Investing in Women
Investing in Women (IW) is a multi-country Australian Government initiative in Southeast Asia that seeks to improve women’s economic participation as employees and as entrepreneurs and influence the enabling environment to promote Women’s Economic Empowerment (WEE). It commenced in April 2016 with operations in the Philippines, Indonesia, Vietnam and Myanmar and is due to run through to June 2023. It is managed out of the Gender Equality Branch (GEB) of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) in Canberra. The Program is supporting the following outcomes:
- More businesses achieve improved gender equality in their workplaces
- Intentional impact investments in women’s small and medium enterprises (WSMEs) increase
- Positive shifts in gender norms related to workplace gender equality
For more information, see www.investinginwowen.asia
Based in Manila, the Policy Reform Expert will support Business Coalitions (BCs) in the Philippines, Vietnam, Indonesia and Myanmar to undertake policy influencing work. The position will lead research to identify and support effective influencing opportunities and will assist each of the BCs to further refine and implement their policy reform action plans.
The Policy Reform Expert will have a broad understanding of the enabling policy context for WGE advancement and will advise BCs of influencing and leveraging opportunities aligned with their priorities. The position is full time and contract offered to June 2022. It is open to local applicants or ex-pat applicants currently residing in the Philippines.
- Identify policy influencing opportunities to advance WGE within each of the 4 countries
- Support BC members to develop and implement policy influencing action plans
- Advise on WGE criteria within sustainability reporting frameworks
- Inform data analysis and research to assess WGE status in countries
- Ensure the availability of local/international resource experts and provides support to those STAs
- Identify and partner with other stakeholders working on WGE, gender reporting, and sustainability reporting
- Assist BCs in communicating work relating to WGE and policy reform
- Support P1 knowledge management by monitoring and recording policy influencing outcomes and impacts
- Demonstrated expertise in understanding barriers to WGE within formal workplace
- Demonstrated experience in effectively influencing policy in South East Asia
- Prior experience with sustainability reporting, preferably relating to gender, with experience of working with regulators
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal with ability to present to range of audiences
- Prior experience crafting policy-focused knowledge products
- Proven ability to mentor and coach others both in person and remotely, with experience of working across different cultures
- Fluent English both written and verbal, - Bahasa, Tagalog, Burmese or Vietnamese an advantage
Further Information & Application Details
Further information regarding this opportunity, including how to apply, can be found in the ‘View Position Description’ link at the top of this page.
Applications should be submitted online via the Careers page of Abt Associates’ website and MUST include a CV and covering letter addressing the key selection criteria.
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from experienced and capable women.
Applications close: Sunday, 18 April 2021 - midnight (AEST)
We welcome and thank all applicants however; only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a recognised leader in the international development sector. Working with our many partners, Abt Associates implements bold innovative solutions to improve the lives of the community and deliver valued outcomes for our clients. We provide a comprehensive range of services from policy to service delivery in the public and private sectors contributing to long term benefits for clients and communities. Operating in remote and challenging environments, we offer innovative solutions, extensive experience in the region, strong technical capacity, and a proven project management track record. We are committed to gender equity in our employment strategies and encourage applications from capable women. Abt Associates is a child safe organisation and promotes the safety, wellbeing and inclusion of all children.