Chemonics seeks a policy specialist for the five-year, $18.9 million USAID/Uzbekistan Agribusiness Development Activity which will work to orient the Uzbek agricultural sector to increasingly high-value products and expand it into regional markets and beyond. By supporting new value chains and scaling up work in the west and south of the country, the project will increase sales and exports in the sector. The policy specialist will lead project initiatives to design, improve, and implement legislation, policies, regulations, or standards to benefit Uzbekistan’s agricultural sector. He/she will act as the project’s primary point of contact in correspondence with the Ministry of Agriculture, other governmental and non-governmental bodies, donors, and other stakeholders in all legislative, regulatory, standardization, and policy-related issues. This position will be based in the project’s office in Tashkent, Uzbekistan. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
- Participate in Ministry of Agriculture’s (MoA) policy development working groups
- Prepare scope of works (SOWs) for experts to support the MoA and project in the design and/or implementation of legislation, policies, regulations, or standards to benefit the agricultural sector
- Support the MoA in the implementation of select components of the MoA’s Agri-Food Development Strategy through direct consultations and/or preparation of SoWs for experts
- Organize and manage implementation of virtual and in-person consultations of experts with the MoA’s working groups and staff and other stakeholders
- Act as the project’s primary point of contact with the USAID-funded Kyrgyz Republic Agro Trade Activity (ATA)
- Coordinate with ATA, MoA, Ministry of Investments and Foreign Trade, donors, and other governmental and non-governmental organizations to facilitate, improve, and increase trade of domestic and cross-border agricultural products in Central Asia
- Coordinate with the USAID-funded Competitiveness, Trade, and Jobs Activity, ATA, MoA, and other stakeholders in developing and implementing export promotion strategies
- Undergraduate degree
- Prior experience in designing and/or implementing agriculture-related legislation, policies, regulations, and/or standards with the MoA or other key stakeholders
- Proven ability to oversee and properly manage simultaneously multiple legislative, regulatory, or policy issues
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Uzbek required and Russian skills preferred
Please send an email with your CV and cover letter attached and “Policy Specialist” in the subject line to UzbekADArecruit@chemonics.com by October 8, 2020. No telephone inquiries, please. Chemonics will contact finalists.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.
Chemonics values the protection of your personal data. If you are in the European Union, please read our EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice to learn how we process personal data. You may access the notice via the following link: https://chemonics.com/eu-recruiting-data-privacy-notice/.
About the Organization
Owned entirely by employees, Chemonics is an ISO-9001 certified international development company. For more than 40 years, we have partnered with local and international organizations to promote social and economic change around the world.
Chemonics International is a leading international development consulting firm based in Washington, D.C. with more than 40 years of experience implementing programs around the world.