Position title: Principal Financial Inclusion Officer - OFSD.2
Position N°: NA
Publication date: 07/05/2015
Closing date: 28/05/2015
The mandate of the Financial Sector Development Department is to help the Regional Member Countries (RMCs) increase reach (e.g. financial inclusion), depth (e.g. financial intermediation), and breadth (e.g. capital market, cross-border development) of financial systems, while safeguarding financial stability. The Department has four long-term objectives: (i) development of a vibrant private sector through an inclusive access by households and enterprises to financial services; (ii) strengthening markets participants; (iii) developing efficient capital markets, and (iv) deepening regional financial integration.
The Financial Inclusion Division supports the Bank’s RMCs in their aim for near universal access of essential financial services. The Incumbent will promote inclusive finance policies and support country and regional programs and projects to facilitate affordable access to basic financial services for the unbanked and underserved populations, leveraging innovative and technology-led solutions to achieve the ultimate goals of near universal access in RMCs by.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Division Manager of the Financial Inclusion Division and in collaboration with other staff of the Division, the Principal Financial Inclusion Officer will:
- Undertake and lead, as required, the Division’s work on aspects of access and financial inclusion and align them with institutional objectives and support the Bank’s access and financial inclusion products;
- Participate in, and lead on lending and grant funding initiatives for the purposes of access and financial inclusion;
- Provide technical advice to RMCs, Regional Economic Communities (RECs), the private and public sectors in developing, planning and implementing financial inclusion strategies;
- Participate in the development of a capacity building program of African Private and Public Institutions, to create an efficient platform for the provision of access and financial inclusion solutions to underserved populations in Africa;
- Contribute in the Building of partnerships within and outside the Bank for the promotion of access and financial inclusion (exchange of information on projects, policies, operational experience, identification of co-financing opportunities, organization of joint promotional activities, etc.);
- Participate in knowledge sharing and learning activities on access and financial inclusion, and contribute to dissemination activities, conferences, workshops and learning programs;
- Provide support to other duties as assigned by the Division Manager.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
Preferably a minimum of six (6) years of relevant professional experience in financial systems development or related field;
At least a Master’s or its equivalent in Development Economics, or any other discipline that is relevant to the operations of the Bank; strong knowledge of socio-economic development issues and policies of African countries.
The Principal Financial Inclusion Officer must be able to demonstrate:
- Good knowledge of the operational policies, procedures and practices of major bilateral and multilateral development agencies;
- Good operation experience in the Bank, with broad skills in operations evaluations, stakeholder engagement, and with strong analytical skills in assessment of institutional capacities and projects implementation;
- Excellent organizational, analytical, coordination and communication skills;
- Integrity, and ability to work under pressure and to deliver timely quality services;
- Ability to work accurately, methodically and to meet deadlines;
- Ability to work independently or within team; demonstrated mature sense of judgment;
- Ability to work and cooperate with others from diverse backgrounds;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and/or French, and preferably with a working knowledge of the other language;
- Competence in the use of Bank standard softwares (word, Excel, Access and Power point).
To apply for this position, you need to be national of one of AfDB member countries.
Only applicants who fully meet the Bank’s requirements and are being considered for interview will be contacted. Applicants will only be considered if they submit an online application, and attach a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV). The AfDB President reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level. The African Development Bank is an equal opportunities employer and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply: www.afdb.org/jobs