IBTCI is seeking an experienced and motivated Principal, Monitoring, Evaluation, Research and Learning (MERL), to lead its work in MERL.
Essential Duties/Tasks and Responsibilities:
Under the oversight of the President, or his/her designee:
Practice Management Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the financial performance of a practice area including billability, burn rates, metrics, etc.
- Overall responsibility for increasing and maintaining positive CPAR scores for projects.
- Supervise, mentor and evaluate senior staff communicating clear performance objectives and standards, providing regular performance feedback.
- Promote staff development through coaching, mentoring, and facilitating professional growth opportunities.
- Promote and exemplify IBTCI core values and ethical standards and manage staff to adhere as well.
- In collaboration with staff, oversee the development of job descriptions and set performance objectives.
Program Management responsibilities include, but not limited to:
Overall accountability and responsibility for project implementation, management, and quality control activities of all Practice projects while ensuring the highest level of client and corporate satisfaction as per quality, timeliness, cost control, compliance and management. Responsibilities may include:
- Serve in roles such as Senior Technical Advisor, Project Director and/ or Quality Control Officer.
- Assume interim role (to fill temporary gaps) of team leadership/ key positions on US based projects.
- Responsible for all aspects of the project management cycle.
- Overall strategic technical oversight for contract implementation.
Technical responsibilities include, but not limited to:
Ensure technical soundness of contractual deliverables to the highest level of client and corporate satisfaction:
- Responsible for the oversight of the technical soundness of contractual deliverables and ensuring the quality of the final output of projects under the Practice and his/her direct management.
- Provide quality assurance technical reviews of key contractual deliverables and ensuring the quality of the final output of project within his/ her portfolio.
- Play a leadership role in helping teams find the best option to execute the technical work.
- Serve as a senior technical expert in multiple capacities/roles including:
- Assist in reviewing, amending, and authoring reports from a technical perspective in order to ensure top quality deliverables
- Provide qualitative and/or quantitative analysis in support of ongoing projects/evaluations;
- Program evaluations, assessments and related sector or policy studies;
- Lead or provide assistance in the design of performance management systems and evaluation frameworks, methodologies and tools;
- Share and disseminate cutting edge technical trends, knowledge, skills and abilities with colleagues.
- Serve as Short Term Technical Assistance Expert on prime and subcontract awards.
- Provide training and other specialized services as required.
Business Development (BD) responsibilities include, but not limited to:
Responsible for the growth of the Practice.
- Develop and implement practice strategic and business plans.
- Responsible for individual and practice business development and growth targets.
- Primary focus on practice areas but also ranging into cross-practice initiatives.
- Serve in roles such as technical champion/lead and/or lead writer on proposals and request for information.
- Lead and/or provide overall contributions to the technical approaches of proposals including, but not limited to, appropriate and innovative conceptual frameworks and methodologies.
- Undertake bid/no-bid vetting, teaming, recruitment, and proposal management (on smaller practice bids), to include all support activities through to timely submission of high quality offers.
- Represent IBTCI at BD related meetings with clients, partners and consultants.
Additional Duties/Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Represent IBTCI in industry conference and workshops.
- Lead technical presentations at international conferences, workshops, and symposia.
- Author white papers, reports, or briefs to promote IBTCI intellectual prowess in its product and services
- Provide in-house training to home and field staff on MERL methodologies or sector-related subject matter.
- Stay informed on industry market trends, best practices and state-of-the-art developments, and share with staff to ensure that the firm remains in the forefront of MERL issues in international development.
- Travel is essential, and may include travel to fragile and conflict-affected areas. Up to 35% travel may be expected with this position.
- Other duties/tasks as assigned.
- Progressively senior management positions, in USG foreign assistance programs, including:
- Advanced degree and 20 years of international development experience in International Development
- 10 years of experience in M&E including demonstrated expertise: monitoring (e.g. indicator development, assessing data quality, developing M&E plans) and evaluation (e.g., evaluation design, data collection instruments, sampling, qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis).
- 10 years of progressively senior level management experience managing a business unit, practice and/or division.
- Demonstrated experience leading and writing successful technical proposals for international projects for USG clients.
- Experience in strategic planning and business planning.
- Management of a variety of contractual mechanisms.
- Strong communication skills (oral and written) required.
- Superior interpersonal skills with the ability to work with all levels of the organization.
- Oral and written fluency in the English language is required.
Education: Master’s degree or the equivalent advanced degree in International Affairs, International Development, Policy Analysis, Economics, Public Administration, Business Administration, Statistics/Social Research, Health, Agriculture or related fields.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Direct experience in a technical capacity in M&E under USG projects.
- Experience in agriculture/food security, conflict and crisis, democracy and governance, economic growth, education, environment, and global health
- Management of multiple projects in a variety of settings simultaneously.
- Experience working with USAID is highly desirable.
- Experience with non-USG international development clients is a plus.
- Experience in all aspects of the business proposal process: capture strategy management; teaming/partnering; research; recruitment; writing; red-teaming; technical inputs for costing, etc.
- Demonstrable results oriented, flexible and problem solving skills.
Working Environment: Work is typically performed in an office environment.
Physical Requirements: Must be able to remain in a stationary position for long periods of time. As needed, must be able to consistently operate a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a copy machine.
Supervisory Responsibility: CoP(s)/ Team Leader(s), Director(s), Manager(s) and Associate(s) may report to this position.
Travel: Travel is essential, and may include travel to fragile and conflict-affected areas. Up to 35% travel may be expected with this position.
Work Authorization: Must be authorized to work in the USA.
IBTCI is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity for all persons without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, national origin, disabled veteran or Vietnam-era veteran, or any other classification protected by applicable anti-discrimination laws. We prohibit and do not tolerate any form of discrimination or harassment. We are an E-Verify Employer. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
If you are an applicant with a disability that requires a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process or are limited in the ability, or unable to use the online application system and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact Human Resources at 703-749-0100.
About the Organization
International Business & Technical Consultants, Inc. (IBTCI), a U.S. based international development consulting company established in 1987, has worked in over one hundred countries and implemented over three hundred projects. IBTCI serves government agencies, private sector companies and several donor agencies. IBTCI specializes in Monitoring, Evaluation, Research and Learning (MERL) across many sectors including, but not limited to, agriculture/food security, conflict and crisis, democracy and governance, economic growth, education, environment, and global health.