The Philippine Youth Activity will work with the Government of the Philippines to support improved basic education and life skills for vulnerable youth. The project outcomes will include improved literacy, life and employability skills; strengthened local capacity to deliver education and training service delivery; and strengthened youth leadership and engagement.
The project will focus on engaging out-of-school youth (OSY) in workforce and community development activities, through provision of critical training and post-training support to OSYs such as civic engagement activities, entrepreneurship, and job placements. To provide demand-driven skills training and support the project will work closely with the Department of Education’s Alternative Learning Systems and the Technical Education and Skills Development Authority’s livelihood skills training. The key components include:
- Convening key stakeholders including local governments, academia, the private sector, and national government agencies to address out-of-school youth issues, in conjunction with Out-of-School Youth Development Alliances.
- Strengthen life skills of Out-of-School Youth and increase youth civic engagement.
- Certify Out-of-School Youth with nationally-recognized vocational credential, improving employment options.
- Engage highly-marginalized Out-of-School Youth sub-populations across gender, disability, and other issues related to equitable access.
The Private Sector Engagement Manager will provide technical leadership and guidance to the program in private sector engagement and entrepreneurship, and supervise a team of officers focused on bridging the gap between employers and jobseekers. In addition, this position will work closely with the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL), Education and Communications lead to develop implementation strategies that maximize opportunities for integration across the program. S/he will ensure progress towards the project targets. S/he will also be responsible for coordinating with local partners and the Government of the Philippines entities.
Private Sector Engagement:
- Develop a private sector engagement strategy for increasing youth employment in urban and rural areas.
- Work with/build capacity of local government agencies (PESO, DOL, TESDA, DTI, etc) to engage and work with the private sector (large companies to small enterprises).
- Facilitate workshops and round tables with private sector and training institutions to develop relevant curricula and internship/apprenticeship programs.
- Advising on methods to improve the efficiency of training programs, time management, and/or providing mentoring services to conduct business more efficiently.
- Establish linkages to ongoing government funded employment programs.
- Develop labor market mapping and assessment, and train relevant stakeholders in roll out.
Staff development and supervision
- Supervises the Private Sector Engagement team
- Carry out orientations, regular performance coaching and staff performance appraisals
- Conduct regular technical staff meetings to foster strong teamwork, creative problem solving, communication and holistic thinking.
- Assists with staff training and development.
- Fosters an environment that promotes coordinated and comprehensive effort amongst partners.
Coordination and Communication:
- Serve as a member of the Project senior management team
- Coordinate with other peers all activities in support of the Project.
- Mediate as necessary among local actors during project life.
- Ensure systems are in place for the proper documentation of meetings and timely circulation of resulting information/outcomes.
- Masters in Business Administration, Economics, Public Policy, Finance or a relevant field.
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience implementing business and/or workforce development programming with a focus on youth employment, entrepreneurship, capacity building of local institutions, and public-private partnerships;
- Proven experience in program areas, including private sector development, entrepreneurship
- Demonstrated ability to strategically lead high quality technical staff
- Knowledge of USAID and USG grant regulations and procedures, a plus
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English required
- First-hand experience working with Government partners, and local community structures.
- Be a strong team player, be able to inspire staff and have the ability to coach staff as a mentor, and have highly developed interpersonal and multicultural skills.
- Be a good listener, have the ability to solicit diverse and counter perspectives, yet be a decisive leader.
We are a global provider of integrated professional services which enrich the physical and social environment for the communities in which we live and work. Our team of multidisciplinary specialists has more than 70 years’ experience in designing, developing and delivering sustainable projects and community advancement programs.
Equal Opportunity Statement
Cardno has a long standing policy of Equal Opportunity in employment. Our practice is to fill positions by selecting applicants who can perform the work in a competent and professional manner. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or veteran status. At any time, if you need an accommodation during the application process, please contact Human Resources.
About the Organization
Cardno has a 50-year history of working in partnership with developing countries to deliver solutions for sustainable development. Through the expertise of professionals operating in more than 100 countries, we investigate the causes of poverty and focus on improving the physical, economic and social infrastructure that sustains communities.