Chemonics seeks a private sector development specialist (PSD) for the anticipated USAID/Women’s Economic Development (WED) Activity. The overall objective of WED is to provide a comprehensive approach to women’s entry into the economy and create the necessary conditions for achieving and maintaining peace. The focus of the Activity’s technical assistance will be on providing women-owned businesses and entrepreneurs in Afghanistan with access to finance and capacity building opportunities as well as carrying out workforce development activities. The project will be based in Kabul, Afghanistan with potential domestic travel within Afghanistan. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
- Provide technical leadership and guidance in the following:
- Establishment of an SME assistance effort grounded in enterprise competitiveness and buyer-led approaches and methodologies
- Strengthen and support business incubation and acceleration services in Afghanistan
- Support efforts to improve the bankability and investment readiness of Afghanistan women-owned SMEs.
- Hold all skills and knowledge required of the Business Development Advisors in order to strengthen their technical abilities
- Understanding of and experience in Afghanistan’s major and growing industries
- Experience working with enterprises of multiple sizes (from MSMEs to large firms) to develop business plans, access finance, and increase sales
- Experience with export facilitation
- Ability to innovate and work with Afghanistan businesses and services to improve the ability of women, minorities, displaced people, and others likely to be marginalized to successfully join the private sector
- Measure success – contribute to the WED team’s understanding of measuring success specific to women-owned business contributions to economic growth and job creation
- Review, prepare and submit monthly, quarterly and annual progress report to the senior management and PMU
- Perform other tasks as assigned by Supervisor
- Five to seven years of experience in business development advising, preferably including experience in a conflict or post-conflict environment with populations similar to those WED seeks to serve
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in business, finance, or a related field.
- Experience working in private sector development and/or experience as a business advisor
- Experience working/consulting with private sector firms at the firm level to support growth
- Knowledge of business and financial operations, strategic planning, return on investment and risk mitigation
- Demonstrated experience in stakeholder consultation, working with professional associations, and reaching consensus among multiple private sector stakeholders
- Ability to communicate effectively in a cross-cultural environment
- Strong staff management and supervisory experience
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting
- Excellent written and verbal English language skills
- Experience working in Afghanistan required
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
Please send an email with “Private Sector Development Specialist” in the subject line and your CV and cover letter attached to AfghanistanWEDRecruitment@chemonics.com by 3/10/2021. Early submissions are encouraged, and applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. No telephone inquiries, please. Only finalists will be contacted.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.
Chemonics values the protection of your personal data. If you are in the European Union, please read our EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice to learn how we process personal data. You may access the notice via the following link: https://chemonics.com/eu-recruiting-data-privacy-notice/.
About the Organization
Owned entirely by employees, Chemonics is an ISO-9001 certified international development company. For more than 40 years, we have partnered with local and international organizations to promote social and economic change around the world.
Chemonics International is a leading international development consulting firm based in Washington, D.C. with more than 40 years of experience implementing programs around the world.