Job Title/Grade: Principal Global Practice Manager/Senior Principal Global Practice Manager, [WASH/IWRM] (12-13)
Department: Technical Services
Reports to: Sector Vice President (or delegate)
Date: April 26, 2019
Function of the Position:
The primary responsibility of the Manager will be to support the assigned Practice or Sector, including leading and supporting new business efforts, developing technical solutions, knowledge management, and product development, with a primary objective of demonstrating DAI’s thought and technical leadership and increasing sales and marketing.
The Manager will be responsible for building the capability of a number of direct reports by provided structured, focused, and on-going training, development, and coaching for performance.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Time will be allocated across business development, technical and knowledge management priorities according to corporate need and personal capabilities; however, the Manager will commit to spending a minimum of 20% of his/her time on leading, coaching, providing regular and directed performance feedback, and actively supporting the professional development of a number of direct reports within the sector.
- Creates a detailed onboarding plan for new employees to increase their productivity and sense of belonging to the team.
- Conducts regular one-on-one conversations (preferably monthly, but at a minimum quarterly) with direct reports to provide actionable feedback (both your own and what you solicit from matrixed teams or projects) on current work and behaviors.
- Identifies opportunities for direct reports such as proposals, short-term technical assignments, corporate initiatives. Follows-up with direct reports and reviews feedback instruments upon completion of these activities to provide feedback and spark learning and insights.
- Identifies professional development and stretch opportunities to support direct reports’ career aspirations.
- Supports direct reports’ management of their time allocation, particularly when there are potential utilization conflicts across practices, sectors, and/or Business Units.
- Coaches (in-the-moment and formally) for performance improvement to redirect behaviors and for success on new assignments.
- Recommends incentive-based compensation decisions related to promotions, salary increases, spot bonuses, etcetera.
- Proactively manages performance of direct reports not meeting expectations and partners with Human Resources to appropriately address performance issues as necessary
Business Development and Growth
- Responsibility for overseeing new business activities within one’s practice, including:
- Provides practice updates to new business tracker (to opportunity manager) and ensures opportunities are progressing in conjunction with Sector VP and Opportunity Manager
- Consults regularly with Sector VP and Managers to ensure collaboration and alignment of new business resources
- Manages practice staff to lead and contribute to high quality proposals; provides oversight of champions working on bids in practice/sector
- Provides quality control/quality assurance by participating in pink/red teams as necessary
- Reviews BAPs before they are submitted for approval
- Ensures that timely feedback on the quality of proposal support is provided to individuals and their supervisors.
- Serves as champion and/or lead writer on bids
- Participates in incubators to ensure high quality and innovation
- Contributes to teaming and personnel decisions made by bid champions to ensure soundness
- Serves as sounding board for writers and champions
- Participates in the technical leadership and services provided by the Sector/Practice to projects, new business endeavors and other internally and externally facing initiatives.
- Engages with COPs and project teams to identify, adapt, and refine technologies, tools, solutions and approaches that advance the project’s goals. These solutions may be both technical or operational.
- Supports projects as requested by USG Delivery to ensure a high standard of technical excellence in delivery of results according to client expectations. Actively participates across practices and regions to integrate with other core DAI competencies.
- Participates in cross-sector, cross-practice and cross-business unit initiatives that foster and build DAI’s technical leadership or advance process improvements across teams.
- Undertakes short-term technical assignments for projects including training, high quality technical reports, assessments, recommendations and other deliverables as requested.
Knowledge Management and Coordination
- In concert with the Sector Vice President, the Manager will be responsible for enhancing DAI’s brand to our main clients, DFID and USAID. The Manager will oversee the development of content for internal and external publications and communications including blogs, articles, reports, videos, presentations and other multi-media forms, and internal business development resources from DAI’s work in the technical area to enhance proposal quality.
- Supports the development and dissemination of DAI’s thought leadership with the aim of building and advancing DAI’s technical reputation and competitive position through participation in conferences, events and seminars, and social media.
- Works closely with Delivery, Strategy and Marketing, and other business units to capture technical achievements, lessons learned, and best practices to build on and advance DAI’s reputation as a thought leader in this technical area.
- Responsible for leading activities, efforts, and research relevant for the sector/practice. Develops integrated technical solutions that leverage technical skills and capabilities within and across sectors and in other DAI business units.
Additional responsibilities as deemed necessary.
- Grade 12: Minimum of 13 years relevant work experience and a Bachelor’s degree, or 11 years relevant work experience and a Master’s degree.
- Grade 13: Minimum of 17 years relevant work experience and a Bachelor’s degree, or 15 years relevant work experience and a Master’s degree.
- At least 10 years of experience working in/with developing countries and preferably leading and managing programs that deliver technical expertise/support in water supply, sanitation, and/or water resource management.
- Demonstrated experience conceptualizing and implementing strategic initiatives, including approaches for expanding service delivery to rural and urban populations; engaging disadvantaged populations in WASH/IWRM activities; and/or achieving improved equity, sustainability, and affordability in service provision.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and foster teams; to professionally develop staff; and to set team priorities, plans and strategies.
- Demonstrated ability to lead teams for winning new business and delivering excellent results to clients.
- Excellent writing skills and demonstrated experience writing strong technical proposals for USAID or other clients.
- Passionate about managing people
- Willing to spend 20% of time on direct report’s professional development
- Ability to travel to all countries where DAI implements its projects, barring times when DAI Global security has deemed travel unsafe an estimated 25% of the time for proposal reconnaissance and provision of technical support to projects.
Equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
- Fluency in Spanish and/or French is strongly preferred.
DAI is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply. EOE- Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans
About the Organization
DAI is an employee-owned global development company. For over 40 years, we have worked on the frontlines of international development, tackling fundamental social and economic development problems caused by inefficient markets, ineffective governments, and instability. Currently, DAI is delivering results that matter in some 60 countries. Our integrated development solutions turn ideas into impact by bringing together fresh combinations of expertise and innovation across multiple disciplines—crisis mitigation and stability operations, democratic governance and public sector management, agriculture and agribusiness, private sector development and financial services, economics and trade, HIV/AIDS and disease control, water and natural resources management, and energy and climate change. Our clients include international development agencies, international lending institutions, private corporations and philanthropies, and national governments.