Nathan Associates is seeking a Principal Associate to support the Trade and Logistics Group within the International Development line of business from our home office in Arlington, Virginia. This position will require travel including to the Middle East, Africa, Southeast Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean, and other regions. Candidates must have an advanced degree in business, economics, trade, or other relevant field and twelve or more years of experience managing and working on donor-funded and/or development-related technical assistance projects, including working with senior level client, government, private sector, and NGO counterparts. Applicants should have specific knowledge or experience in areas such as trade policy, trade facilitation, logistics, and export competitiveness. Applicants must be self-directed and demonstrate an aptitude to work in a team environment, both as a leader and team player, and possess excellent management, communication, business development, and proposal and project management skills.
- Business Development – Lead and participate in business development activities, including proposal preparation and management (most commonly, this is as a lead drafter of technical proposals or as capture lead) and securing new business. Market to USAID, World Bank, and other donors; gather information on upcoming bid solicitations through travel to the field and building professional networks. Drafting and conceptualization of firm-wide or practice marketing materials. Develop business plans and lead efforts to target new clients, including private sector, and new areas for the firm within trade and logistics. Speak at international, regional, and national conferences related to trade and logistics. Develop and maintain contacts with potential clients, partners, consultants, and international institutions.
- Technical Work - Prepare reports for clients (requiring little or no editing by senior staff). Make presentations to clients (and to staff) on technical subjects relating to the practice area and client interests. Develop proprietary tools/methodologies for broader potential application.
- Project Management - Serve as technical director for designated donor projects and/or provide general oversight of specific projects. Manage complex projects (for clients or for internal purposes), including technical direction, staffing, contractual/subcontract oversight, budgeting, monitoring of progress, review/revision of final products. Prepare terms of reference for technical assistance activities for designated projects, including initiation of concept, technical design, and staffing. Mentor, train, and oversee work of young professionals.
- Internal capacity building – Provide informal and formal training and mentoring to Trade and Logistics staff. Support internal corporate initiatives and implement corporate policies and practices.
- MBA, M.A., or M.S. degree in relevant field;
- Twelve of more years of relevant work experience in trade-related areas, preferably with donor-funded projects in developing countries. Previous experience working in developing countries preferred; and
- Demonstrated leadership, decision-making, teambuilding, and management skills.
About the OrganizationNathan Associates Inc. is an employee-owned economic consulting firm. Established in 1946, the firm claims more than six decades of experience, a full-time staff of over 100 professionals, and a record of successful assignments the world over. Our mission is to provide high-quality, innovative consulting services to help private and public sector decision-makers solve the practical economic, financial, and management issues of today and tomorrow.
Nathan Associates has worked in Africa, Asia and the Pacific, Latin America and the Caribbean, and Europe. USAID and multilateral lending institutions such as the World Bank fund most of our international work, but individual private firms and foreign governments also request our assistance.
Internationally, our clients are public and private sector decision-makers responsible for setting policy and for overseeing performance of entire economies, sectors, business enterprises, or government agencies. We provide these policymakers and managers with economic, financial, and management analysis and assistance in strategy and program planning, institutional development, privatization of state-owned enterprises, and program and project implementation.
In our 63 years of consulting, we have worked extensively both at the macroeconomic level and in a broad range of economic sectors: transportation and other infrastructure, industry and commerce, financial services, natural resources, and agriculture and environment.
Despite the geographic and economic diversity of our assignments, two themes remain constant throughout Nathan Associates' work. First, in all our projects, we strive for collegial collaboration between our consulting teams and the management and staff of our client institutions, creating a shared sense of purpose and direction. Second, whenever appropriate, we emphasize technology transfer and human resource development for our client personnel, whether through formal workshops, seminars, and short courses, or on-the-job training.
Competition, innovation, and reward are the economic forces of life. The solutions we provide clients are powered by an understanding of these forces.
For more information about Nathan Associates, see our website: http://www.nathaninc.com.