Job Title: Principal IT Project Manager (9)
Department: Information Technology
Reports to: Senior Director, Information Technology
Date: March 3, 2020
Function of the Position:
The role of the Principal IT Project Manager is to provide leadership on high visibility data management and application development initiatives to ensure the design, development, implementation and rollout of new platforms and systems are carried out in an efficient and cost-effective manner. Projects will include substantial system integration and data architecture modernization efforts, as well as custom built application development and modernization. The candidate will be a key member of the Portfolio, Project and Resource Management team, within the Office of Information Management and Technology. Through the application of best practices, this team ensures that IT resources are used effectively to meet the strategic priorities of the business while maintaining high-quality operational performance. The Principal IT Project Manager provides leadership and coordination of resources across the organization in meeting IT project objectives and reports to Director of Portfolio, Project and Resource Management.
Roles and Responsibilities:
IT Project Management Support for Enterprise Data Initiatives
Define project scope, goals and deliverables that support strategic business initiatives in collaboration with senior management and business stakeholders. Build multi-disciplinary teams required to meet business demands, including surge capacities when need on critical projects. Delegate tasks and responsibilities to appropriate personnel. Identify and resolve issues and conflicts within the project team. Co-ordinate with other IT project managers to establish sound project management practices for managing projects of varying size, applying appropriate project management principles based on the complexity, size and business priority of each project. In all development and integration efforts, ensure corporate data across multiple systems is accessible and structured in ways that facilitate knowledge management and business intelligence that drives insights for sound decision-making. Coach, mentor, motivate and supervise project team members and contractors, and influence them to take positive action and accountability for their assigned work. Build, develop, and grow business relationships vital to the success of any project.
Manage Off-site Resources
Coordinate the inputs of IT professionals based in DAI’s shared services location in Hyderabad, India. Ensure the integration of these resources into IT project teams and, working closely with the Service Delivery Manager in India, ensure the efficient use of off-site resources across various enterprise initiatives. Interview candidates for IT positions within the off-shore team with a focus on fit with the team, communications skills, ability to quickly grasp business requirements and made sound decisions when working independently. Facilitate the candidates onboarding to ensure they receive the knowledge transfer required to integrate effectively. In this role, regular travel to India is anticipated.
Additional responsibilities may be assigned as business needs evolve.
- Grade 9: Minimum 7 years of relevant experience and a Bachelor’s or 5 years of relevant experience and a Master’s
- A minimum of 7 years of experience in Project / Program Management using leading methodologies and processes
- Proven ability to strategize and implement high-level program initiatives
- Experience in influencing, motivating, and managing staff of different disciplines to produce results in a timely manner
- Demonstrated ability to manage teams across multiple locations and create a sense of community among the members of a project team.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and demonstrated organizational abilities and leadership qualities
- Skilled in the use of MS Project or other applications for project planning
- Deep understanding of budgetary control and resource allocation procedures.
- Familiarity with AGILE project management methodologies, including Scrum
- Experience with system integration and data migration efforts
- Ability to travel; including quarterly trips to India.
Equivalent combination of education, training, and experience will be considered.
- Credentialed as a PMI Project Management Professional (PMP)®
- Experience with Microsoft cloud offerings, including O365 and MS Azure environment.
Supervisory Requirements: None
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.
About the Organization
DAI is an international development companywith corporate offices in the United States, the United Kingdom, Belgium, and Nigeria, and project operations worldwide. We tackle fundamental social and economic development problems caused by inefficient markets, ineffective governance, and instability. Named one of the world’s top 40 international development innovators, DAI has delivered transformational development results in more than 150 countries for clients including development agencies, international lending institutions, private corporations and philanthropies, and national governments.