Using a long-term, strategic lens on development, the Portfolio Growth Manager purposefully assesses the business trends impacting development, fosters relationships with current and future partners of the Pillar and Global Communities, and continuously seeks to leverage existing projects into a sustainable business platform at the country, technical levels and/or product line levels.
Understanding the business landscape, s/he collaborates with the Senior Director of Development/Partnerships on the private sector engagements expanding the Pillar’s technical assets. S/he will contribute to and/or prepare concept papers and proposals commensurate with the needs of the Economic Growth Pillar and/or the broader Global Communities business needs.
1. In collaboration with the Senior Pillar Directors and Technical Directors, the PGM develops the Economic Growth business strategy and leads implementation of that strategy.
* Conducts and/or ensures analysis of donor priorities, opportunities and trends to develop business development strategies.
* Identifies, leads and supports traditional (USG) and non-traditional program opportunities and leverage opportunities for the pillar.
* Conducts positioning assessments and capture work, and develops strategies to enhance competitiveness and increase organizational growth.
* Develops and defines partnership arrangements as related to specific needs within the pillar.
* Consistently scanning and identifying business opportunities advancing the pillars product lines and contributing to Global Communities’ short/long-tern business pipeline.
* May serve as the team lead for concept papers or proposals that are targeted to specific product lines within the Pillar or contribute to the broader advancement of Global Communities.
* May serve as the lead writer for concept papers and support proposal writing as needed by the Pillar. As lead writer, in collaboration with the proposal team lead, field and headquarters teams, contributes to strategic approaches, interventions, and activities and develops a competitive and responsive technical narrative including strategy, program design and proposed activities.
* Supports Global Communities’ priority business proposals as needed in a review capacity, advising or participating in design and/or budget allocations and partner selection.
2. Builds relationships with potential donors, clients and strategic partners within the domain of the Pillar and its technical expertise, as well as Global Communities overall.
* Identifies and establishes relationships with new partners, sub-awardees/subcontractors, and/or donors to enhance the Pillar’s and Global Communities’ capabilities and expand programming.
* Supports the Pillar’s and Global Communities’ program and field staff’s relationship building with donors and partners.
* Represents Global Communities at meetings, conferences, and workshops.
3. Integrates the Pillar’s and Global Communities’ business interests at field and headquarter levels.
* Leads or contributes to the creation, implementation, and updating of Country Business Plans in concert with the overall business needs of Global Communities.
* Leads capacity building efforts in business and marketing at the country level for Global Communities’ and/or Pillar project teams.
* Seeks for business practices of excellence that contribute to the global agenda of Global Communities, coordinating these practices into scholarly or briefing documents, professional growth seminars, and communities of practice consistent with the goals and mission for Global Communities’ advancement.
* Provides input and Coordinates with the Technical Director to ensure visiting field staff have the opportunity to visit with relevant stakeholders, present and future clients and partners for advancement of the Pillar and Global Communities.
* Master’s degree and a minimum of 5 years’ proposal development experience for USAID, other bilateral, multi-lateral and/or private sector donors; or the equivalent of a Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 8 years’ proposal development experience for USAID, other bilateral, multi-lateral of private sector donors required.
* Demonstrated experience leading, writing, and winning full proposals related to Economic Growth programming.
* Must have U.S. work authorization.
Global Communities is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. EOE/AA - Minorities/Females/Veterans/Individual with Disabilities.
About the Organization
Global Communities is an international development non-profit organization. Our mission is to create long-lasting, positive and community-led change that improves the lives and livelihoods of vulnerable people across the globe.
Global Communities is seeking an experienced proposal development professional for a Portfolio Growth Manager role in the Economic Growth Technical Pillar at the headquarters in downtown Silver Spring, Maryland. The Portfolio Growth Manager works in concert with the Senior Pillar Director and the Pillar's Technical Directors to develop and execute a pipeline of business opportunities within the Economic Growth's technical expertise and product lines, including: Responsible Businesses and Inclusive Markets, Cooperative Businesses, Workforce Development, and Access to Finance.
In addition, as a member of the Programs and Partnership Division, s/he works in synchrony with the Division's Senior Vice President to create and implement a business culture and strategic business portfolio for the Division.