achievements;
- Developing tools and mechanisms to monitor program performance and evaluated the appropriateness and relevance of program implementation strategies;
- Ensuring PMEL staff use appropriate data collection techniques and secured documentation to report on program indicators required;
- Developing the project PMEL Plan in cooperation with the Chief of Party and Blumont’s Arlington office;
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree required; Master’s Degree or the equivalent advanced degree in International Affairs, International Development, Policy Analysis, Economics, Public Administration, Business Administration, Statistics/Social Research, or related fields.
- Eight (8) years of professional work experience (10 years of professional work experience-for candidates with Bachelor’s Degree), in international development or related work.
- Five (5) years of experience in monitoring and evaluation of foreign assistance activities.
- Experience designing and implementing M&E systems for international development projects.
- Expertise in at least one of the M&E-related activities such as statistical analysis, impact analysis, performance evaluations, instrument design and management or in learning.
- Strong communication skills (oral and written) required.
- Operational knowledge of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and Management Information Systems (MIS).
- Experience with USAID M&E policies and protocols.
- Fluency in English and Urdu.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including patience, diplomacy, willingness to listen to and respect colleagues. Must be capable of working both individually and as part of a team.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to maintain the highest degree of discretion
- Ability to work in a diverse work environment.
- Demonstrable results oriented, flexible and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated strong communication and problem-solving skills, results-oriented, flexible.
- Create supportive working relationship among all program components.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, stressful environment. Must be flexible, willing to perform other duties and work irregular hours.
Blumont is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, age, or other legally protected characteristics. Military veterans, AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, Teach America and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply.
About the Organization
Blumont, a charitable, non-profit, non-governmental organization, focuses its operations in regions of the world that present social, political and technical challenges. Blumont specializes in facilitating and supporting assistance that is tailored specifically to those most in need. Blumont works in collaboration with a wide range of organizations in the design and implementation of humanitarian relief and development aid programs, including U.S. and foreign government agencies, bilateral and international donor organizations, international finance organizations, faith-based organizations, advocacy groups, international and local NGOs, and U.S. corporations. Blumont's mission is to reduce the suffering of the world’s most vulnerable groups and provide tools and resources needed to increase their self-sufficiency. We accomplish our mission by implementing targeted cost-effective relief and development programs that improve the lives of these vulnerable groups