The Privacy Engineer will be responsible for interacting with internal Privacy Program Managers, Data Product Development teams, Legal, Compliance, Governance and Data Protection teams to reduce digital information and data risks. The position analyzes, designs, programs, debugs, and modifies software enhancements to develop and integrate new data streams on a project-by-project basis. The goals will be to develop technical solutions and systems to help: mitigate privacy vulnerabilities; facilitate scientific research; document data processes; steer publication decisions; and streamline operating procedures that may directly or indirectly contribute to future privacy risks. The Privacy Engineer will develop technical solutions and systems that employ statistical disclosure limitation methods.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
Use data anonymization and cryptographic techniques to develop systems that will preserve and improve privacy protection. The implementations should advance compliance with legal forms of data use as well as support business use of data.
- Analyze, design and program software enhancements for new data streams with a goal of developing technical solutions and systems to help mitigate privacy vulnerabilities and prevent potential future privacy risks.
- Develop a framework for incorporating data anonymization, pseudonimization and encryption to preserve and improve privacy protections of USAID data assets.
- Evaluate/test different privacy-preserving techniques for operational effectiveness differential privacy, data de-identification, privacy statistical properties of data sets (k-anonymity, l-diversity), etc…
- Employ methods of statistical disclosure controls to mitigate the privacy risks associated with the public disclosure of development data.
- Collaborate with the Privacy Legal Expert to perform regular privacy assessments of data, operational processes; and to identify and mitigate risks through effective tools, training and guidance.
- Acts as key interface to data science and analytics communities both within and outside of the organization.
Education: BS or MS degree in computer science, computer engineering, information systems, privacy engineering or related field of study.
Experience: At least three years of work experience in privacy / data protection or a graduate degree or concentration in privacy engineering.
Knowledge and Skills
- Ability to balance risks in ambiguous and complex situations.
- Understanding of industry privacy risk management frameworks (NIST).
- Experience or understanding of software applications design tools and languages.
- Competent in the interpretation of numeric data and in the application of statistical principles.
- Experience using one or more specialized data processing software packages (SAS, SPSS, STATA, R, etc.).
- Ability to perform operations on large datasets, including automated verification and validation.
- Data literacy: Competent in finding and managing data, cleansing and manipulating data; ability to appropriately address extremes, outliers, etc.
The Privacy Engineer will be expected to master techniques to reduce disclosure risks, such as those outlined in the National Institute of Standards and Technology publication 8053, De-Identification of Personal Information and similar professional publications.
The applicant must be a U.S. citizen to qualify for the required U.S. government security clearance for this project.
NOTE: This job posting should not be construed to imply that the requirements are the exclusive standards of the position, nor will it be the sole basis for any subsequent employee evaluations. Incumbents will follow any other instructions and perform any other related duties as may be required by their supervisor.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or other status protected by applicable law.
About the Organization
DevTech Systems, Inc. (DevTech) is an international consulting firm dedicated to development, with 35 years of experience providing advisory services and technical assistance to government, private sector, and civil society stakeholders in more than 100 countries. DevTech core practice areas include: Economic and Data analysis, Monitoring and Evaluation, Education and Youth Development, Gender and Inclusive Development, and Public Financial Management.