SUMMARY OF THE PROJECT
Cowater International is preparing for an upcoming opportunity focusing on supporting land reform in Africa. The Programme aims to support governments and other actors in Africa develop the basic building blocks of a fit-for-purpose central land governance system and more efficient, fair and transparent land investment approval processes. The Decision Support Unit will provide advisory services to help the client and delivery partners make evidence-based, outcome-oriented and VFM-driven decisions throughout implementation.
The Programme is expected to start in 2021 for a period of 6 years.
SUMMARY OF THE POSITION
The Political Economy Analysis Expert will be a core member of the team, reporting directly to the Team Leader. The PEA Expert will lead all programme activities aiming to develop a deeper understanding of the political context in the countries of intervention as well as the specific political and economic aspects that could influence the strategic direction of the Programme.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Lead the PEA framework development for the decision support unit
- Proactively build and maintain positive, productive working relationships with team members and key stakeholders
- Provide strategic political economy recommendations to the project and drive the overall implementation, ensuring a politically informed approach is embedded
- Conduct appropriate PEAs to help inform adaptive programming activities and overall strategy development
- Lead baseline country scoping and PE assessments for each target countries
- Support ongoing PE monitoring and decision making
- Through PEA, generate evidence to strengthen cross-sectoral analysis and identify entry points for the programme
- Work with the MEL team to ensure the MEL activities and tools are flexible, adaptive and appropriately incorporating political economy findings
- Regular reporting to Team Leader, as well as fulfilment of contractual reporting to the client
- A graduate degree in social science, international development, economics, public policy or related degree with demonstrated competence in PEA.
- At least 10 years of experience, including relevant work in land governance, public policy and/or administration.
- Robust experience conducting Political Economy Analysis in Africa (any experience in one of the following countries is a strong asset: Senegal, Sierra Leone, Cote D’Ivoire, Ghana, Nigeria, DRC, Uganda, Somalia, Malawi, Zambia, Zimbabwe)
- Work experience with government and with development partners in land governance areas through wider engagement of stakeholders
- Demonstrated experience leading PEA teams and applying PEA as part of the design and implementation of international development programming, ideally with FCDO
- Knowledge and experience of a range of different research approaches, in particular PEA, qualitative research, focus group discussion, and gender analysis
- Track record in using PEA to inform program’s overall strategy and to develop a conflict- and gender-sensitive approach
- Experience with FCDO funded projects an asset
- Solid understanding of governance and economic reform in Africa and/or Asia
- Excellent communication skills in English (speaking and writing) – French an asset
Candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
For your application to be considered, please upload your documents as followed: Candidate Last Name, First Name, date, Title of the Position.
We thank all applicants, however only those shortlisted will be contacted.
About the Organization
With more than 35 years’ experience, Cowater International is Canada’s global leader in management consulting services specializing in international development and has managed the implementation of over 800 projects in more than 80 countries around the globe. We work with governments, partner organizations, communities and civil society to design and implement sustainable solutions that generate lasting social, financial and environmental impacts. Our adaptive approach to management has led to our award-winning work and recognition as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies in 2017, 2018 and 2019. Headquartered in Ottawa, Canada, Cowater International also has corporate offices in Montreal, Quebec; London, United Kingdom; Nairobi, Kenya; and Brussels, Belgium, in addition to project offices in a wide variety of other locations across Sub-Saharan Africa and Asia.
We thank you for your interest in building a better tomorrow with Cowater International.