The Performance, Monitoring and Evaluation, and Learning (PMEL) Director will oversee PMEL activities for the anticipated four year, $25-$50M USAID-funded El Salvador Citizens Security Project (CSP), providing technical direction and overall leadership. The anticipated project goal is to reduce urban violence through strengthening community resilience, municipal service delivery and police engagement.
The PMEL Director will take the lead role in ensuring the collection, analysis and reporting of performance information on all program deliverables and will be responsible for all aspects of the program reporting requirements.
The PMEL Director will develop a robust monitoring framework for program activities, assuring quality and responsible monitoring of activities and projects in the field. In coordination with the Chief of Party and HQ IT systems, s/he will design and implement a secure, accurate and comprehensive PMEL data base management system specific to CSP program activities.
This position is contingent upon award of the project.
Essential Job Functions
- Developing a PMEL framework and a data system for capturing performance measurement reporting;
- Ensuring effective and efficient flow of information on project results to all stakeholders;
- Facilitating project evaluation, review and knowledge management to inform leadership team decisions;
- Training program staff on their roles and responsibilities in PMEL;
- Developing appropriate performance indicators; reviewing indicator data quality; setting baseline and target measures; and ensuring performance data is available and properly analyzed;
- Ensuring that gender considerations and the needs of special populations are fully considered in all evaluation, monitoring and survey work;
- Overseeing the development of surveys, and supervise and guide the work of survey contractors;
- Organizing and participating in periodic learning opportunities and the presentation of lessons from analytic work;
- Producing periodic project performance reports, including quarterly, semi-annual and annual reports;
- Overseeing special studies and analysis, including lessons learned case studies and success stories, as required;
- Responding to periodic performance data requests;
- Providing data on progress towards performance indicators, project details and analysis, and program achievements;
- Developing tools and mechanisms to monitor program performance and evaluated the appropriateness and relevance of program implementation strategies;
- Ensuring PMEL staff use appropriate data collection techniques and secured documentation to report on program indicators required;
- Developing the project PMEL Plan in cooperation with the Chief of Party and Blumont’s Arlington office;
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in field relevant to position;
- Eight (8) years of professional work experience (10 years of professional work experience-for candidates with Bachelor’s Degree), in international development or related work.
- Five (5) years of experience in monitoring and evaluation of foreign assistance activities.
- Experience designing and implementing M&E systems for international development projects.
- Expertise in at least one of the M&E-related activities such as statistical analysis, impact analysis, performance evaluations, instrument design and management or in learning.
- Strong communication skills (oral and written) required.
- Operational knowledge of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and Management Information Systems (MIS).
- Experience with USAID M&E policies and protocols.
- Fluency in English and Spanish.
Preferred Skills & Experience:
- Master’s degree.
- Experience in Central America.
- Experience in El Salvador.
- Prior experience working on USAID funded contracts.
- Experience training staff.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including patience, diplomacy, willingness to listen to and respect colleagues. Must be capable of working both individually and as part of a team.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to maintain the highest degree of discretion
- Ability to work in a diverse work environment.
- Demonstrable results oriented, flexible and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated strong communication and problem-solving skills, results-oriented, flexible.
- Create supportive working relationship among all program components.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, stressful environment.
- Must be flexible, willing to perform other duties and work irregular hours.
- This position will be based in San Salvador but it is expected that the candidate will be required to travel outside the city up to 30% of the time.
- Normal Office Conditions.
About the Organization
Blumont, a charitable, non-profit, non-governmental organization, focuses its operations in regions of the world that present social, political and technical challenges. Blumont specializes in facilitating and supporting assistance that is tailored specifically to those most in need. Blumont works in collaboration with a wide range of organizations in the design and implementation of humanitarian relief and development aid programs, including U.S. and foreign government agencies, bilateral and international donor organizations, international finance organizations, faith-based organizations, advocacy groups, international and local NGOs, and U.S. corporations. Blumont's mission is to reduce the suffering of the world’s most vulnerable groups and provide tools and resources needed to increase their self-sufficiency. We accomplish our mission by implementing targeted cost-effective relief and development programs that improve the lives of these vulnerable groups