Position Located in Washington, D.C.
CAMRIS International, Inc. is an international development and research firm that provides innovative solutions to health and development challenges through high-quality, economical program and research management services.
The United States Agency for International Development (USAID) has contracted through CAMRIS International to recruit and hire qualified individuals for the following position:
Title: DIV Portfolio Manager (Program Analyst)
The Development Innovations Ventures (DIV) program, an open innovation program designed to find breakthrough innovations, minimize risk, and maximize impact through staged financing, rigorous testing of impact and cost effectiveness, and scaling of proven innovations through the public and private sectors. DIV is widely-recognized as a highly-innovative program in government (for example, having been recognized, for example, by Harvard’s Ash Center as a 2015 Top 25 Innovation in American Government, and by the President’s Spark Initiative). Its portfolio organizations include everything from Off-Grid Electric, a social enterprise providing solar power to rural households in Sub-Saharan Africa, to Innovations for Poverty Action, an organization that conducts impact evaluations to identify what works in development.
The Program Analyst provides support to technical staff, performing a variety of both complex and analytical duties. These duties range from routine tasks such as maintaining program files, to more complex analytical-type tasks such as collecting, compiling, and analyzing data for various program documents and designing and maintaining spreadsheets in support of financial tracking systems. The Program Analyst will work closely with the team and provide input on related technical and managerial issues. The program analyst will also work with other members of the team to assist in areas such as country backstopping, overall administrative support and other duties. More specifically support the process to select new DIV grants, including coordinating review meetings and materials, responding to inquiries and engaging reviewers within and outside the team and contribute to data collection processes and results reporting, ranging from budget information to DIV portfolio-wide data to DIV grantee-specific data.
The Program Analyst will also support DIV Agreement’s Officer Representatives (AOR) (i.e., the official grants manager assigned to a particular grant) to provide strategic advice and technical support for a portfolio of organizations that receive DIV grant awards, serving as the primary liaison and interlocutor with those organizations on a wide range of sector technical, programmatic, human resources, financial, and administrative issues. In this capacity, the Program Analyst will provide a variety of support to the awardee, depending on its stage of maturity (e.g., early-stage or later-stage start-up) and organizational needs. Liaise with other offices and teams within the U.S. Global Development Lab, USAID missions, functional bureaus, and independent offices and develop a working knowledge of USAID policies and guidelines; Leverage lessons learned from DIV and its peers to influence and shape how the Lab, Agency and sector as a whole think about generating and using evidence.
The Program Analyst should have experience in one or more of the following:
* Designing, implementing, and analyzing impact evaluations, quantitative studies, and/or cost-effectiveness analysis
* Supporting social enterprises and/or businesses
* Implementing programs in developing countries
* Impact investing and/or grant-making
Duties and Responsibilities:
* Collects and compiles data for use in regular and ad hoc reporting on the status of programs from various sources such as cooperating agency reports, USAID reports and documents, and technical staff and ensures that schedules and deadlines are met; Collects and makes arrangements for distribution of material to the USAID missions, USAID/W offices, host country institutions, and cooperating agencies
* Generate ideas for potential strategic sourcing partners, such as other impact investors and networks of entrepreneurs, with which the DIV team can partner to identify high-potential organizations that may benefit from funding from DIV-led programs, such as DIV
* Review short, initial Expressions of Interest (EOIs) to determine if a proposal demonstrates sufficient technical merit to warrant additional engagement and due diligence through the Full Application process. Engage in extensive “co-creation” with high-potential applicants invited to submit a Full Application in order to shape, refine, and strengthen the nature and scope of the application and ensure it meets the DIV selections criteria of rigorous evidence of impact, cost-effectiveness, and potential to scale. Examples of activities that the incumbent may perform as part of this role include: reviewing the evidence base underlying the proposed approach; engaging external expert reviewers; assessing the potential sustainability of the proposed business model; assessing the management capacity of the applicant: understanding the data capabilities of the applicant.
* Participate in reviews and selection decisions for those applicants that proceed to the full application stage, including: assisting in organizing Technical Evaluation Committees (TECs), incorporating feedback from multiple sources from within and outside the Agency, actively engaging with applicants to shape high-potential projects, presenting funding recommendations to the DIV team, and communicating funding decisions to applicants
* Provide ongoing strategic advisory services to grantees, similar to services provided by a Portfolio Manager in a private sector venture capital firm, on a wide variety of issues, including financial modeling, effective data collection and impact evaluation, organizational development plan, talent recruitment, and scaling high-impact solutions in complex environments
* Maintain a strong network of partners within USAID, including regional and technical bureaus, and externally, such as other bilateral and multilateral donors, philanthropies, and private sector investors, with which to support portfolio organizations in accessing additional funding and non-financial support
* Contribute to the development of DIV tools (such as data collection templates to support a portfolio organization’s monitoring and evaluation efforts), knowledge products, and thought leadership artifacts (such as articles for publication and blog posts), drawing on the incumbent’s direct experience providing strategic advisory support to a portfolio of organizations. Manage strategic partnership development with and between key partners, including other donors, Missions and Bureaus, implementing partners and innovators
* Supports grants and contracts for the organization; Keep abreast of new developments and emerging issues by attending meetings, workshops and conferences. Formulate recommendations for USAID steps in response to these developments and share with colleagues
* Provides assistance to technical staff and recipient organizations to ensure that financial and technical reports are prepared and submitted as required. Prepares budgets and financial tracking sheets to be used by the team. Maintains/or provides assistance with administrative and financial tracking systems, and assists in the design and maintenance of spreadsheets and databases to support these systems
* Assists technical staff in the preparation of various program documents and correspondence such as: memos and waivers, amendments, project authorization documents, Congressional Notifications, Technical Notifications, and requests, ensuring that all documentation is complete and in compliance with USAID rules, regulations, and standards
* Participates in country team activities as needed (travel may be required)
* Provides technical assistance as requested or assigned. Works with USAID staff on general management-related activities. Participates in all relevant technical and managerial meetings for the purpose of assisting in management duties.
* Provides short term backstopping support as requested for Technical staff
* Researches, plans, analyzes, and organizes technical and/or statistical information and develops data for use in briefings, publications, and reports
* Prepares program communications such as cables, memoranda, and letters that seek approval or request information relative to program matter
* Performs other duties as assigned
Required Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
* The position requires a college degree and a minimum of 6 years of professional experience, or a Master’s Degree and a minimum of 4 years of professional experience.
* Requires proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office with an emphasis on Excel spreadsheet skills, PowerPoint, Internet and e-mail applications.
* Requires proficiency in the use of Internet and e-mail applications.
* Experience in the use of database applications and presentation software desirable. Candidate must have strong attention to detail and organizational skills.
* Experience in project administration and management procedures preferred.
* Applicants selected will be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for a “Secret” security clearance.