HSR builds on the accomplishments of other USAID projects including the COMPRI-A project and Health Policy Project - specifically improving the private sector policy environment, building the capacity of key MoPH departments such as Private Sector Coordination, Health Economics and Finance, Licensing and streamlining and improving health sector systems such as the National Health Accounts, Expenditure Management Information System (EMIS), hospital Public-Private Partnership (PPP) procurement processes, implementing private hospital Minimum Required Standards (MRS) to ensure safety and quality, private sector HMIS, and the private health center licensing process. Palladium seeks an experienced Third Country National (TCN) Private Sector Specialist to support HSR. It will be a full-time position based in Kabul.
The Private Sector Specialist will work closely with the technical staff of the HSR project and the technical experts in the US to provide support and guidance to the MoPH, especially the Deputy Ministers’ offices, General Directorate of Policy and Planning, Department of Private Sector Coordination, the PPP unit, and the EHIS Department, and will also require close collaboration with other ministries, such as MoCI and MoF, to advocate for good governance and health in all policies. The Specialist will also work directly with the businesses throughout the health sector value chain in-order-to improve overall business/operational management, stimulate partnerships and investment, improve the quality of goods, services and the overall quality of health care.
* Identify and initiate private sector development initiatives, including strengthening the MoPH private sector stewardship and regulatory capacity, improving coordination between the public and private sector, and capacity development of the private sector businesses.
* Identify business regulation issues/challenges and make/implement recommendations for improvements.
* Identify and work with businesses, partners and other stakeholders to continue to develop and improve the private sector business environment including legislative efforts, licensing, business/operational management, incentives and improved access to capital.
* Provide training and mentoring that will enable the private sector health care businesses to effectively manage their businesses, stimulate growth and provide quality health care products and services.
* Work with business to increase access to finance, facilitate investment promotion, trade finance programs and increase local and foreign private sector investment in the health sector.
* Assist others on the HSR team on matters related to private sector.
* Support short-term local consultants and subcontractors assigned to private sector.
* Represent the project and company in the health private sector areas in Afghanistan and with others in the professional community.
* Participate in the design and implementation of related technical support activities.
* Keep up-to-date on key developments in private sector (health) governance, policy and regulation in Afghanistan and abroad to inform technical support activities.
* Interact and collaborate regularly with the Government of Afghanistan, stakeholders, multilateral partners and donor agencies relevant to private sector health governance.
* Work with MoPH to strengthen their internal coordination and communication between health sector strengthening projects.
* Five (5) years of work experience in leadership, governance, private sector development, public administration and management areas on projects of similar size and complexity
* Five (5) years of demonstrated professional experience in projects of same size or complexity
* Worked in Afghanistan and an understanding of regional issues
* Degree in public administration, governance and/or management or related area; advanced degree a plus; additional degree in health-related area also a bonus
* Working in health sector is a plus, especially ministries of health
* Understanding of Afghanistan ministerial or public management systems a plus
* Experience in mentoring staff and building capacity of individuals and teams
* Strong written and oral communication skills in English for high-level policy audiences (writing examples may be required)
* Ability and willingness to live in Kabul, Afghanistan for extended periods of time.
About the Organization
Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status. The goal of the Health Sector Resiliency Project is to support the Government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan (GIRoA) to foster a strengthened, reformed, and increasingly self-reliant Afghan health system prepared for the decreased donor support anticipated over the coming decade. The HSR Project acts as a resource and a catalyst to the MoPH and other GIRoA entities as it considers and implements critical sector-wide reforms that are required to make the system more resilient and sustainable.