Functions/ Key Results Expected
Under the overall guidance of and reporting to the Project Manager/CTA (Planning, Monitoring and Reporting Advisor) undertakes duties and responsibilities that are focused on project planning, monitoring and reporting, implementation of project strategies and capacity building. She/he will work as part of the team focusing on the following key areas.
Summary of Key Functions:
- Active participation in project reporting, planning, development and monitoring plan
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- Establishment of appropriate monitoring system
- Establishment of Standardized reporting mechanism, and ensure effective & Timely reporting
- Contribute substantially to the proposal development process
Active participation in planning phase of the project by focusing on achieving the following results:
- Coordinate with all relevant MoF departments for preparation of weekly, monthly and quarterly reports
- Support and provide advice to the project management team and relevant MoF departments in preparation of annual work plans, budgets and other required documentation in respect of projects
- Monitor implementation of the Work Plan through collection and analysis of information
- Preparation of analytical reports using relevant information available from project to advise the Project Manager/CTA on the implementation of the Work Plan;
- Advise the Project and stakeholders on the progress of the Work Plan and contribute to analysis of deviation between planned and actual achievements
- Encourage common data collection strategies between and within projects where appropriate;
- Continuously review information available on indicators and targets to assess progress and identify constraints and gaps in implementation
- Provide inputs and recommendation on constraints on implementation of the Work Plan and the impact of the Project activities.
Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Identification and documentation of success stories, achievements, lesson learned and document recommendations to be integrated into broader knowledge management efforts.
- Contribution to the implementation of Knowledge Management and Learning Strategy.
- Collaboration and coordination with relevant MoF departments and UNDP CO on monitoring issues.
- Liaise with relevant officials in development partners, especially government stakeholders and partners for exchange of information and promote partnership;
- Organization and conduct of results-oriented trainings in the relevant areas.
- Participation in monitoring of development and professional norms, standards, tools and methodologies;
Establishment of appropriate monitoring system in the project.
- Develop internal system to monitor and follow up of project cycle Phases.
- Manage the Results Based Management Tool and the Results Management GOAL
- Quality control and proof read of project documentation, strategic products developed by the MBAW Project and mid-term and final evaluation reports.
- Development of suitable and innovative solutions and tools for improving project monitoring and reporting.
- Participate in programme and project reviews, monitoring of projects, review of focus areas, methodologies, strategies, etc., including those requested by Country Office and the Government partners
Establishment of standardized reporting mechanism, and ensure effective and timely reporting to senior management and stakeholders
- Under the guidance of Project Manager and in coordination with the CTA monitor, review, assess and report on all dimensions of project components;
- Facilitate compilation of data and information from different project components for development of comprehensive project report;
- Ensure that programme and donor-funded project reporting processes are systematized;
- Ensure that all project periodic reports i.e. monthly, quarterly, annual, final and donor specific reports are compiled in a timely manner capturing project impact against the Results Framework;
- Ensure that reports are developed using the most professional business writing and formatting with comprehensive analytical presentation of information;
- Develop clear and concise reports and power-point presentations for various meetings, workshops, conferences, etc., including the Project Board meeting and donor briefings;
- Provide updates to the Project Manager on overall project progress;
- Develop different standard reporting formats for collection of project related information from the field including project progress and monitoring reports besides formats for collection of project success stories in consultant with Country Office Communications Unit;
- Continuously capture and compile lessons learnt for utilization in future besides keeping track of the risk and issue logs for reporting purposes;
- Communicate with donors for collection of feedback on quality of reports for future quality improvement, in coordination with the project and Country Office programme unit,
- Work closely with the project team for impact oriented reporting;
Monitoring and Communications
- Improving Project’s Visibility by sharing lessons learned or best practices, success stories
- Improving Project’s outreach efforts to its different stakeholders by:
- Improving donors’ relations
- Conducting regular national events e.g. symposiums, roundtables and conferences on different project topics for Government, Parliament and Civil Society, academics and the public
- Helping the Communication team on communication related requirements
- Developing and maintaining the project’s M&E plan in line with the project’s annual performance plans, we need to elaborate more on this part to make sure the M&E ToR covers this point as well
- Developing and maintaining the project’s Risk assessment and mitigation plans
Contribute substantially to the proposal development process:
- Assist with information in formulation and drafting of project proposals, log-frames, budgets and work-plans for submission to donors; and
Perform other tasks and responsibilities assigned by the supervisor.
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on contributing to the overall success of the MBAW Project. In particular, the key results have an impact on the design, operation and programming of activities, creation of strategic partnerships as well as reaching resource mobilization targets. This post will have a key impact on MBAWP’s successful support to its programmes.
- By-Weekly Updates following UNDP template
- Monthly Progress Report in UNDP template
- Quarterly Reports in UNDP template
- Annual Report in UNDP template
- Annual Work Plan
Maintenance of Issue and risk Log and updating on ATLAS
Skills and Competencies
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience and contributes to MBAW Practice Areas and actively works towards continuing personal learning and development;
- Ability to provide top quality policy advice services on economic issues;
- In-depth practical knowledge of inter-disciplinary development issues.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting;
- Capacity to adapt policies, approaches and models to meet emerging needs;
- Ability to lead formulation and evaluation of development programmes and projects;
- Ability to apply economic theory to the specific country context, carry out high-quality economic research.
Management and Leadership
- Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to critical feedback;
- Encourages risk-taking in the pursuit of creativity and innovation;
- Leads teams effectively and shows conflict resolution skills;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills;
Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors.
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Communication, Economics, Political Sciences, Social Sciences or related field;
- 7 years of professional work experience at the national or international level in design, planning, monitoring and reporting in large scale development projects;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
Fluency in English language. Knowledge of duty station languages will be an asset.
Submission of Applications :
Interested International Applicants should submit their updated application comprises your CV and a one-page cover letter explaining your interest and suitability for the advertised position.
Making Budget & Aid Work Project, Ministry of Finance, Kabul Afghanistan.
PLEASE MENTION THE VACANCY NUMBER & NAME OF THE POSTIONS YOU ARE APPLYING FOR, IN YOUR EMAIL SUBJECT LINE, OTHERWISE THE APPLICATION WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED, APPLICATIONS RECEIVED AFTER THE DEADLINE WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
ONLY SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED FOR INTERVIEW.
Females are highly encouraged to apply.
The vacancy announcement is open only for International (s) applicants
About the Organization
UNDP is the UN’s global development network, an organization advocating for change and connecting countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life. We are on the ground in 166 countries, working with national counterparts on their own solutions to global and national development challenges.
UNDP Afghanistan is supporting the Government to find innovative solutions to its development challenges based on the on-going Country Programme Document approved by the Executive Board for the period 2006 – 2009. A new Country Programme Document was approved by the Executive Board during September 2009 for the period 2010-2013. Key priority areas for UNDP assistance are in strengthening democratic governance, crisis prevention and recovery, and reducing poverty. UNDP is strengthening the institutional capacities of key national government and sub-national authorities which aim to enhance human security, human development, peace and stability in Afghanistan.
UNDP Making Budgets & Aid Work (MBAW) project provides the essential support to the Ministry of Finance to strengthen budget planning, implementation and monitoring processes. In addition, the project promotes the effective use of the national budget as a tool for coordination of international development assistance to the government of Afghanistan through implementing various activities that build on the outputs and outcomes of the project in line with the ANDS and UNDAF