Through ZemiTek’s LS-ISC contract, the Office of Local Sustainability, within USAID’s Bureau for Economic Growth, Education and Environment (E3/LS), is seeking a Private Enterprise Officer (for a 12-month full-time assignment) to support E3’s Office of Private Capital and Microenterprise in implementing the agency’s Private Sector Engagement (PSE) strategy and serve as an expert on the mobilization of private capital for development. In addition, this position will support the objectives of USAID’s Local Sustainability Office (E3/LS) by focusing on deepening partnerships with local development actors to facilitate a sustainable, locally-led approach to PSE.
The market based approaches that serve as the foundation of PSE allow USAID and our partners to support countries in building the requisite skills, resources, knowledge, local institutions, and incentives that enable local systems and markets to become self-sustaining. This position will strengthen PCMs ability to promote partnering directly with local leaders, networks, and institutions to better enable missions working on PSE to respond to complex development challenges with smarter, more resilient, and home-grown solutions.
Position description: The private enterprise officer maintains a broad awareness of private investment and status of financial inclusion in focus USAID countries and provides guidance to other senior technical experts in planning, design, budgeting, implementation, and evaluation of these substantial programs. In addition, the incumbent maintains contacts with U.S. agencies, the private sector, other donors and cooperating country government officials, with the objective of coordinating on programs and projects that leverage private capital for development priorities and supporting policies and frameworks that catalyze private investment and promote financial inclusion.
The incumbent will advise and assist missions with policy and program advice to develop activities that leverage private capital and promote financial inclusion and are tailored to the local operating environments. The incumbent will travel to field missions to evaluate programs provide advice and assistance to all levels of personnel and host country officials and solve pressing problems. The advice of this Private Enterprise Officer will increase incorporation of locally led development principles into USAID’s PSE activities.
Knowledge and Skills Required:
- The specific factors affecting the local private sector environment in USAID partner countries.
- The general economic characteristics of USAID countries, their major legal, business and financial problems, and the principal internal economic factors and trends influencing these countries’ economic stability and development is also required.
- Agency policies and procedures governing program selections and project design, review, approval, and implementation; the potential impact of project and non- project assistance on development and the formulation of development policies, strategies, and methodologies in private and business development.
- Financial and business principles, operations and practices of privately-owned businesses; understanding of the relationship of host country government and the private sector and the role of the private sector in economic development.
- Ability to analyze data and information from several sources and arrive at logical conclusions.
- Oral communications and ability to convincingly speak to various groups on complex topics in order to present and defend Agency perspectives concerning the policy environment for trade, financial, and privatization programs in a persuasive manner to outside groups and organizations and to exercise leadership in framing key issues.
When applying please submit a current resume and cover letter.
About the Organization
ZemiTek, LLC is a Woman-Owned, SBA-certified 8(a) Small Disadvantage Business (SDB) based in the Washington, DC metro area. We have a strong record delivering innovative and high-quality solutions. Since 2007, ZemiTek has provided technical assistance, project management, information technology (IT), knowledge management, monitoring and evaluation, training and learning development, and institutional support services.