Do you believe that everyone deserves access to affordable, quality healthcare? Are you driven by creativity, bold ideas, and disruptive innovation? Are you inspired by exceptionally talented, diverse, impact-oriented colleagues? Do you thrive in a dynamic, high-growth, fast-paced environment? Most importantly, are you fed-up with the status quo of foreign assistance in the health sector? Then consider a job with ThinkWell.
The Private Sector Director is a full-time position that will accelerate appropriate private sector engagement in health systems in low- and middle-income countries (LMIC). To this end the Director will drive the growth and delivery of ThinkWell’s commercial sector portfolio. The Director will lead existing collaboration and identify and deliver new partnerships with private sector firms, create new business lines, unlock new funding streams and foster innovative ways of addressing old challenges within health systems. Private sector players may include private providers within countries, commercial clients, private foundations, impact investors and private not-for-profit collaborators.
Projects within this portfolio include:
- Delivering solutions which mobilize private capital for bottom quintiles in LMIC, which will facilitate more responsive health systems and ultimately greater health impact;
- Piloting innovative financing mechanisms to support expansion of fiscal space for health (including Reinsurance, Development Impact Bonds, Trust funds);
- Regional landscaping and country case studies to understand health financing structures and resource trends, to inform strategic engagement of private sector actors and their alignment with national health priorities;
- Designing and delivering market landscaping, business systems, governance mechanisms and strategic financing, to prototype and scale strategic investment decisions for social enterprises;
- Strategic advisory work with commercial clients.
This role requires a combination of strong management acumen and a creative mindset to drive program delivery, ideation, innovation and growth. We are seeking an individual who will enable and empower teams, contribute to our organizational values, learning and high performance while driving external engagement with our partners and funders.
The candidate will report to the CEO and will preferably be based in ThinkWell’s Washington DC or Geneva office. Alternate East Coast U.S. location is possible.
What you’ll do:
Who you are:
- Lead on development and refinement of a ThinkWell private sector strategy, focusing on:
Identifying and mobilizing ways to leverage private providers within national health systems to achieve better health outcomes;
- Exercising approaches to foster creative partnerships and innovative funding flows from industry, foundations, and other private firms to diversify ThinkWell’s portfolio and funding sources.
- Development of ThinkWell’s approach and role in the impact investing and blended finance space which leverages the firm’s financing expertise in health systems;
- Provide technical and management oversight for ThinkWell’s portfolio of projects, across corporate advisory services, incubation for social enterprises and engagement of private sector actors for universal health coverage;
- Provide supportive line management for the private sector team, while ensuring harmonization, cross learning, and knowledge sharing;
- Provide oversight and facilitation of program quality assurance including; program reviews, monitoring and course correction, in line with client’s requirements and internal policies;
- Participate in advisory groups across ThinkWell’s strategic projects to guide global and country-level teams in areas such as public-private partnerships, private sector landscaping and assessments, innovative and blended financing mechanisms etc.
- Work with Design Lab and program teams to expand our reach, resources and networks by publishing position papers, briefers and hosting dissemination events;
- Build internal capacity across ThinkWell teams for integration of private sector innovations into our global and country-level portfolios.
- Work with The Well (our internal hub for knowledge management & training) to develop learning and development materials, training and mentorship;
- Inspiring leader who models the principles of conscious leadership and embraces facilitation and mentorship as the primary tools for leadership;
- Ability to rally staff around ThinkWell’s advocacy-oriented and transformative vision
- Possesses a distaste for the status quo of the development sector with a burning desire to catalyze its transformation;
- Has a ‘can-do’, ‘anything is possible, ‘start-up’ ethos combined with a strong sense of urgency and action orientation;
- Strong belief that traditional, top-down management is a relic of the past and used as a last-resort management tool. Instead, you possess a strong desire to lead with a facilitative and mentoring approach;
- Thoughtful systems thinker with grounded, pragmatic understanding of the complexities of achieving development outcomes;
- Committed to modeling a work culture that strongly espouses individual authenticity, radical feedback, intelligent failure, and collective impact;
- Ability to flourish in a dynamic organization that fundamentally values iteration and evolution over stability and predictability;
- Ability to externally represent and convey ThinkWell’s passion, conviction, impatience, and desire to see change;
- Intuitive ability to relate and connect with people from different cultures, orientations, and operating lenses (political, technical, funder, business partner, etc); with special acumen on maintaining positive relations in a virtual world.
1. Master’s graduate in business, finance, economics, health, or related field.
2. At least 10 years of relevant industry experience (management consulting, pharmaceutical, medical device manufacturing, health financing and investment) with a demonstrated track record of achieving results.
3. Demonstrated career progression, assuming increasingly complex roles over time, and an ability to manage and mentor teams.
4. Experience successfully engaging and brokering “workable coalitions” among a variety of stakeholders: donors, government, companies, civil society, and/or financial institutions.
5. Pre-existing relationships with private sector clients/networks and a solid track record of working in the public/private health space.
6. Some experience working in or with Low-Middle Income Country partners. International development health sector experience a plus.
7. Demonstrated skills in executing or advising on private investment deals in challenging markets.
8. Excellent oral and written communication skills.
9. Exceptional attention to detail and persistence.
10. Willingness to travel at least 30% of time.
11. Fluency in English required. Working knowledge of French or another major language is desired.
- Master’s graduate in business, finance, economics, health, or related field.
- At least 15 years of experience working within the private sector and/or on private sector issues, with a demonstrated track record of achieving results.
- Demonstration of career progression in terms of taking on increasingly complex roles over time, and an ability to manage and mentor teams.
- Experience successfully engaging and building “workable coalitions” among a variety of stakeholders that could include donors, government, private sector companies, civil society, or financial institutions.
- Strong networks with private sector firms, researchers focused on the private sector, funders, and other relevant players.
- Demonstrated skills in executing private investment deals in difficult circumstances.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Exceptional attention to detail and persistence.
- Willingness to travel at least 30% of time.
- Fluency in English required, and working knowledge of another language is desired.