The Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) has been rapidly building up its investment portfolio since operations started in January 2016. To strengthen its portfolio management, AIIB’s Investment Operations Department (IOD) is recruiting a Principal Portfolio Management Officer (PMO) who will work closely with the Manager of its Implementation Monitoring Unit (IMU) to ensure that sovereign- and nonsovereign-backed (SBF and NSBF) portfolios are of good quality and achieve AIIB’s financial, strategic and development goals.
The Principal PMO—Corporate Portfolio will cooperate with and guide IMU staff who are focused on project monitoring and supervision and will work across departments with AIIB’s Strategy, Risk and Controller functions.
1. Corporate Portfolio Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting:
- Help design and develop effective portfolio monitoring and reporting tools, including dashboards and periodic analytical portfolio reports to Senior Management and the Board.
- Coordinate with AIIB’s Risk Department on developing and rolling out appropriate portfolio risk and performance metrics; manage the watchlist of projects at risk.
- Perform periodic and ad hoc stress tests analysis on AIIB’s portfolio and coordinate business and strategic implications with Risk and Strategy colleagues.
- Provide thought leadership and liaise with AIIB’s strategy department on development impact and results measurement.
- Guide project PMOs on equity valuation and perform an internal control function on periodic valuations.
- Perform ad hoc analysis on the financial and developmental results of AIIB’s portfolio as required by Senior Management or the Board.
2. Contribute to AIIB’s Investment Workflow and Systems Design:
- Lead IMU’s contribution to AIIB’s investment and portfolio workflow and systems design and development.
- Scout for and help introduce best practices in portfolio management and project monitoring and supervision from other international commercial banks or multilaterals.
- Develop, update and maintain portfolio management guidelines and procedures; develop workflows and monitoring and supervision templates.
3. Looping “Lessons Learned” from the portfolio back into the investment cycle:
- Be the focal point for lessons learned from portfolio management and project monitoring.
- Spearhead knowledge and experience feedback loops from portfolio and project supervision to the origination teams and to AIIB staff in general.
4. Assist the IMU Manager in managing AIIB’s Portfolio:
- Help proactively manage AIIB’s SBF and NSBF portfolio in terms of risk exposure and the achievement of financial, strategic and development goals.
- Help maintain an active communication channel between IMU and AIIB’s Senior Management and Board on portfolio matters and provide relevant input for decision making and strategy formulation.
- Assist the IMU Manager in building mid-office Portfolio Teams.
- Minimum 15 years of relevant experience in managing SBF and NSBF infrastructure project loans and equity investments;
- Sound knowledge of credit analysis, project finance structuring, equity valuation and portfolio supervision through prior work at international banks or multilaterals;
- Demonstrated ability to draw strategic and business insights from large sets of data and to formulate compelling and actionable recommendations;
- Superior verbal communication skills in English combined with an ability to synthesize complex issues into effective oral and written communication;
- Ability to collaborate with others and work in teams while respecting and building on different points of view;
- Previous experience in deal origination, project structuring and negotiation is a plus but is not a prerequisite;
- Experience in Asia would be a plus (including Middle East and Central Asia);
- Master’s degree (such as economics, finance, business administration, international relations or similar field relevant to the AIIB’s operations) or equivalent experience.
Previous experience and qualifications will determine the employee level at which a successful applicant will enter AIIB.
About the Organization
We are the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB), a multilateral development bank with a mission to improve social and economic outcomes in Asia. Headquartered in Beijing, we commenced operations in January 2016 and have now grown to 100 approved members worldwide. By investing in sustainable infrastructure and other productive sectors today, we will better connect people, services and markets that over time will impact the lives of billions and build a better future.