Nathan Associates is seeking a Public Financial Management (PFM) Advisor, preferably with experience in the health sector, including knowledge of health sector budgeting and basic knowledge of broader health financing concepts. The PFM Advisor will be responsible for technical oversight of a portfolio of short, medium and long-term projects that provide technical assistance in PFM and domestic resource mobilization for health to developing countries. The PFM Advisor will report to the Vice President, Economic Policy and Governance. Preferred location for this position is Arlington, VA, but other locations can be considered for the right candidate. The Advisor will be expected to provide technical advice and support to field level colleagues and host country government counterparts anywhere in the world on a short-term basis as well as on a long-term remote support basis.
- Provide technical advice and global thought leadership to USAID or partner country institutions (government and non-government) in the public finance for health subject matter area.
- Provide technical oversight for a portfolio of USAID-funded public financial management activities aiming to increase financial protection for health. In this capacity, s/he will support recruitment and provide technical oversight of short- and long-term technical assistance consultants working in countries around the world.
- Maintain positive client relationships, ensure the delivery of high quality services and contract execution within budget parameters.
- Ensure productive working relationships with the prime contractor, other advisors and consultants, and counterparts at the global, national and subnational levels.
- Serve as a lead PFM technical expert for project activities.
- Provide technical review of reports and documents from the field.
- Provide training and capacity building to promote an improved understanding of various aspects of public financial management.
- Participate as an active member of the project’s management team, coordinate with project leadership, Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Advisors and others on the team as needed.
- Demonstrated record of accomplishment in the design and/or implementation of PFM activities related to the health sector, or a willingness to learn if no specific health sector experience. This includes leading the design, providing technical guidance and overseeing the implementation of activities, preferably in multiple countries.
- Ability to design innovative and creative technical approaches to reduce barriers to the delivery of publically funded health services.
- Experience working at national and subnational levels preferred.
- Capacity to lead innovative public financing efforts, including performance-based and program-based budgeting, and gender-responsive health financing schemes.
- Sound knowledge of methodologies used in PFM research, cost-effectiveness analysis, quantitative analysis, and statistical/econometric analysis.
- Ability to capture lessons learned and to conceptualize best practice in public finance for health approaches.
- An advanced degree in economics, public administration, finance, economics or related field.
- A minimum of 10 years professional experience, of which at least 5 years professional experience working on PFM activities funded by donor agencies (e.g., USAID, World Bank, IMF, ADB).
- Short-term or long-term experience working in a developing country(ies).
- Experience in two or more of the following areas: budget formulation and execution, fiscal policy, tax administration, DRM, public finance for health, health financing or innovative financing for health.
- Excellent management and mentoring skills.
- Strong oral and written communication and presentation skills in English.
- Foreign language skills (French preferred but not required).
About the Organization
Nathan is a private international economic and analytics consulting firm that works with government and commercial clients around the globe to deliver practical solutions and achieve lasting results. Whether building frameworks for economic growth or navigating regulatory hurdles, securing infrastructure financing or evaluating and assessing disputes, Nathan’s experts serve as trusted partners, offering clients the analysis, technical advice, and strategies they need for sound decision-making. Known for both technical and service excellence and with corporate offices in the US, London, and India and more than 40 program offices around the world, we offer the following areas of expertise, honed since we opened our doors in 1946: International Development, Litigation & Expert Services, Infrastructure Project Development & Finance, Advisory Services