Job DescriptionPolicy and Results Specialist
Vacancy Announcement Number: 1659
Date of Issue: 25/07/2018
Deadline for Applications: 16/08/2018
Organizational Unit: OPR
Duty Station: ROME
Duration of Assignment: 2 Years
The International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) is an international financial institution and a specialized United Nations agency dedicated to eradicating rural poverty and hunger. It does so by investing in rural people. IFAD finances programmes and projects that increase agricultural productivity and raise rural incomes, and advocates at the local, national and international level for policies that contribute to rural transformation.
Post’s organizational accountability
Within the Programme Management Department, the Operational and Policy Results Division oversees operational policies and procedures, operational training through corporate learning programmes, compliance with environmental and social safeguards and project procurement policies, and operational performance monitoring and results reporting. It also manages IFAD’s self-evaluation architecture, including the interface with the Independent Office of Evaluation (IOE), and the performance-based allocation system (PBAS), and coordinates the drive for enhanced transparency and value for money. It is also responsible for overseeing corporate databases, including the Operational Results Management System (ORMS) and the Corporate Dashboard. During the project cycle, OPR plays an important role during project design as a secretariat for quality reviews, and is responsible for determining project categorization, including environmental. OPR also plays a pivotal role in coordinating the implementation of commitments emanating from replenishment consultations.
Key results expected / Major functional activities
Policy and Results Specialists are seasoned professionals with accountabilities/key results in the following key areas:
- Operational Delivery and Policy support
- Compliance functions
- Corporate Monitoring and Results Reporting
- Management of Resources
Policy and Results Specialists at this level work under the overall strategic, policy and management advice, and supervision of the Division Director.
The following Key Results Expected/Major Functional Activities are generic and representational; the majority, but not necessarily all, will be performed by the Policy and Results Specialist.
Operational Delivery and Policy Support
Accountabilities may include:
- Technical expertise to support the development and interpretation of major operational policies, regulations and rules, and systems so that the division supports corporate goals and objectives within the overall Fund mandates and strategies. S/he also serves as a business/programme advisor for operations. Supports the development and implementation of operational policies and procedures, ensuring that they evolve together with business needs and frontier issues on development.
- Key role in coordinating and contributing to the project design process
- Participation in project delivery teams and country management teams
- Focal point for operational and enterprise risk management in IFAD and other risk management related processes
- Developing monitoring and evaluation criteria for technical components of programmes and projects including updating guidelines and systems as required
- ensures compliance with key operational building-blocks such as procurement and safeguard procedures, and with policies and procedures governing programme management; and
- ensures harmonization and consistency with the Evaluation Policy of the Independent Office of Evaluation in relation to country and relevant corporate-level evaluations.
Corporate Monitoring and Results Reporting
In the context of IFAD’s self-evaluation architecture, the Policy and Results Specialist
- coordinates a one-stop-shop for corporate reporting on operational performance and results, including externally to donors, external organizations and key stakeholders;
- develops monitoring and evaluation criteria for technical components of programmes and projects including updating guidelines and systems as required;
- prepares analytical findings and reporting on results to governing bodies on divisional and country-level performance as part of the Fund’s development effectiveness;
- manages regular reporting on the Fund’s performance for senior management;
- is responsible for portfolio performance monitoring, producing results-related products and coordinating events; and
- portfolio performance monitoring and results reporting.
Management of Resources
Major functional activities relating to the management of resources include advisory, technical and analytical expertise in :
- the management of IFAD’s Performance-based Allocation System through which the Fund’s programme of loans and grants is principally financed; and
- coordination of all related reporting requirements, internally and to IFAD’s governing bodies.
Managerial Functions: The Policy and Results Specialist is accountable for integrity, transparency, and equity in the management of IFAD resources
Impact of Key results / Key performance indicators
Compliance of operations with IFAD rules, regulations and policies, implementation of corporate operational strategies and monitoring and reporting on achievement of results. Assignments require the provision of solid technical expertise and input for the area of his/her responsibility as well as in knowledge sharing with peers and counterparts. The work goes beyond technical analysis and synthesis to include substantive inputs to the development of knowledge products, evaluation of results and lessons learnt and best practices. The work is considered moderately complex requiring in-depth technical analysis and reporting.
Representation / Work relationships
The work relationships of the Policy and Results Specialist at this level are:
- in the context of operational delivery and policy support, maintains collaborative working relationships, both within the department, and with other relevant IFAD divisions.
- representation in internal and external fora in the areas of operational policies, procedures and compliance.
- Strategic thinking and organizational development: Personal influence (Level 1)
- Demonstrating Leadership: Personal leadership and attitude to change (Level 1)
- Learning, sharing knowledge and innovating: Continuously seeks to learn, shares knowledge and innovates (Level 1)
- Focusing on clients: Focuses on clients (Level 1)
- Problem solving and decision making: Demonstrates sound problem solving and decision making ability (Level 1)
- Managing time, resources and information: Manages own time, information and resources effectively (Level 1)
- Team Work: Contributes effectively to the team (Level 1)
- Communicating and negotiating: Communicates effectively: creates understanding between self and others (Level 1)
- Building relationships and partnerships: Builds and maintains effective working relationships (Level 1)
- Demonstrated experience in capturing learning and documenting integrity and professionalism: demonstrated expertise in area of speciality and ability to apply good judgment;
- High degree of autonomy, personal initiative and ability to take ownership; willingness to accept wide responsibilities and ability to work independently under established procedures;
- Capacity to communicate fluently with different stakeholders to coherence in compliance with and application of policies and procedures and, externally, to build networks.
- In-depth knowledge of corporate and operational standards, policies and procedures.
- Data governance and data management expertise.
- Strong statistical analysis (both qualitative and quantitative) skills to to facilitate management decision-making
- Writes clearly, succinctly and convincingly listens and communicates effectively to engage others.
- Computer skills: Full command of office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and ability to work with other relevant technology and procedures (e.g.: web-based databases and other statistical applications) to collect, organize, share and use information.
Minimum recruitment qualifications
- Advanced university degree from an accredited institution in the field of specialization/related discipline.
- At least 5 years progressively responsible experience in, and demonstrated understanding of, initiatives in the field of specialization.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English. Working knowledge of another official language (Arabic, French, or Spanish) is desirable.
Applicants should note that IFAD staff members are international civil servants subject to the authority of the President of IFAD, and they may be assigned by him/her to any of the activities of IFAD, including field assignments and/or rotation within IFAD.
In the interest of making most cost effective use of funds and resources, we are only able to respond to applicants who are short-listed for interview. Candidates who do not receive any feedback within three months should consider their application unsuccessful
Candidates may be required to take a written test and to deliver a presentation as well as participate in interviews.
IFAD is committed to achieving gender diversity. Women are particularly encouraged to apply.