Winrock is seeking a senior-level professional to lead the policy component of a USAID-funded project in Zambia to scale up clean cooking technologies and fuels, while reducing charcoal production and use. The Policy Lead will assess the Government of Zambia’s policies in the forestry, agriculture, industrial, and investment promotion sectors to identify barriers to investment in low emission cooking technologies and fuels, and determine how to strengthen enforcement of charcoal restrictions.
The role holder will work with relevant agencies to propose policies, draft new or amended regulations to encourage clean cooking-related investments, and advocate for policy/regulation adoption and allocation of budgets. The Policy Lead will seek to influence policy by providing capacity building and coordinating events for Government of Zambia agencies, and increasing the visibility of Zambia’s clean cooking efforts through international platforms. This position is contingent on receipt of donor funding.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Relevant advanced degree (MBA, JD, CPA or Masters in Finance)
- A minimum of seven (7) years of progressively responsible professional experience
- Strong English verbal and writing skills
- Demonstrated financial management skills and experience
- Zambia experience
- Experience with government promotion of environmentally-friendly trade and investment through fiscal and other incentives
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with institutional and private sector partners and stakeholders
- Experience with the agriculture and/or clean energy sectors preferred
- Experience working on USAID-funded projects preferred
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal skills and ability to motivate staff and partners to be accountable for project outcomes.
- Demonstrated organizational skills and strong track record in meeting deliverables and deadlines and ability to provide oversight of financial and operational aspects of projects
About the Organization
Winrock is a recognized leader in international development with a focus on social and environmental issues. As a mission driven field-based organization, we believe that sustainable development is inclusive and that complex challenges require integrated solutions. We pride ourselves as a quality-driven organization with the desire for a continuous improvement in program results and processes and for a culture of accountability.